Royal Ballet: La Fille mal gardée, Spring 2015

Just a reminder, then, that quite a few cinemas are doing "encore" performances this Sunday, generally at 2 pm (why it has to be 2 pm I'm not sure - do they get some sort of centralised retransmission from the ROH?)

My Picturehouse encore is on Monday so evidently not totally centralised.....

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that's good to know.  It would be even better if the ROH's webpage allowed you to select the encore screenings and live screenings separately from each other: it doesn't at the moment.  I would really have preferred not to have to watch this on Sunday.  Too late now, though.

Personally, I think it would be nice to see a DVD/live stream of a performance with some different artists - much as they are all good, there does seem to be a bit of a bias towards Osipova, Acosta, Nunez etc. I feel that the RB should be exposing some of their other dancers too. I see that the R&J being streamed is the one with Lamb and Pennefather, which is perhaps a good sign. I hope so - I would have loved the Morera/Muntagirov cast to have been the chosen performance (much as I enjoyed the one shown), and I'm glad that they are showing some of the mixed bills, which will hopefully give others a chance to be seen.

• Like 5

Rightly or wrongly, Natalia is big box office and sells tickets and DVD's. I would love there to be more Alina performances on record ( Mayerling springs to mind ) but economics rule. Myself, I don't mind seeing the same ballet with different leads as there are differences to be found and I enjoy watching them all.

• Like 5

There is also a wonderful 1997 recording still available.

Crown Prince Rudolf: Irek Mukhamedov

Baroness Mary Vetsera: Viviana Durante

Mitzi Caspar: Darcey Bussell

Countess Marie Larisch: Lesley Collier

IMHO this would be the one to get

• Like 4

Was the Marquez/McRae Fille cast ever released on DVD?  I thought it was, but that is probably wishful thinking more than accuracy!!  I think it is a real pity that Marquez, the definitive Lise of these times for me, has not had her performance committed to DVD for pubic posterity.  

Rightly or wrongly, Natalia is big box office and sells tickets and DVD's. I would love there to be more Alina performances on record ( Mayerling springs to mind ) but economics rule. Myself, I don't mind seeing the same ballet with different leads as there are differences to be found and I enjoy watching them all.

Oh Alina's Mary Vetsera was properly nuts, I have to agree! ☺

Agree about Marquez. I do think Nunez's Fille is excellent though - I take any recordings after that to be a bonus!

Anyway, I thought with blue ray there would be scope for multiple casts on one disc, even multiple camera angles! How great would it be to pre-select your own viewing angles for each viewing. ☺ I know it's prohibitively expensive but since so much is streaming nowadays, I can still dream ☺

And while I normally think that most live broadcasts have translated to screen quite well, inc Swan Lake, I was less satisfied with Fille. There were so many moments that i thought just worked better live in performance than on screen. I think it's because Fille is almost an ensemble work, where everyone is making a valuable contribution to the story and humour. There were so many times during thelive screening when I wished the camera had taken a wider shot.

• Like 2

I must admit when I saw the casting I thought management might have a dvd in mind, especially as the Nunez/Acosta dvd is 10 years old. Not that old I know but perhaps old enough to justify a new recording. However, I was surprised there didn't seem to be many people asking for a dvd either on the ROH site or the ballet forum so I thought that lack of requests may make them decide not to bother. Ironically I remember several people asking for a dvd of the previous McRae/Marquez recording and the ROH were quite adamant in refusing that. However, I'm glad they're going ahead with it now. it will be a great addition to anyone's dvd collection. (Though like other posters here I'm rather sorry it wasn't Muntagirov.) I thought all his performances were brilliant, especially his matinee with Marquez. As I think I've said before perhaps they will film it with him on the next run and, you never know, it may end up on tv.

Was the Marquez/McRae Fille cast ever released on DVD?  I thought it was, but that is probably wishful thinking more than accuracy!!  

No, it wasn't.  They weren't as DVD-mad back then as they seem to be now.

And while I normally think that most live broadcasts have translated to screen quite well, inc Swan Lake, I was less satisfied with Fille. There were so many moments that i thought just worked better live in performance than on screen. I think it's because Fille is almost an ensemble work, where everyone is making a valuable contribution to the story and humour. There were so many times during thelive screening when I wished the camera had taken a wider shot.

I must admit I thought the same. Having seen Fille a couple of times now, and having got to know all the things going on in it, I found myself being a bit irritated by the camera focussing in on someone's face, and knowing that by doing that they were missing something elsewhere. At one point, I seem to remember them missing a large chunk of one of Alain's solos by doing that!

Still, anyone who had never seen it wouldn't know what they were missing, so I expect they were perfectly happy!

Perhaps we should be lobbying the BBC to broadcast more Ashton classics - Would I be right in thinking the Collier/Coleman performance is probably the last time La Fille was shown? It would be interesting to have some stats on which Ashton ballets have been broadcast in the last thirty years - it would be a very short list.

• Like 1

Perhaps we should be lobbying the BBC to broadcast more Ashton classics - Would I be right in thinking the Collier/Coleman performance is probably the last time La Fille was shown? It would be interesting to have some stats on which Ashton ballets have been broadcast in the last thirty years - it would be a very short list.

Surely the Nunez Fille was broadcast has been broadcast on the BBC at some point? Sylvia too? I don't remember if that Ashton mixed bill that made it to dvd was broadcast either though. I was quite impressed that a mixed made it to dvd at all.

I think that something needs to be done about the limited amount of Ashton choreography that is shown each year at Covent Garden before any requests are made for more of his works to be filmed and made available on DVD.There are dancers in the company who are able to perform in the requisite style but there are a large number who can not.It would be wonderful to think that dancers would be cast according to their suitability for roles rather than their seniority.The fact that Golding who made a poor impression as Oberon last season has been cast in that role for performances in New York suggests that seniority continues to be the major factor in casting decisions.There are other recent examples of poor casting of Ashton's works for example Golding and Hamilton in Symphonic Variations. Golding was removed, presumably at the request of the owner,but Hamilton danced and she struggled with the speed and the choreography which clearly did not come to her easily.

One of the problems has already been touched upon during this discussion;it is the choice of casts to be filmed. Of course if the company danced these works more frequently then there would be a larger pool to choose from but regardless of the size of the pool it is almost inevitable that the cast chosen for filmed performances will be the one that will appeal most to the wider public rather than the best cast that the company can muster.Making and selling DVDs is a commercial enterprise not an educational activity.

I know that Kevin O'Hare told the Ballet Association that he would welcome suggestions of works that should be programmed. I do not know if anyone has taken up that suggestion.Perhaps it is the time to do so as far as the Ashton repertory is concerned.

• Like 5

If seniority and being 'well known' is the criteria for cinema broadcasts why are Sarah Lamb and Rupert Pennefather being chosen to dance Romeo when they could have chosen Muntagirov/Osipova, the partnership many of us have been dying to see? I can see the danger of over exposure for Natalia but this has the makings of such a wonderful partnership it would be fabulous to have a recording of their first ballet together. it is interesting that Matthew Golding whom I thought was brought in as a partner for Natalia seems to have been somewhat sidelined. he seems to be dancing a Romeo with Hayward (a rather odd sounding partnership), 2 Tchaikovsky pas de deux with Cuthbertson and nothing until Nutcracker. Of course he may have guesting commitments elsewhere, but still.....

Anyway, I've just got back from seeing the Encore la Fille at my local Vue cinema near Preston as the Preston Odeon wasn't showing the repeat though it was gratifyingly three quarters full on Tuesday. it really is an amazingly fabulous ballet; my favourite all time. As Christopher Carr says EVERYTHING about it is a delight; music, sets and choreography and when you have two leads of the calibre of Steven and Natalia that is just the icing on the cake. They are amazing and you can get a good close up of their expressions and little bits of 'business. I liked it when Natalia used the broom on her 'mother' in the first act and flicked the wet bonnet at her in the second. She was also really good at coming down the stairs on her bottom! Her footwork is incredible. I've only ever seen Roberta who can compare with her quicksilver movements and Steven's leaps and turns and rueful expression when he is outmanoeuvred by her or her mother are an equal joy. However, it is a real ensemble piece and EVERYONE was amazing; Paul Kay, Philip Moseley, the fabulous Gary Avis, the corps and especially Peregrine even if he did try to bring down the backcloth!I've already got withdrawal symptoms and trying not to think it will be 2 years at least before I can see it live again. Thank goodness for dvds but bring it back soon, please Mr O'Hare!

• Like 4

Along with everyone else, I thoroughly enjoyed the cinema relay (seen this afternoon). Both McRae and Osipova were excellent in every respect and it was great that the cameras captured so much of their facial expression.

However, I agree about the inadequacy of the lighting. I also found that the reliance on close-ups had the effect of making the stage seem very shallow. Nevertheless, the joy of the piece really shone through.

Having previously been put off by the mere thought of Darcey Bussell doing the introductions, I have to say that I found her acceptable

Renewed acquaintance with Fille this afternoon - this time at Saffron Screen, in Saffron Walden.  A full house of something over 200 at a guess, and booked out about a week ago.  Most enjoyable and, dare I say, as someone who has been less enthusiastic about Miss Osipova than many here, she certainly softened my views very considerably with her performance as Lise.

Saffron Screen is one of two developments in recent years added to the County High School in Saffron Walden.  The other is Saffron Hall, a 700-seat first-class concert venue, with a magnificent acoustic - very largely financed, I understand, by a local businessman who has done well in the City.  It is already drawing big London names and ensembles, and I have to say it's much better than anything up the road in Cambridge.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the encore broadcast this afternoon. Apart from the superb dancing by the whole cast, a special word for the orchestra too- I found myself appreciating many of the tiny nuances of the score and how Ashton has interpreted these so brilliantly. I didn't notice any issues with the lighting, and on a related point. I think the storm is the most ferocious I have seen in any production of La Fille! Yes I think Darcey has improved - particularly in the interview with Lesley Collier which was very informative. I really appreciated her honesty about Natalia not being quite the Ashton dancer (yet) . Interestingly Darcey seemed most ill at ease in her piece about Peregrine.

Great to hear there will be six cinema broadcasts next season.

• Like 1

Well, they did, but I noticed at one point in the rehearsal Lesley Collier was demonstrating how Lise should be bending her body, and Natalia didn't really do it. The whole configuration of Collier's body during that demonstration was vintage Ashton, and I just hope she eventually managed to get Natalia to understand what she wanted, or I'm not sure that just the arms were going to do the trick.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the encore broadcast this afternoon. Apart from the superb dancing by the whole cast, a special word for the orchestra too- I found myself appreciating many of the tiny nuances of the score and how Ashton has interpreted these so brilliantly. I didn't notice any issues with the lighting, and on a related point. I think the storm is the most ferocious I have seen in any production of La Fille! Yes I think Darcey has improved - particularly in the interview with Lesley Collier which was very informative. I really appreciated her honesty about Natalia not being quite the Ashton dancer (yet) . Interestingly Darcey seemed most ill at ease in her piece about Peregrine.

Great to hear there will be six cinema broadcasts next season.

The storm is my favourite bit! I love how it all comes together, with the dancing, the may pole and ribbons being shaken, the agitated chickens, and of course finishing with Alain and his red umbrella. For a comedy, I think Fille finishes the act with one of the best climaxes in ballet ☺

Re Darcey, I was wondering if she was reading from a teleprompter? The subtitles didn't always line up with what she was saying, so I wondered if the basket for Peregrine was a late addition to the script that she wasn't quite ready for? Otherwise she was much better, especially her interview with Collier. Since their careers overlapped a bit, I was a bit curious if Collier ever coached Darcey herself after Collier retired. They seem to have a lovely, warm relationship.

Anyway I really warmed to Osipova this time. I think her style of acting is much 'bigger' than other dancers (more Bolshoi?) and her mime for the wedding still didn't work for me, but otherwise loved her. Loved her slightly insolent wet flick of the bonnet to her mum, the furious "get in there!" gesture to Colas to get under the table, the sheer panic with the pink scarves... I was a bit sorry the camera missed her miming "the wheat...it exploded!" which I always find funny. I wish McRae played Colas a bit dimmer - I thought his refusal to get in the drawer was a bit too sensible as I love it when Colas at least makes an attempt! And I do hope the lighting can be fixed for the dvd.

• Like 1

Well, I caught Fille on the encore performance this afternoon, but found it a rather frustrating experience in many respects.  Firstly, I have to mention the culprit (culprits?) who spent virtually the whole of the first act - barring maybe 5 minutes, and those weren't consecutive! - rustling bags.  I couldn't see who or where it was, because it was on the opposite side of the auditorium, but it just went on and on.  I don't know if they were eating or what, but if they were it must have been a 3-course banquet or something :(

Anyway, that aside - although I really can't put it totally aside, because it was hugely distracting - I still found the transmission rather disappointing on a technical level.  Not only was the lighting very much a problem in Act II - and it's not even as if the lighting was turned down for the pas de deux, as I think it is in the Nunez/Acosta DVD - but I found the choice of angles/shots frustrating.  Fille is a ballet which should really lend itself to widescreen filming because there is plenty going on, or at least occupying, the whole width of the stage.  Unfortunately, there were numerous points where closeups were chosen which I thought distracted from what was happening elsewhere on stage.  Actions and reactions were sometimes unclear.  I think cutting away from Alain's solo to show Simone and Thomas discussing money has already been mentioned - surely both could have been fitted in, to the left and right on the screen? - and you would get various characters' reactions to people coming in from off-camera without the time to see those people coming into shot at all.  Plus the front-of-cloth chickens: I felt it would have given a better appreciation of the choreography (and there was surely space enough) to show all four of them dancing, rather than zooming in on two of them.  Saddest of all in my eyes, though, was that part in Act II after Lise and Colas have been discovered in her room, when they are pleading with Simone to relent and let them marry - and at the same time, on the other side of the stage, Alain is doing that heartbreaking bit of choreography with the wedding ring where he leans over Thomas' walking-stick.  Those readers who've only ever seen it in the cinema will be wondering what on earth I'm talking about - and that's precisely my point.  We didn't get to see even a second of it.  To my mind, not acknowledging it, and the bittersweet fact that Lise and Colas' happiness is won at someone else's expense, undermines the ballet, and the character of Alain.

I think I must go back and look at the other recordings and see whether things were done differently there. 

• Like 2

One of those things that suddenly starts to bug me for no apparent reason: at the end of Alain's solo, he now does a handstand/cartwheel to land in the laps of Thomas and Simone.  Was it always like this?  I don't remember it from years ago - or perhaps I used to watch a lot from the right-hand side of the auditorium, where it wouldn't be so obvious.