Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

Quite amazing to think Naghdi and Muntagirov had never danced Scenes together before. That is not easy choreography to nail because of the crazy counts and the speed of the music and they were utter perfection! Very much looking forward to this triple... YUM! 

Christopher Carr as always stealing the show, what an icon he is.

• Like 12

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp

Slight description change for the Insight on 7 June 2022, 7.45pm

Insights: UK/Australia Ballet Exchange - Watch dancers from Queensland Ballet and The Royal Ballet in a performance that celebrates cultural exchange and the richness of each nation in liaison with the British Council and the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

and the booking dates have disappeared for Next Generation Festival - 31 May–21 June 2022

Probably just the usual ROH website glitch.....

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

and the booking dates have disappeared for Next Generation Festival - 31 May–21 June 2022

Probably just the usual ROH website glitch.....

It's not a glitch.  The booking dates have been missing for several weeks.  When I wrote to the Box Office at the beginning of this month, they gave me the following reason:

"The details for Next Generation Festival have not yet been confirmed, we will update the website when we have more information about dates."
Edited by Bluebird

If tonight’s Insight is anything to go by, there is much to look forward to in this new ballet based on Like Water For Chocolate.  Laura Esquivel & Chris Wheeldon talked about the origins of the project and their mutual like of each other’s work. We were treated to rehearsal excerpts involving Kristen McNally, Frankie Hayward, Marci Sambé & Harris Bell. Very excited to see the full ballet in June.

• Like 8

Tonight’s Insight focused on the musical influences and collaboration that informs Joby Talbot’s musical composition and how he hopes he has captured the musical essence of Mexico. Live percussion extracts were premiered.

Then we were treated to an excerpt of the “ballet within the ballet” which is a flashback to the life of Mama Elena and explains why she became the woman she is. Beautifully and emotionally danced by Laura Morera, Joseph Sissons, Christina Arestis, Bennet Gartside, Kevin Emerton, Lukas BB. & Thomas Mock. I was moved.

And, then there was talk with set & costume designers . 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

Not a new ROH insight but one that seems to have disaapeared.....

I do not see the  Mental Health Insight that was to discuss loneliness listed anymore. Am I just missing it?

7 hours ago, oncnp said:

Not a new ROH insight but one that seems to have disaapeared.....

I do not see the  Mental Health Insight that was to discuss loneliness listed anymore. Am I just missing it?

The page comes up when I google “mental health Royal Opera House insights” but I haven’t tried scrolling through the longgg list of all the “What’s On” items!  It looks like they have either altered the date or they’re not sure when it’s going ahead. I don’t see any notices about it being cancelled though.

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/insights-mental-health-awareness-day-details

Edited by Emeralds

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

The page comes up when I google “mental health Royal Opera House insights” but I haven’t tried scrolling through the longgg list of all the “What’s On” items!  It looks like they have either altered the date or they’re not sure when it’s going ahead. I don’t see any notices about it being cancelled though.

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/insights-mental-health-awareness-day-details

Thanks! I did the scroll and couldn't find it. I suspect it's not going ahead. It sounded very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

AUTUMN INSIGHTS 2022

• The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal: Mayerling 15 September 7.30pm–8.45pm, Clore Studio 
  • Lauren Cuthbertson in Conversation 22 September 7.30pm–8.45pm, Linbury Theatre
  • The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal: New Crystal Pite 6 October 7.30pm–8.45pm, Clore Studio
  • The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal: A Diamond Celebration 8 November 7.45pm – 9pm, Clore Studio 
  • The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal: The Nutcracker 1 December 7.30pm–8.45pm, Clore Studio
  • The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal 16 December 11.30am–1pm, Main Stage 

Get a glimpse into the daily life of the dancers of The Royal Ballet as they take class on the main stage.

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp

Don't know where to put this..... from the Friend's newsletter

Tomorrow, Saturday 11 June, the DocHouse Cinema in Cavendish Square will be screening In Balanchine's Classroom.  (at 16:00)

This fascinating documentary takes us back to the glory years of Balanchine’s New York City Ballet through the remembrances of his former dancers and their quest to fulfill the vision of a genius. The screening includes a Q&A with Marcelino Sambé, Principal dancer at The Royal Ballet, and dance historian, scholar and critic Alastair Macaulay.

In Balanchine's Classroom | DocHouse

Additional dates on the above website

Edited by oncnp

36 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Don't know where to put this..... from the Friend's newsletter

Tomorrow, Saturday 11 June, the DocHouse Cinema in Cavendish Square will be screening In Balanchine's Classroom.  (at 16:00)

According to Alastair Macauley’s IG, Matthew Ball is participating as well.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

From the latest Friends Newsletter:

"We are looking forward to hosting the Cecchetti Society Trust Centenary Gala on 24 October in our Linbury Theatre. You can book for this celebration of Cecchetti dance from 12pm on 6 September*, ahead of public booking opening on 8 September, either online or by calling the Box Office."

(Wasn't quite sure where to put this as I don't know the nature of it.)

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

From the latest Friends Newsletter:

"We are looking forward to hosting the Cecchetti Society Trust Centenary Gala on 24 October in our Linbury Theatre. You can book for this celebration of Cecchetti dance from 12pm on 6 September*, ahead of public booking opening on 8 September, either online or by calling the Box Office."

(Wasn't quite sure where to put this as I don't know the nature of it.)

Thanks for drawing our attention to this, Lizbie. Here's a bit more detail, pasted in from the Cecchetti Society Trust website:

Cecchetti Society Centenary Gala

24th October 2022 - Save the Date!

THE LINBURY THEATRE, ROYAL OPERA HOUSE, COVENT GARDEN

The Cecchetti Society Trust Centenary Gala will take place at the Linbury Theatre, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden on Monday 24th October. The programme will celebrate the range and beauty of the Cecchetti work and feature performances from vocational students through to professional dancers. Funds raised from the Gala will go to support the work of The Cecchetti Society Trust in providing Scholarships and bursaries for young dancers and teachers training in the Cecchetti Method. Booking information and programme details to follow soon.

https://www.cecchettisocietytrust.org/centenary-gala-2022

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2022 at 19:50, Bluebird said:

Thanks for drawing our attention to this, Lizbie. Here's a bit more detail, pasted in from the Cecchetti Society Trust website:

Cecchetti Society Centenary Gala

24th October 2022 - Save the Date!

THE LINBURY THEATRE, ROYAL OPERA HOUSE, COVENT GARDEN

The Cecchetti Society Trust Centenary Gala will take place at the Linbury Theatre, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden on Monday 24th October. The programme will celebrate the range and beauty of the Cecchetti work and feature performances from vocational students through to professional dancers. Funds raised from the Gala will go to support the work of The Cecchetti Society Trust in providing Scholarships and bursaries for young dancers and teachers training in the Cecchetti Method. Booking information and programme details to follow soon.

https://www.cecchettisocietytrust.org/centenary-gala-2022

Bumping this up as although booking has opened there are still happily tickets at all prices available. Bluebird has done us a great service by helping us find out how to book (although in the Linbury the event has not been showing on the ROH calendar). 

Here is an attempt to publicise a direct link (if this doesn’t work, many apologies, just use the one Bluebird publicised and follow the instructions):-

https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?emailsource=59966&performanceId=53156

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Bumping this up as although booking has opened there are still happily tickets at all prices available. Bluebird has done us a great service by helping us find out how to book (although in the Linbury the event has not been showing on the ROH calendar). 

Here is an attempt to publicise a direct link (if this doesn’t work, many apologies, just use the one Bluebird publicised and follow the instructions):-

https://www.roh.org.uk/seatmap?emailsource=59966&performanceId=53156

any idea what we might expect to see if we book?  i'm wondering if is it suitable for non-academics or if it will be very technical and highbrow?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterS said:

any idea what we might expect to see if we book?  i'm wondering if is it suitable for non-academics or if it will be very technical and highbrow?

At a guess it feels like we have a better idea about this evening than we do about the free Friends event at the ROH. I have no special information but based my ticket purchase on:

- It's a "gala", which is appealing

- They say "The programme will celebrate the range and beauty of the Cecchetti work" (sounds good to me)

- and "feature performances" (reassuring)

- "from vocational students through to professional dancers" - good news!

I see no mention of academics, but perhaps someone connected to the Society could say a bit more?

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the Mayerling Insight next Thurs 15 Sept is going to be streamed?

Insights are usually marked as "Camera Filming" but I don't see it this time. With the reported new streaming service and the website redesign I'm not sure if they aren't streaming it or it's just not listed (Mayerling opening night which is being broadcast to the cinema isn't marked  either)

Thanks

Edited by oncnp

15 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Does anyone know if the Mayerling Insight next Thurs 15 Sept is going to be streamed?

Insights are usually marked as "Camera Filming" but I don't see it this time. With the reported new streaming service and the website redesign I'm not sure if they aren't streaming it or it's just not listed (Mayerling opening night which is being broadcast to the cinema isn't marked  either)

Thanks

Yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oncnp said:

Thanks

the only insight evening NOT being filmed/streamed this autumn is the Crystal Pite one. There is a view of 'more info' where the 'camera filming' does appear, you just have a click around a bit to get it

How useless are the ROH marketing / YouTube dept?  

No other opera house in the world would advertise an upcoming event with a photo of a completely different event!!!!  I’ve messaged them.  

For those who can’t see … the YouTube countdown for this rehearsal of Mayerling has a photo of William Bracewell and Fumi Kaneko rehearsing Swan Lake.  (Further irritating me as William is not cast in Mayerling.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

No other opera house in the world would advertise an upcoming event with a photo of a completely different event!!!!  I’ve messaged them.  

For those who can’t see … the YouTube countdown for this rehearsal of Mayerling has a photo of William Bracewell and Fumi Kaneko rehearsing Swan Lake.  (Further irritating me as William is not cast in Mayerling.)

The event hasn’t happened yet, nor is it rehearsed, so to have photos of it is impossible. It is generally not known in advance which dancers will appear at an Insight nor what they will do within the context of an evening. In these circumstances the use of a library or stock photo for advance publicity seems to make sense.
NB there is of course the added frisson that, though not cast as Rudolph, William is shadowing the part and will be put through his paces at the Insight….

• Like 2

Just now, PeterS said:

The event hasn’t happened yet, nor is it rehearsed, so to have photos of it is impossible. It is generally not known in advance which dancers will appear at an Insight nor what they will do within the context of an evening. In these circumstances the use of a library or stock photo for advance publicity seems to make sense.
NB there is of course the added frisson that, though not cast as Rudolph, William is shadowing the part and will be put through his paces at the Insight….

indeed … but one of Mayerling please. 

29 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I hope that he is indeed "shadowing" the role and there isn't another Onegin in the offing. 

3 hours ago, FionaE said:

I hope you messaged them in green ink!

The photograph of Bracewell and Kaneko is used to advertise all of the upcoming "Insights: The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal" events (at least that the case on the ROH website).  TBH I don't care what photograph they use, I'm just glad they tell us what ballet is scheduled to be rehearsed, information we didn't have in advance until recently. 

• Like 4