Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

25 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Quite obviously NOT in Alison's office!!!  Do you see any pumpkins out of the window, Alison?  If so, I hear they are of the 'technical error' variety.  Sadly, hardly rare nowadays ... :)

Oddly enough, I actually have a pumpkin in the kitchen at the moment. A real  whole pumpkin, not a can of puréed pumpkin or bag of frozen pieces (long story....lol). Will see if it helps me receive the livestream!  😂

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't go in via the link on this thread but via the What's On section of the website and that connected to youtube without a hitch.

It was a good session and a real privilege to watch Laura Morera coaching.

Not really very much information about how the production might have been 'developed' except for the fact that one pairing of Ugly Sisters will be female. No names mentioned!!!

• Like 5

I find the easiest way is just go to YouTube, and search for:   royal ballet insight

I've done it so often now that YouTube just puts the screen for the next up and coming insight  in my list without me having to ask for it nowadays

• Thanks 1

I used the What’s On part of the main website too....so funny and fun to see Cinderella (ie Morera in April) coaching Fairy variations! The variations look harder in rehearsal than on stage! Can’t wait to see Laura as Cinders after I’ve enjoyed seeing her as Fairy Godmother several times. Roll on April. 😊

• Like 2

I tried that.  But then my stupid computer had reinstalled Bing on top of Google, so that didn't work.  Amazing how two (presumably identical) links to the same YT page can behave differently, isn't it?  I was definitely on the YT page and it was counting down to the start, and then BAM! - error message.

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

Not really very much information about how the production might have been 'developed' except for the fact that one pairing of Ugly Sisters will be female. No names mentioned!!!

It really is frustrating (and surely unnecessary) that the casting of the Fairy Godmother and the Sisters has not been included in the booking info. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, alison said:

I tried that.  But then my stupid computer had reinstalled Bing on top of Google, so that didn't work.  Amazing how two (presumably identical) links to the same YT page can behave differently, isn't it?  I was definitely on the YT page and it was counting down to the start, and then BAM! - error message.

How about going to the ROH YouTube account- I think it is still transmitting the last 5 minutes, with Laura and Amelia rehearsing the Autumn variation. The whole recording will be uploaded in several hours (and certainly tomorrow)  though, fear not. 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I was rather surprised that it will be just one pairing. I had (admittedly vaguely) thought from the previous info that there would be multiple pairs of each gender & was therefore hoping that having booked for several casts I would get to see both options. Now I bet the only female pair will end up only dancing with one of the casts I haven't booked for!

I was reassured by the interview with the designer that it sounds like the video elements will be fairly discreet & there will be plenty of proper scenery too. When I saw a video designer credited I was afraid it would be some awfully modern concept with video all over the place & no real sets.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

I went to see this tonight and it was a very enjoyable evening, my main takaway was how Laura will be one of the biggest assets to the Royal Ballet, she was so lovely to both dancers, nothing but encouraging and the corrections were so detailed, you could see how she just knows the work inside out.

Both dancers looked great for their parts, Annette had some gorgeous lines, especially after Laura's corrections, absolutely beautiful and Amelia, just wow, cannot wait to see that solo tackled! 

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, emmarose said:

I went to see this tonight and it was a very enjoyable evening, my main takaway was how Laura will be one of the biggest assets to the Royal Ballet, she was so lovely to both dancers, nothing but encouraging and the corrections were so detailed, you could see how she just knows the work inside out.

Both dancers looked great for their parts, Annette had some gorgeous lines, especially after Laura's corrections, absolutely beautiful and Amelia, just wow, cannot wait to see that solo tackled! 

I watched the stream and was so impressed. Laura Morera is a wonderful teacher (she has a wonderful eye for detail) - and what a lovely person too. I thought both the dancers looked very promising. I'm really looking forward to seeing this!

• Like 8

Interesting that already on the ROH site the insight is only accessible via ROH stream which suggests that they are only going to livestream events going forwards and explains why the event wasn’t searchable on YouTube. 
I wonder if they will see a significant dent on viewing figures and what the impact will be on ticket purchases and cinema viewing. 

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Interesting that already on the ROH site the insight is only accessible via ROH stream which suggests that they are only going to livestream events going forwards and explains why the event wasn’t searchable on YouTube. 
I wonder if they will see a significant dent on viewing figures and what the impact will be on ticket purchases and cinema viewing. 

Did you look on You Tube under the "live" tab? That's where they put the last one.

Update...it's there

Edited by oncnp

3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Did you look on You Tube under the "live" tab? That's where they put the last one.

The link has been posted earlier in the thread but it doesn’t appear to be public. If you go to the ROH site the livestream link has an error message and the Rolex branded link directs to the paid streaming service.

An interesting strategy to monetise the insights but given the insights usually help promote cinema, such a limited free run is hardly going to be beneficial. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Blossom said:

I'm subscribed to their YouTube channel and it advertised it beforehand and it's still there, the same as it always has been.

I've just watched it on our TV via YouTube and a really interesting watch it was too. Would have liked to see more models of what the staging would be like and perhaps a couple of costumes but I suppose understandably they don't want to give too much away before the rehearsal and opening night. I thought Laura Morera was an absolutely outstanding coach. Very detailed but also really supportive. It made me nostalgic for what we have so nearly lost in such a wonderful, lyrical dancer/actress. My husband commented it really makes you appreciate what a wonderful choreographer Ashton was; and the speed of some of his choreography, such as Autumn. The rehearsals broke down very complex choreography and gave it meaning, whereas in a performance it's over before you have time to think about it, and the message it's supposed to be conveying. Really whetted my appetite for forthcoming performances. I want to go tomorrow!!!

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
Guest oncnp

Christopher Saunders has said on IG tonight's Insight will be streamed on the ROH YouTube

Edited by oncnp

18 minutes ago, alison said:

A Florimund and his Sisters?

Wondering if Joonhyuk Jun will be there to rehearse Bluebird.... Could be a nice combination.

Missed the mention above as didn't scroll back far enough but unable to delete this!!

Edited by Blossom