Royal Ballet: La Fille mal gardée, Spring 2015

I am enjoying the ballet all over again reading everybody's comments. It is so good to share our enthusiasm and to learn from each other. Cojacuras poor feet have always worried me the shape often spoils the line of a pose but more worrying is the thought of the future and the pain she might suffer. However her glorious dancing has never suffered. I loved the live relay as I can only afford amphi if I want to see all the ballets I want to and to get a close up view is a real joy. I saw Marquez and Campbell live and enjoyed their performances but thought Osipova was delightful and really felt a connection between her and McCrea. Really wanted to see zuchetti as Colas, does any body know how badly he is injured?

Thank you Sir Fred , this really is Ballet for All!

• Like 3

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cast sheet says that the ballet was performed by dancers and students, I wondered whether the lads in charge of Peregrine and the "poop basket" were students?I can't say that I recognised them.

They're usually the company's most recent newcomers.  (Am I imagining it, or did a certain Mr. McRae once have to do it?  I don't think I can be, because the picture in my mind is quite vivid.)  From what I've heard, I think it's tended to be David Yudes and Calvin Richardson, but I'm sure Bluebird or someone will be able to fill us in.

• Like 1

Did David Bintley only dance the role at Covent Garden? I can't recall whether I saw him dance it in Birmingham , but I imagine he would have been a fine Widow.

Not sure if Bintley has danced Simone in Birmingham but I do recall a wonderful and vivid performance and wish he would do again. Regardless of all other casting I'd book for it - same with Monica Mason as Carabosse.

I seem to recall that at BRB Saturday matinees Peregrine's West Midlands cousin would come out to the front of the Hippodrome after the show where you could 'pat the pony'. Just wonderful.

• Like 2

They're usually the company's most recent newcomers.  (Am I imagining it, or did a certain Mr. McRae once have to do it?  I don't think I can be, because the picture in my mind is quite vivid.)  From what I've heard, I think it's tended to be David Yudes and Calvin Richardson, but I'm sure Bluebird or someone will be able to fill us in.

A "certain Mr McRae" did do it and, anyone who has the 2005 DVD, will still be able to see him leading the pony.  

As for the cinema performance, we had a recent recruit (Calvin Richardson, who graduated from the RBS last summer) and a Second Year student, currently still at the RBS.  I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post the student's name here.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Really wanted to see zuchetti as Colas, does any body know how badly he is injured?

he is back in class, so will be on stage soon (whenever next cast, I can't recall what off the top of my head)

• Like 1

I'll add my voice to those saying that the opening night with Morera/Muntagirov was the most enjoyable of all (though I did miss Roberta Marquez's cast).  Must put in a word for Jonathan Howells though, as Widow Simone in the Choe/Campbell cast - when I saw him on Saturday evening, his second performance of the role ever, he was my second-favourite only to Tuckett with a perfectly-timed Clog Dance with no missing beats.

• Like 1

A "certain Mr McRae" did do it and, anyone who has the 2005 DVD, will still be able to see him leading the pony.  

As for the cinema performance, we had a recent recruit (Calvin Richardson, who graduated from the RBS last summer) and a Second Year student, currently still at the RBS.  I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post the student's name here.

Thanks, Bluebird.  No wonder the image is so vivid if I've seen it repeatedly.

And thanks for the clarification about the student: I meant to ask you about him the other night.  Quite agree that it would be inappropriate to name him as yet.

Could someone kindly put the photo of #naughtyperegrine receiving his bouquet up here please?  I have looked on the Vauxhall Farm website and can't see anything about him at all, and I missed it on Twitter!  Many thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Thanks so much, John!  I didn't know there was an official #NaughtyPeregrine fan club;  I would have been happy to contribute to his fabulous basket!  I see that in the second photo he had already made short shrift of the carrots and apples!! 

I did notice that in the final two performances I saw he was starting to get a bit frisky when walking past the backdrop and seemed to want to get offstage as quickly as possible!!  Maybe he starts feeling fed up towards the end of the run.  I hope he has a good rest between now and the next outing of Fille, but somehow I think his new-found celebrity status will prevent that from happening!!  :)

• Like 2

I'll add my voice to those saying that the opening night with Morera/Muntagirov was the most enjoyable of all 

Me too absolutely loved the partnership: nothing showy, just genuine, unaffected charm & warmth with effortless dancing and perfectly pitched Simone from Tuckett and Alain from Kay :) 

• Like 6

Nothing to do with management...

Apologies for making a faulty assumption but not all of us have "the inside track", bbb. It is, however, quite well known that 'management' uses Bloomsbury Flowers even for flower throw supplies.

Someone I follow on Twitter and her friend arranged the "bouquet"for Peregrine. You don't have to love animals and be mad to be English but ut certainly helps! ;)

Well done to them - mad maybe, but nice certainly.

Me too absolutely loved the partnership: nothing showy, just genuine, unaffected charm & warmth with effortless dancing and perfectly pitched Simone from Tuckett and Alain from Kay :)

Me three.....I saw many Filles and although I really enjoyed them all, the Morera/Muntagirov first night couldn't be topped;  not only because of them, but also because of the perfect supporting cast.  I only wish we were going to be seeing them in R&J;  I think they would be great together in a MacMillan ballet.

• Like 2

It is, however, quite well known that 'management' uses Bloomsbury Flowers even for flower throw supplies.

I didn't know "management" ever supplied the flowers for flower throws.

Forgive the stupid question (I know nothing about horses and ponies): how do they get Peregrine to do the hoof movements? Does he respond to a particular passage in the music or does one of the dancers give him some kind of cue, perhaps by patting him in a particular way?

I didn't know "management" ever supplied the flowers for flower throws.

They do. I was told first hand that, if noone else is going to organise something and they feel that they should mark a special occasion, they supply all the flowers. I also understand that they will sometimes supplement what fans are providing.

Personally, I think that it is far nicer when there is upsurge of feeling among fans that "something should be done" and a collection for a floral tribute almost takes off by itself. Such was the case during the last year for both Daria Klimentova and Elena Glurdjidze of ENB.

Anyway, going back to Fille, it's great that Peregrine's fans responded so positively.

• Like 3

Forgive the stupid question (I know nothing about horses and ponies): how do they get Peregrine to do the hoof movements? Does he respond to a particular passage in the music or does one of the dancers give him some kind of cue, perhaps by patting him in a particular way?

Not a stupid question at all.  I've never noticed anybody giving him a cue, and indeed I don't remember seeing him do it prior to this run.  I'm seriously wondering whether he's done it off his own bat.  After all, he's obviously a real trouper :)

BTW, is anyone else getting Fille withdrawal symptoms already?

• Like 2

I am suffering from them, alison :(

I came here to say, on Twitter a commentator noticed that the young gentleman who was 'Flute Peasant' had just finished some flute tootling, and started some 'beats' when the heel of his shoe came flying off! I didn't notice at all! Did anyone else catch this?

In addition, I must add that I thought Osipova's acting and footwork were lovely, but to even my untrained eye, she seemed a bit tense or stiff in the arms. (Ballet fans eh, we're never satisfied :P!) Aside from that, I am so glad I went. It was another delightful show.

Edited by nickwellings

Yes, I am definitely a victim of Fille withdrawal, as I am at the end of every run of this joyous ballet! My final one was last Saturday, but the music has been my ear worm all week. :)

• Like 3

Just a reminder, then, that quite a few cinemas are doing "encore" performances this Sunday, generally at 2 pm (why it has to be 2 pm I'm not sure - do they get some sort of centralised retransmission from the ROH?)

I am pleasantly surprised. :-)  From what I'm reading, most people here enjoyed the Morera-Muntagirov cast the most and I mourn that it will go unrecorded. But even though she wasn't faultless, I was very charmed by Osipova and I would be happy to buy the DVD.

I'm not one of those people who buys endless recordings of the same piece of music just so they have everyone's different interpretations, and I guess the same applies to DVDs :)  Nevertheless, I'll bear it in mind when I go to see it on Sunday, and make up my mind based on that, I guess.

From what I'm reading, most people here enjoyed the Morera-Muntagirov cast the most and I mourn that it will go unrecorded. 

So do I, not least because it would have been nice for Morera to have that recognition.

• Like 3