Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, alison said:

What?  It's supposed to be a National Theatre production according to my guide.

And anyway, the RB didn't perform R&J in 2020 for some reason :(

the listing I have seen says it's recorded in 2019. The picture included to illustrate it, is of a play though. So who knows!

Might well be worth watching anyway, as background material to the RB's current run.  2 hours 10 minutes would be tight to squeeze the RB production in, although it might just about work.

If it's the RB, it will be the Naghdi/Ball cast, won't it?  Will set the recorder just in case.

10 minutes ago, alison said:

If it's the RB, it will be the Naghdi/Ball cast, won't it?  Will set the recorder just in case.

setting the recorder in case too.

I see BBC4 has a whole evening of dance programmes, not just The Dante Project (sorry to duplicaate if this already been said)

3 hours ago, SheilaC said:

Last night SkyArts said that the Romeo and Juliet film listed for tonight at 9pm is by Kenneth MacMillan. It's apparently from 2020.

That's what the Freeview guide has it as, too.  Wait and see, I guess.

4 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

My Freeview TV says 2019 Macmillan, the great British choreographer. 

My Sky Arts synopsis says Royal Ballet, 2019 performance, but tantalisingly, won’t say any cast names. Hope it’s not actually an older recording that’s already out on DVD! (Sky Arts has tricked us like that before!)  One thing we do know is that it can’t be 2020 as R&J wasn’t performed by RB in 2020- the only full length ballets were  Coppelia, Sleeping Beauty (those two at the tail end of the Christmas 2019 runs), Onegin, Swan Lake and the Covid-compliant Nutcracker. 

For those who can’t  see it or record it tonight at 9pm, the Sky Arts has scheduled a repeat on Friday morning at 6.55am. (Obviously for very very early risers who are not working, or for those recording....!)

Edited by Emeralds

19 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Indeed, all the evidence today is pointing towards this performance, so it is one already out on DVD (and was streamed for free I think by ROH during the first lockdown). I had a very small hope that it might be a different one - eg was there a Takada / Hirano performance filmed for Japanese TV? But it looks like Naghdi / Ball. 

How can they get it so darn wrong?  Very annoyed about this.   They got the choreographer wrong, the company wrong, and probably the year.  So disrespectful and incompetent.  I will also be contacting them. 🤬🤬

• Like 5

It’s the Ural Opera Ballet! Samodurov’s choreography, as Alison and Ian helpfully identified. Bel Air Classiques has a trailer for their DVD on YouTube. Funnily enough, I couldn’t identify it when I saw it, but the word “Yekaterinburg” just popped into my head! And I thought the dancers’ style of dancing looked Russian. Interesting, but definitely not what I was expecting!

Well, it certainly wasn’t RB nor Kenneth MacMillan. Good thing Lizbie1 and Alison warned me to expect possible surprises. 😂 I can get the Naghdi/Ball performance on DVD. I did say Sky Arts has done this before- where the synopsis or listings don’t actually match what is eventually broadcast! 

Edited by Emeralds

1 hour ago, alison said:

I feel a rude email to sky coming on: it's not good enough for the continuity announcer to say one thing and then for the programme to be something else entirely 😞

Heartily agree but just spent a couple of minutes trying to find a relevant email address . Can someone advise please.

• Like 1

I’ve copied and pasted the main cast and production team list - 

Juliet- Ekaterina Sapogova

Romeo -Alexandr Merkushev

Mercutio -Igor Bulytsyn

Benvolio - Gleb Sageev

Tybalt -Vadim Eremin

Ural Opera Ballet (Ekaterinburg) Orchestra of Ural Opera Ballet Theatre (Ekaterinburg)

Conductor Pavel Klinichev Choreography Vyacheslav Samodurov Sets Anthony Macilwaine

Costumes Irena Belousova Lighting Simon Bennison

• Like 2