Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a "Romeo and Juliet" on Monday 23rd May, 6.55 am on Sky Arts.  I'm assuming it's ballet, given the timeslot, but I don't know anything more (and last time it was advertised as something it wasn't, so any information as to what it might be may have to be taken with a pinch of salt too).

10 hours ago, alison said:

There's a "Romeo and Juliet" on Monday 23rd May, 6.55 am on Sky Arts.  I'm assuming it's ballet, given the timeslot, but I don't know anything more (and last time it was advertised as something it wasn't, so any information as to what it might be may have to be taken with a pinch of salt too).

The EPG on my telly says it was performed by the Ural Opera Ballet in 2019, choreographed by Samodurov

On 13/05/2022 at 01:26, alison said:

Force of Nature Natalia on Sky Arts, Wednesday 18th May, I think at 8 am, or around then.

Was it a coincidence this was shown on May 18 - Ms Osipova’s birthday?

• Like 1

SkyArts is showing The Merry Widow (again!) Monday 6th June 7-8.45am.

With the announcement that from next year BBC4 will probably be phased out online, the places to find opera, ballet and classic drama are rapidly diminishing. Yet if people are prepared to pay large sums to see them live at theatres and also cinemas surely there are enough people who would enjoy watching them at home? We get the Radio Times every week and out of dozens of channels to choose from the only ones I'm interested in are BBC2, BBC4 and SkyArts and possibly Talking Pictures. How far have the BBC fallen if the Arts are seen as some sort of optional extra? It's enough to make Lord Reith turn in his grave! It also seems a mistake as, like Alison said in the BBC4 Forum link, probably the age range for BBC4  contains a lot of over 50s who may not want or have the facility to watch online. The BBC are once again chasing the cult of youth and ratings (one seemingly leading to another) whereas it's older people who tend to spend more time at home, especially in the evenings. Yet their needs never seem worthy of consideration. Why?

• Like 14

The Ballet Twins, Josh and Laurie McSherry-Gray will be participating in ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent show on Saturday 28 May 2022.

They are very excited about bringing ballet to a wider audience (millions watch this show) watch this clip … it looks beautiful the ballet they will be performing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnneMarriott said:

I recorded Britain's Got Talent on Saturday and have just watched it.  No ballet to be seen.  Have I misunderstood?

I always think of it as Britain’s Not Got Talent and never watch it!  Dancing dogs spring to mind…

• Like 1

Laurie and Josh McSherry Gray have explained on social media that their audition didn’t make the cut.

They had two yesses and two noes.

I fast forwarded the programme too and it seemed that a lot of time was wasted on conversation and linking comments from Ant and Dec. So The Ballet Twins have every reason to feel disappointed.

• Like 2

On their Instagram post they said: "It was something truly special and the mighty roar from the audience as we finished our duet was sensational."
Sounds like the audience did approve!
They have mentioned potentially releasing a filmed version of their performance for fans to see.

• Like 3

So sorry for the twins … the clip they showed in their pre-vlog looked beautiful AND mass appealing without dumbing down on ballet.  

And as they said afterwards the audience loved it.  

Shame on BGT and on Simon Cowell and Amanda Holden (the no’s) for not appreciating it.  Such a cool story of twin brothers too …  ITV missed a chance here.  

• Like 3

BBC4 Sunday 12th June 10-11.30pm Margot. Anne-Marie Duff stars as Margot Fonteyn in this drama exploring the ballerina's career and personal life. Along with the knowledge of her diplomat husband's infidelities, Margot senses mounting pressure from the Royal Ballet to consider retirement, but a professional partnership with Russian dancer Rudolf Nureyev turns her into a worldwide celebrity. With Michiel Huisman and Derek Jacobi

Good to know BBC4 are still showing ballet, even a probable repeat.

SkyArts Wed 15th June Merry Widow 7.15-9am. Probably the most recent version (again).

Edited by jmhopton
add information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

It's fairly well-known, I think, that Simon Cowell doesn't much care for ballet. 

No money in ballet for Simon Cowell so, of course, he has no interest in it.  I remember his obvious disappointment when George Sampson won the second series.

A quick look through this week's TV guide has produced quite a few things:

Saturday 11th June

Sky Arts, 7.45 am: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - presumably the usual suspects

Sunday 12th June

Sky Arts, 6 am: Rumpelstiltskin: BalletLORENT

BBC4, 8.30 pm: Performance Live: Winged Bull in the Elephant Case - dance by Wayne McGregor and others, from the National Gallery

BBC4, 10 pm: Margot (biopic)

Tuesday 14th June (technically Wednesday 15th)

Sky Arts, 3.15 am: Why Do We Dance?

Wednesday 15th June

Sky Arts, 7.15 am: The Australian Ballet: The Merry Widow

(This is preceded at 6 am by Tales of Offenbach, but I suspect that's opera)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

London Live Monday 27th June 3.05pm and Friday 1st July 3.10pm Tales of Beatrix Potter

SkyArts Wed 29th June 6am. English National Ballet in Paris. Doc about their Paris visit performing Le Corsaire. Just the doc. Not the ballet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SkyArts Sunday 17th July RB Giselle 6-8am. Usual photo of Acosta/Osipova but who knows.

More4 Tuesday 19th July 10-11pm Darcey Bussells Royal Road Trip. is this new? Doesn't seem to be especially dance related apart from being presented by Darcey.

The ballet star travels across the country to visit some of the locations where the Queen has made a lasting impression during her 70 years on the throne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, jmhopton said:

to visit some of the locations where the Queen has made a lasting impression during her 70 years on the throne

If her throne is anything like my sofa it will have quite an impression in it, and my sofa is only 12 years old!!

This (i.e. Sunday) evening:

BBC4, 8 pm (and repeated at 12.35 am)

Michael Clark's To a Simple, Rock 'n' Roll: Song

Wednesday 13th July, Sky Arts:

6.45 am: Sir Simon Rattle conducts Stravinsky Ballets

10 pm  The South Bank Sky Arts Awards (I believe there was some dance content in this?)

Thursday 14th July, Sky Arts:

6 pm: Portrait Artist of the Year 2020: Carlos Acosta

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those who won't be able to see Darcey Bussell's Royal Road Trip on More4 Tues 19th Jul 10-11pm (repeated 1.15am and 2.15am Wed 20th Jul)  it is repeated on the same channel Sat 23rd July at 6.55pm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sat 30th July 2.40am-5.10am. Talking Pictures. Nijinsky. Biopic charting the rise and fall of the legendary dancer and his relationships with mentor Sergei Diaghilev and fellow ballet star Romola de Pulsky. Starring George De La Pena, Alan Bates, Leslie Browne and Ronald Pickup

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not a full ballet…but ballet is the subject of this SkyNewsAustralia segment an hour ago. Related to an earlier thread but this is a TV segment, so I’m posting it here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X3HxfwOABew

SNAustralia is a conservative outlet that normally mocks Wokeism. Still…it’s the subject of ballet on TV. Good to be exposed to all sides.

• Thanks 1

The Darcey Bussell Royal Road Trip (see above) starts at White Lodge where apparently the Queen lived for the first year of her life which I didn't know. From the piece in the Radio Times that may be the only ballet related item on the programme.

SkyArts Wed 27th July 6.10-7.45am another repeat showing of the Royal Ballet in Cuba.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/07/2022 at 23:03, jmhopton said:

SkyArts Sunday 17th July RB Giselle 6-8am. Usual photo of Acosta/Osipova but who knows.

More4 Tuesday 19th July 10-11pm Darcey Bussells Royal Road Trip. is this new? Doesn't seem to be especially dance related apart from being presented by Darcey.

The ballet star travels across the country to visit some of the locations where the Queen has made a lasting impression during her 70 years on the throne

Thanks jmhopton! I came across this by chance in between watching the World Athletics Championships and it wasn’t much of a dance show-more like a travelogue where she visits landmarks significant in the Queen’s life. The first episode visited Scottish landmarks, so lots of pretty scenery. A bit of scone making, tea on the Britannia yacht, visiting the Highland Games venue at Braemar, etc. Will look out for the Nijinsky film if we are free that weekend (one for night owls, haha).

• Like 1

Wed 3rd Aug 10-11pm SkyArts South Bank Show with Carlos Acosta (I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but as I'm adding something else thought I'd mention it). Not sure if this has been shown before as there was a comment from someone who'd enjoyed it.

Thurs 4th Aug Together TV 12.30-1.45 AM(!) Beyond Moving (2919) 

Documentary about the rise to fame of South African ballet dancer Siphe November

Can't say I've ever heard of Together TV. Apparently it is a community channel and it's numbers are:-

Freeview 83  Sky 170  Virgin 269  Freesat 164

I hope this is correct. When I Googled it it keeps moving about so can't guarantee the above links are still valid.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Odyssey said:

The Sky Arts South Bank Show on Carlos Acosta does appear to be new according to the listing and The Times article on today’s Dance Links. 

And according to Carlos’s own social media posts.