Dance on terrestrial TV

Sky Arts ‘Play in a Day’
9.30pm
Tuesday 28 December 2021 

Featuring Sergei Polunin and 2 young dance graduates creating a new dance production in a day.

From Sergei’s IG:
“ Had great pleasure to take part in #SkyArts show "Play in a Day” — to join @k_kweiarmah and meet very talented young student dancers @leighshakedand @kamalsingh_art helping them to create and stage a new production in just 24 hours. 

Watch "Play in a Day" tomorrow at 9:30PM on @skytv “

Click on his IG post & story for some super images

https://www.instagram.com/poluninink/p/CX_Q8elqs5q/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by FionaE
Typo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s been a good many years now (probably around 30 -40) since I’ve seen the film West Side Story after seeing it many times  (something I rarely do with films) way way back ...when couldn’t make my mind up whether in love with Richard Beymour or George Shakiris lol! 
However I watched all the way through last night and thought what a wonderful film it still is ....just loved it all over again. Just everything is superb about it and even though I knew the ending was coming just couldn’t hold back the tears 😢 

I think I’ve read somewhere that a new version of this is going to be made. 
It will be interesting I suppose to see what they do with it but probably can’t be bettered really I think. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It will be interesting I suppose to see what they do with it but probably can’t be bettered really I think. 

Has been made....

West Side Story review – Spielberg’s triumphantly hyperreal remake | West Side Story (2021) | The Guardian

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I saw it on Monday and it’s excellent. Would recommend it (although there is one change in the plot that doesn’t make sense to me but it certainly ups the emotional quotient).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh thanks for that info had no idea the project was that far forward 🙄  released on Dec 10th it seems. 
I wonder whether Sondheim got to see it before he died recently. 
Will definitely give the new one a go but might need a few months after last night!! 

On 27/12/2021 at 14:18, FionaE said:
Sky Arts ‘Play in a Day’
9.30pm
Tuesday 28 December 2021 

Featuring Sergei Polunin and 2 young dance graduates creating a new dance production in a day.

From Sergei’s IG:
“ Had great pleasure to take part in #SkyArts show "Play in a Day” — to join @k_kweiarmah and meet very talented young student dancers @leighshakedand @kamalsingh_art helping them to create and stage a new production in just 24 hours. 

Watch "Play in a Day" tomorrow at 9:30PM on @skytv “

Click on his IG post & story for some super images

https://www.instagram.com/poluninink/p/CX_Q8elqs5q/?utm_medium=copy_link

Thankfully this appears to be repeated on 4th Jan at 0100hrs as I missed your post

20 hours ago, Rob S said:

Thankfully this appears to be repeated on 4th Jan at 0100hrs as I missed your post

Thank you I didn’t know that.  And of course it’s available on demand for Sky subscribers 😉

The dance piece created by Sergei and the 2 graduates Leigh Shaked and Kamal Singh is really impressive and emotional.  

‘Endlessness’ to music by Deadmau5 … an unusually classical piece by them.

In the interview afterwards, Sergei says the premise of creating something with a 24 hour brief he thought would be near impossible.  Theme, music, dancers, choreography, backdrop, … all unknown.  According to the producers, he stayed up all night, finding an idea to respond to the producers’ theme, and then choosing appropriate music.  It’s not shown but one assumes he had to come up with some choreography and the arc of the piece too, also overnight. 

BBC belatedly getting their act together and providing some ballet (albeit repeats). Better late than never I suppose.

Sunday 9th Jan 7.25-9pm Matthew Bournes Red Shoes. At last a ballet shown at a civilized time! 

Sunday 9th Jan 9-10pm  Men at the Barre. Doc about male dancers at the RB. Repeated at 1.25am Monday 10th Jan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

BBC belatedly getting their act together and providing some ballet (albeit repeats). Better late than never I suppose.

Sunday 9th Jan 7.25-9pm Matthew Bournes Red Shoes. At last a ballet shown at a civilized time! 

Sunday 9th Jan 9-10pm  Men at the Barre. Doc about male dancers at the RB. Repeated at 1.25am Monday 10th Jan

Red Shoes again? As noted upthread, it just came off the iPlayer after being there for about a year

and Men at the Barre will (probably) also be on iPlayer for 30 days (based on the current Dancing the Nutcracker).

Edited by oncnp

On 30/12/2021 at 16:27, jmhopton said:

Sunday 9th Jan 9-10pm  Men at the Barre. Doc about male dancers at the RB. Repeated at 1.25am Monday 10th Jan. 

Just a reminder about these - plus the Ashton Triple Bill on Sky Arts at 6 am this Saturday, i.e. tomorrow.  That is followed immediately after by Arts Uncovered, which appears to be covering Ballet Black this week.

On Wednesday 12th on Sky Arts:

6.45: LSO: Sir Simon Rattle conducting The Firebird, The Rite of Spring and Petrushka

Hurrah! At last!  new ballets/ballet films on the BBC.

Sat 15th Jan BBC2 10-11.45pm. Yuli: the Carlos Acosta story. Biopic based on the autobiography of the Cuban ballet dancer, from his troubled upbringing in Havana to his emergence as the Royal Ballet's first black principal dancer. Young Carlos is a happy go-lucky street urchin until his truck driver father decides that he should audition for the Havana State Ballet school. It says it's in Spanish. Hopefully that is a mistake!

Sun 23rd Jan BBC4 7-7.30pm Danceworks: Ballet Black. The Waiting Game Documentary that explores the work of Artistic Director Cassa Pancho as she nurtures aspiring young dancers and gains recognition for her company's collaborations with world-class choreographers. It also follows the creative process of South African dancer and choreographer Mthuthuzeli November, as he creates a dynamic new ballet inspired in equal measure by Samuel Beckett's seminal Waiting for Godot and his own African rhythms and language

Sun 23rd Jan BBC4 9-10.50pm RB Dante Project. No further details given.

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Hurrah! At last!  new ballets/ballet films on the BBC.

Sat 15th Jan BBC2 10-11.45pm. Yuli: the Carlos Acosta story. Biopic based on the autobiography of the Cuban ballet dancer, from his troubled upbringing in Havana to his emergence as the Royal Ballet's first black principal dancer. Young Carlos is a happy go-lucky street urchin until his truck driver father decides that he should audition for the Havana State Ballet school. It says it's in Spanish. Hopefully that is a mistake!

In Spanish with English subtitles.

BBC Two - Yuli: The Carlos Acosta Story

On 10/01/2022 at 16:33, jmhopton said:

Sun 23rd Jan BBC4 9-10.50pm RB Dante Project. No further details given.

BBC Four - The Royal Ballet: The Dante Project  .... based on timings may be entire performance (stream 1hr 55 min, broadcast 1hr 47 min). 

and at 1930 Carlos Acosta BBC Four - This Cultural Life, Series 1, Carlos Acosta

Edited by oncnp

I have replayed the streaming of The Dante Project numerous times and it continues to delight, challenge and entertain me. Plus to see the Company as an ensemble - particularly as there are so many talented dancers in this current generation - is a wonderful thing to behold, and I’m pleased  the strength and depth of talent will be recorded for posterity. I had dared to hope the BBC would screen it given that even with the dearth of ballet on our screens in recent years,  major new commissions by in-house choreographers have generally been aired. However, I didn’t think it would be shown before a further run at the Opera House, so I am extremely happy. It( just about) makes up for the lack of any new production being screened during the festive period. 

• Like 4

SkyArts Sun 23rd Jan 6-8.20am Australian Ballet Sleeping Beauty (I think it's been on before.)

SkyArts Mon 24th Jan 7.15-8.30am ENB in Paris. Repeated doc about ENBs Corsaire in Paris. Appropriate as a precursor to the Raymonda premiere on Monday also.

SkyArts Wed 26th Jan 645-9am Ashton triple repeat; Dream, Symphonic Variations and Marguerite and Armand (Yanovsky's farewell performance)

• Like 1

On 13/01/2022 at 22:18, jmhopton said:

SkyArts Sun 23rd Jan 6-8.20am Australian Ballet Sleeping Beauty (I think it's been on before.)

Last shown 16th November....my PVR didn't record it as the disc was full so I'm pleased it's back on again

Interestingly enough, despite the recorder flashing "REC" from the scheduled time onwards, it does appear to have recorded the entire film and nothing else.  Had I known, I might not have bothered staying up to watch it.