Royal Ballet: La Fille mal gardée, Spring 2015

Enjoyed the cinema broadcast enormously! You can count me in as a “Fan of Fille” now…

;)

Everybody on stage seemed to be having a ball (only Peregrine looked a little grumpy, but I am not familiar with ponies so what do I know). They have danced it so often but it didn’t look the least bit like a routine. The ensemble dances must be such fun to do! I truly love you, artists of the Royal Ballet.

Even though I can't quite warm to her, I admire Osipova’s energy and fearlessness (that fouetté sauté thingy she did in the harvest scene?!!) and how she does all this at break-neck-speed in those old, battered pointe shoes. She was lovely in every respect.

And I loved Paul Kay so, so much as Alain… that face and smile and expressiveness through his whole body was so endearing and was such a truth in itself. Glad he was happy with his umbrella at the end!

And again the nightingales sang when I cycled home (with a tailwind)!

• Like 4

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a teeny tiny moan about Fille (which is a ballet I love to bits). It drives me crazy when Lise picks up the sickles BY THE BLADES. Wouldn't those things be super sharp if you were about to go off harvesting with them???

Also shouldn't people give more of an impression that wheat sheaves are actually heavy. I know the prop ones are probably made of styrofoam, but the things they're representing aren't.

• Like 2

I was wondering about whether we would expect another DVD of Fille too - were Osipova's other performances also filmed or was it just this one?

They filmed a "safety" version last week so, yes, that is perhaps a clue that maybe they are planning a dvd.

• Like 2

I just have one or 2 mild complaints; the lighting seemed really quite dark most of the time, not just in the opening scene and for the thunderstorm. It spoiled it slightly. I don't rememberit being so dark when it was filmed last time with Steven and Roberta. I don't see why lighting people are so obsessed about gloomy lighting, especially when most of the time it's supposed to be a sunny spring day!

I also really enjoyed last evening's performance at the cinema.  After seeing it from the amphitheatre, I was looking forward to this live stream.  I had the same misgivings about the lighting, it made it difficult to see all the detail of many scenes, though the closeups were fine.  Such a pity as it was a wonderful performance.

here's a teeny tiny moan about Fille (which is a ballet I love to bits). It drives me crazy when Lise picks up the sickles BY THE BLADES. Wouldn't those things be super sharp if you were about to go off harvesting with them???

I took my mum to see it on Saturday (her first time) and that's exactly what she said!  That and "If it's harvest time, what's the maypole doing there?"

On seeing it again last night, alone, it occurred to me to add "How come the interior of Widow Simone's house bears absolutely no relation to its features from the outside?"

• Like 5

Agree last night slightly spoilt by the lighting again, I've never seen such a dark murky Fille, can't be the fault of the ROH as they would have had the same lighting as usual (in the past there was extra lighting for DVD recordings with cheaper prices!) so must be the camera's, the live relay process, or the cinema equipment to blame. Perhaps because of this I didn't enjoy this performance as much as the Morera or Marquez casts I saw at the theatre, but did really like the offstage interviews, especially Lesley Collier (have been watching her brilliant Lise on DVD), and the chance to see Peregrine twice!

• Like 2

I thought the same but it was only a fleeting moment. It is the most joyous ballet. It was the first ballet we took our daughters to and I was so pleased that it gave me the same pleasure it did then. We saw Sarah Wildor and Adam Cooper at the Royal Festival Hall.

• Like 1

They filmed a "safety" version last week so, yes, that is perhaps a clue that maybe they are planning a dvd.

I doubt it: they always take a backup copy in case of technical problems during the broadcast.  When they *have* planned a DVD, they have sometimes filmed 3 performances - especially, I think, for opera.  That's not to say that there won't be a DVD, just that it's no guarantee that there will be.

On seeing it again last night, alone, it occurred to me to add "How come the interior of Widow Simone's house bears absolutely no relation to its features from the outside?"

Something which has indeed bugged me from time to time :)

Also shouldn't people give more of an impression that wheat sheaves are actually heavy. I know the prop ones are probably made of styrofoam, but the things they're representing aren't.

They do spend time mopping their brow a lot! ;-)

With you on the scythes though - I wince every time they hand them around - pointy end first

I've always tried to work out the floor plan, upper and lower, to absolutely no avail. Perhaps they moved into the barn conversion at the interval....

• Like 10

Ha ha! It's just occurred to me that my mum would undoubtedly also have passed comment on the mismatch between the exterior and interior layouts, were we not in seats (Stalls Circle A16-17) from which the exterior of the house was pretty much the one thing we couldn't see!

I've always tried to work out the floor plan, upper and lower, to absolutely no avail. Perhaps they moved into the barn conversion at the interval....

Nooo! It's a big house. First act is the back side - the yard, where the chickens live - and second act is the front entrance where important visitors are received.

• Like 5

Agree last night slightly spoilt by the lighting again, I've never seen such a dark murky Fille, can't be the fault of the ROH as they would have had the same lighting as usual (in the past there was extra lighting for DVD recordings with cheaper prices!) so must be the camera's, the live relay process, or the cinema equipment to blame. 

Interesting to read a number of posters commenting on the darkness of the picture - I found the same issue at my local cinema. The ROH's recent relay of Swan Lake (Osipova/Golding) had darkness issues too, which I certainly don't remember from the 2012(?) Yanowsky/Kish Swan Lake screening.

I've no idea where the problem lies. I just hope it can be resolved as one of the things I really enjoy about seeing ballet at the cinema is being able to see the detail of the scenery & appreciate the emotion of individual performances in close-up, which isn't always possible from seats at the ROH!

My husband and I were at the roh yesterday for the performance - this is a real "champagne" ballet, it simply fizzes! My husband was delighted that this was a happy ballet. We loved it all. The chickens, the ribbons, the clog dance, the pony trying to demolish the stage. We both agreed that osipova and McRae were well matched, the romance was so tender, as was the love of the parents for their children.

Now I want to see it all over again (perhaps Sunday).

• Like 1

Nooo! It's a big house. First act is the back side - the yard, where the chickens live - and second act is the front entrance where important visitors are received.

Of course!  She is a wealthy farmer, of course.

And tonight Peregrine the Pony lived up to his "naughty" appellation by walking the cart into the drop cloth and dragging it along - then keeping going in rather too much of a hurry....and going....thought he wasn't going to stop at all!

Peregrine's fabulous! This is the second time I've seen him attempting to demolish the scenery - in a previous performance, a cart wheel got caught in the gateway when exiting the farmyard. In Peregrine's defence, I suspect the person leading him didn't quite allow enough turning room for the cart... 

How lovely of the ROH to broadcast Peregrine being presented with an edible bouquet/basket of carrots & apples, courtesy of a group of his fans #PeregrinesBouquet. 

Possibly because it was the first Fille I saw, I think the performance by Morera & Muntagirov just edges it as the most enjoyable for me. It also had the amazing Will Tuckett as Widow Simone. I especially enjoyed his facial expressions, clog dance & antics at curtain call. I also recall him pausing to look at the flower pot before throwing just the flowers at Colas & understanding the thought process!

Actually, I did wonder if Philip Mosley had been reading the comments earlier in this thread regarding some Widow Simone's forgetting dramatic pauses & needing to aim more accurately, as in the cinema relay it looked as though he was much closer to hitting Colas! 

Picture darkness issues aside, we really enjoyed the cinema relay, especially Paul Kay's dancing as Alain. Our local cinema was almost full & people applauded Osipova & McRae's dancing - we all used to sit in silence as it seemed rather pointless to clap when the performers couldn't hear, but we're getting more demonstrative. 
  • Like 7

Philip Mosley did look at the flowerpot and think twice before throwing it- just as advised in this thread....I thought he did a good job in building the character but the clog dance did not use the sound of the clogs enough  as part of the music.

I have to agree, Indigo-even though Osipova /McRae last night was fabulous,   the first night with Muntagirov /Morera was in my view the best of the run, just by a nose-  and indeed Will Tuckett ( as well as Gary Avis) made a big contribution to that. Muntagirov was so charming and somehow that performance just all came together.

Regarding Peregrine though, I am getting a bit worried that  his career is stalled. Where is he in the  2015/16 cast lists? Surely there are some opportunities in the new season. If they're not careful he might be looking elsewhere.

• Like 8

This is the second time I've seen him attempting to demolish the scenery - in a previous performance, a cart wheel got caught in the gateway when exiting the farmyard. In Peregrine's defence, I suspect the person leading him didn't quite allow enough turning room for the cart... 

Well, I suspect when they joined the Royal Ballet, none of the dancers expected "horse handling" to be a desirable extra on their CV! :))

• Like 4

How can you guys (some of you, anyway) blame poor old Peregrine for the curtain malfunction? He is some kind of scapepony?!

BTW - I may well be wrong about who was riding the carriage - maybe it was Lise - I was so entrance by the wheels, I didn't notice.

Well, I suspect when they joined the Royal Ballet, none of the dancers expected "horse handling" to be a desirable extra on their CV! :))

Quite! It is a rather unusual requirement, like one of the dancers steering/driving the electric sleigh in The Nutcracker. Perhaps these activities are held out as a fringe benefit at job offer stage  :)

• Like 1

If I was Peregrine, I would be stamping my hooves and demanding an appearance in The Two Pigeons.  After all, if they have a couple of birds on stage, they can have a pony as well, can't they?

• Like 7

Splendid idea, Janet.  They could probably use the same carriage, couldn't they?

And I am sure the new production of Swan Lake is an excellent opportunity to add a little live animal action, especially as Peregrine's colouring matches that of the swans!

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the cinema relay - I agree it was a little dark towards the sides sometimes.  However the pure joy and sunshine of the ballet shone through.  Our cinema was practically full and very quiet - which is great.  Loved Peregrine getting his bouquet such a fab idea from his fans.  Lovely photos of him and the bouquet are on twitter.  Does he still have glitter spray in his mane these days - when I was in the front row once with Alina Cojacaru and Johann Kobborg dancing I could see glitter in his mane and tail!  He is a real character.  Needless to say Osipova and McRae were great.  I've not seen any other casts this season but I was quite happy with them!  I will be seeing Fille in Paris in July so hope POB can live up to expectations!

• Like 2

I may be wrong but I took Cavycaper's remarks re:Cojocaru's feet literally, rather than as criticism of her artistry. Alina Cojocaru is one of my all time favourite dancers but her feet are not her best physical feature. I don't know if it is because of her shoes or the shape of her feet but the result particularly en pointe distorts the line. Hence she could not be described as having pretty feet. I haven't seen her dance for sometime so do not know if this is still the case.

Anyway, just my opinion.

I may be wrong but I took Cavycaper's remarks re:Cojocaru's feet literally, rather than as criticism of her artistry. Alina Cojocaru is one of my all time favourite dancers but her feet are not her best physical feature. I don't know if it is because of her shoes or the shape of her feet but the result particularly en pointe distorts the line. Hence she could not be described as having pretty feet. I haven't seen her dance for sometime so do not know if this is still the case.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Than you, Jacqueline, that is exactly what I meant. I remember being near the front watching Cojacaru dancing Lise and being very shocked by the shape of her poor feet, with those awful bunions. They were not pretty. However I have always loved Alina despite this. I think she wore badly fitting pointe shoes as a child and this caused the deformities.

I believe that every dancer should the shape of shoe and width of platform that enables them to dance their best. My point was just that with her teensy platforms, Osipova's pretty feet enhanced her fantastic footwork.

The cast sheet says that the ballet was performed by dancers and students, I wondered whether the lads in charge of Peregrine and the "poop basket" were students?I can't say that I recognised them. It might explain their apparent failure to recognise that there was a problem with the trap wheel. I don't think that I have ever seen Moseley move as quickly as he did getting out of the trap and sorting out the front cloth.

Edited by FLOSS