Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

Fumi Kaneko has posted a series of images from her stage call yesterday on her IG account which hold the promise of a great Manon from her.

We really do have luxury casting to look forward to in the title role.

• Like 9

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Fumi Kaneko has posted a series of images from her stage call yesterday on her IG account which hold the promise of a great Manon from her.

We really do have luxury casting to look forward to in the title role.

Certainly can't wait to see her, Muntagirov, Sissens and Dias on the 27th - good luck to all of them. Particularly after seeing Joseph's rehearsal, wow.

Also can't wait for his Swan Lake with Sasaki. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

I was delighted to hear that Laura is ‘staging’ Manon so has a role beyond that of principal coach for some of the dancers. But I’m unsure what the staging role entails and would be very interested to hear what it covers.

Perhaps being lined up to take the baton from Lady MacMillan? 

Am seeing Kaneko and Hayward but having to weigh up whether to see Naghdi and Ball in Manon or Swan Lake as can’t afford both! 
Loved this Insight….. it’s quite a pressure for the dancers to put in more than one change so immediately and in front of an audience rather than studio situation! 

17 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Am seeing Kaneko and Hayward but having to weigh up whether to see Naghdi and Ball in Manon or Swan Lake as can’t afford both! 
Loved this Insight….. it’s quite a pressure for the dancers to put in more than one change so immediately and in front of an audience rather than studio situation! 

You won't see Naghdi and Ball in Manon....so Swan Lake it must be!!  In Manon, Naghdi is with Will B, and Matthew is with Lauren C.

Yes the focus was seeing Naghdi in one of these roles lol! 
Having just watched the Insight last night it seems rather remiss of me to mistake Bracewell for Ball lol!! 
So it’s Naghdi in Manon or Swan Lake …What do you think?! 

Many thanks @PeterS. I’m more interested in finding out about the staging role rather than the overall MacMillan custodial role. For Nutcracker the cast sheet shows Christopher Carr, Gary Avis and Samantha Raine were all responsible for staging. In addition principal coaching lists: Alexander Agadzhanov, Darcey Bussell, Olga Evreinoff, Isabel McMeekan, Christopher Saunders and Edward Watson. We often see dancers with their coach in Insights, World Ballet Day, the cinema interval features etc. But I don’t know what staging covers and what the relationship is between those staging and those coaching. Perhaps staging becomes more important where choreographers/producers are not available for revivals etc but I’d be keen to know more rather than speculate.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes the focus was seeing Naghdi in one of these roles lol! 
Having just watched the Insight last night it seems rather remiss of me to mistake Bracewell for Ball lol!! 
So it’s Naghdi in Manon or Swan Lake …What do you think?! 

Naghdi is doing the cinecast of Swan Lake so you could see both by seeing her in that at the cinema & Manon live. 

• Like 6

Looks like it’s April 24th for live  ( should be my first day back up in London  ballet classes so if that goes to schedule can’t make that … the encore is on the Sunday 28th so should be able to make that in Brighton at our lovely Arts Cinema! 

Of course still don’t know if can make the March 7th Swan Lake with Corrales/ Magri but if can that will be the other performance! 

Having finally caught up with Friday's Insight stream last night, I thought I'd go back & watch the one from the previous run tonight, but I can't find it on Youtube even though there are Insights on there going back several years earlier. I'm sure I remember watching one in 2019 with Christopher Saunders coaching. Am I going mad?

• Like 1

Was there a Manon in 2019?  I only ask because I have a 2018 Manon ticket sitting on my bedside cabinet at the moment.  (£4 - so must have been a rear amphi standing, I suppose.  Those were the days ... :( )

3 minutes ago, alison said:

Was there a Manon in 2019?  I only ask because I have a 2018 Manon ticket sitting on my bedside cabinet at the moment.  (£4 - so must have been a rear amphi standing, I suppose.  Those were the days ... :( )

I went once in May 2018 and twice in October 2019. In 2019 my front side amphi ticket was £18 instead of the £49 they wanted this time around...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, alison said:

There definitely was a run of Manon in October 2019 as I saw 5 performances. The 2018 run was a few months before I first saw the RB live so I didn't attend that one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roberta said:

The trailer has Federico Bonnelli & ?? 
how I wish that recording was available to Stream…

And Luke Jenning’s review in The Guardian was of three different  Manons resulting in 5 Stars.

Dance

Manon review – touching greatness, three times over

Royal Opera House, London 
As vixen, coquette and victim, the Royal Ballet’s Francesca Hayward, Natalia Osipova and Marianela Nuñez all touch greatness in the coveted role of Kenneth MacMillan’s tragic heroine

@LukeJennings1
Sun 15 Apr 2018 07.59 BST
Edited by PeterS

9 minutes ago, PeterS said:

Contact the ROH and ask!

Here is Bonelli with Nunez so it was certainly filmed with him at some point. Feb 2018 

Edited by Roberta
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Having finally caught up with Friday's Insight stream last night, I thought I'd go back & watch the one from the previous run tonight, but I can't find it on Youtube even though there are Insights on there going back several years earlier. I'm sure I remember watching one in 2019 with Christopher Saunders coaching. Am I going mad?

I think it was streamed on Facebook rather than YouTube.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJW said:

I think it was streamed on Facebook rather than YouTube.

Thank you. I can't say I recall that at all but I do have a Facebook account, though I haven't used it for years, so I guess I could have watched it on there. What a pity that it's therefore presumably lost in the mists of internet time.

ETA I've found it! I did get the date wrong, as it's dated 2018 so it must have been for that run rather than the 2019 run & then I must have watched it about a year and a half later. In case anyone else is interested https://www.facebook.com/royaloperahouse/videos/10156163761882579

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Thanks 2

On 16/01/2024 at 18:48, PeterS said:

The trailer has Federico Bonnelli & ?? 

And Luke Jenning’s review in The Guardian was of three different  Manons resulting in 5 Stars.

Dance

Manon review – touching greatness, three times over

Royal Opera House, London 
As vixen, coquette and victim, the Royal Ballet’s Francesca Hayward, Natalia Osipova and Marianela Nuñez all touch greatness in the coveted role of Kenneth MacMillan’s tragic heroine

@LukeJennings1
Sun 15 Apr 2018 07.59 BST

The trailer is Bonelli with Marianela Nunez. Great recording- wish they'd release it on DVD!

On 16/01/2024 at 20:30, Dawnstar said:

Thank you. I can't say I recall that at all but I do have a Facebook account, though I haven't used it for years, so I guess I could have watched it on there. What a pity that it's therefore presumably lost in the mists of internet time.

ETA I've found it! I did get the date wrong, as it's dated 2018 so it must have been for that run rather than the 2019 run & then I must have watched it about a year and a half later. In case anyone else is interested https://www.facebook.com/royaloperahouse/videos/10156163761882579

thank you for the link, I remembered the first part coaching the 3 tall gentleman (Reece, Will, Nicol) in the fiendish triangle dance.  But I don’t remember  the second coaching section of Yuhui and Bea as mistress. 

wonderful to see again. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FionaM said:

thank you for the link, I remembered the first part coaching the 3 tall gentleman (Reece, Will, Nicol) in the fiendish triangle dance.  But I don’t remember  the second coaching section of Yuhui and Bea as mistress. 

wonderful to see again. 

I was the other way around, I didn't remember the Gentlemen part but had remembered that there was a section involving G.M. & the courtesans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

The cast sheet has Melissa Hamilton & Marcelino Sambe as the dancers so I'm guessing that means its likely to be Different Drummer being rehearsed? https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/insights-the-royal-ballet-in-rehearsal/cast-list/58600

I'm guessing Different Drummer and perhaps Requiem?  Hamilton isn't cast in DD as far as I know.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

The cast sheet has Melissa Hamilton & Marcelino Sambe as the dancers so I'm guessing that means its likely to be Different Drummer being rehearsed? https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/43/insights-the-royal-ballet-in-rehearsal/cast-list/58600

Different Drummer presumably with Sambe as Wayne Eagling & Edward Watson named as coaches (Eagling created role, Watson danced it?) and Requiem for Melissa Hamilton? 

Despite misgivings from some, the casting is interesting for the triple and I think the company is pulling out the stops for this.

I think both  Danses Concertantes and Requiem will be well received, no doubt Different Drummer will have mixed reception.  

1 hour ago, alison said:

I'm guessing Different Drummer and perhaps Requiem?  Hamilton isn't cast in DD as far as I know.

Ah, I was assuming they'd be dancing together, with her in some smaller role that casting hasn't been announced for, but I guess 2 solos from different pieces would make more sense.