Dance on terrestrial TV

Sun 22nd Jan BBC4 Romeo and Juliet: beyond words. The Balletboyz abridged version of the RB Romeo and Juliet filmed about 3 years ago and starring Francesca Hayward and William Bracewell. I thought at the time they were supposed to be going on to film Manon and Mayerling but I haven't heard anything about this lately. Has anyone else? May be a way of getting Vadim's Mayerling on film! (Though I suspect they'll probably do Manon first if they do film them.)

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The film Red Sparrow is on again on Film4 at 9pm on Tuesday 17 January. It includes choreography by Justin Peck, dancing by Sergei Polunin and by Isabella Boylston as the dance double for Jennifer Lawrence. The cast includes Charlotte Rampling (who I've seen on her own at a ballet matinee in Paris) and Jeremy Irons among other good actors. Not a terrific amount of ballet shown and the film can end up feeling a bit long winded but worth watching once.

Rhapsody and Two Pigeons are on SkyArts again next Saturday, 21st, at 7 am.

On Radio 4 next Wednesday (18) Wayne Sleep discusses Jerome Robbins in the Dancing Legends series. I expect a lot will be about Robbins's fabulous contribution to musical choreography and production.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

BBC4  7.45pm this evening Romeo & Juliet: Beyond Words. So pleased to see this is getting another showing.

The current attitude of the BBC to dance programming is glaring - the ‘themed’ evening slots which BBC4 favour, and frequently do so well, in which they bring together some related documentaries and recorded performances  from the archives , is tonight reduced to an episode of Terry Wogan presenting Come Dancing! The other evening slots are taken up by two programmes about Vivienne Westwood.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alison said:

There's something on Sky Arts in the early hours this coming Tuesday called "Romeo & Juliet", but I don't know whether it's dance or something else.

Tuesday 6:50 am

Length 2 hours 10 mins

Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, performed in 2019 by the Ural Opera Ballet and choreographed by Vyacheslav Samodurov.

From the DVD Description

Juliet - Ekaterina Sapogova
Romeo - Alexandr Merkushev
Mercutio - Igor Bulytsyn
Benvolio - Gleb Sageev
Tybalt - Vadim Eremin

Edited by oncnp

7 hours ago, RMM1 said:

Sunday 29th January 2023:  BBC4 has the BRB 'Don Quixote' from 7.45pm and a repeat of the Ann-Marie Duff 'Margot' from 9.45pm. Usual 'Come Dancing' repeat from 7pm as well.

Fabulous that the BRB Don Q is being shown at last (unlike the RB Ashton triple!) Was very impressed with it when I saw it in Birmingham and thought the sets in particular far better than the RB version. Good to see Margot again as well. You wonder how much ballet will be shown on the BBC when BBC4 is closed down as most of its ballet seems to be shown there. Let's hope it keeps going for a while yet.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for some reason Sky Arts are outdoing themselves over the next few days!

Saturday 18th February, 6.15 am: Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sunday 19th February, 6.30 am: Giselle

(There's also a La Boheme from the Royal Opera on BBC4 that evening)

Tuesday 21st February, 6 am: Alvin Ailey Dance Theater

No indication of casting, but I expect it'll be the usual suspects.

5 hours ago, alison said:

Well, for some reason Sky Arts are outdoing themselves over the next few days!

Saturday 18th February, 6.15 am: Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sunday 19th February, 6.30 am: Giselle

(There's also a La Boheme from the Royal Opera on BBC4 that evening)

Tuesday 21st February, 6 am: Alvin Ailey Dance Theater

No indication of casting, but I expect it'll be the usual suspects.

They are outdoing themselves with ridiculous times to show ballet, as they always do.   

Sky arts are steaming Alices Adventures in Wonderland on Saturday 18th Feb at 6:15 to 8:30 am G.M.T. This is a different cast to the two versions available on DVD. Sarah Lamb, Edward Watson and Federico Bonelli star in the Royal Ballet's 2013 production based on Lewis Carroll's classic children's story, with choreography by Christopher Wheeldon and music by Joby Talbot.

• Like 2

I've only done a very quick look at next week's TV guide, but, on Sky Arts:

Tuesday 28th February, 6.30 am: "Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake" - at a guess I'd say the Matthew Bourne version, but I don't know for sure.

Thursday 2nd March, 7.20 am: The Royal Ballet in Cuba

51 minutes ago, alison said:

on Sky Arts:

Tuesday 28th February, 6.30 am: "Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake" - at a guess I'd say the Matthew Bourne version, but I don't know for sure.

according to my TV guide:

"To mark the 50th anniversary of Rudolf Nureyev's iconic version of Tchaikovsky's ballet, this 2014 Vienna State Opera production revives the show with new sets, costumes and more."

And 'more'?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On BBC Four:

Sunday 5th March, 7:40 pm : "Revisor by Crystal Pite and Jonathon Young"

It's just a repeat from 2020 but I missed it at the time so now I'm really looking forward to finally being able to see this piece.

By the way: I was very happy when I noticed a few years ago that my cable provider in Switzerland also made the BBC programs available. Allows me to get a glimpse of British ballet without having to travel, for which I am very grateful...
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

according to my TV guide:

"To mark the 50th anniversary of Rudolf Nureyev's iconic version of Tchaikovsky's ballet, this 2014 Vienna State Opera production revives the show with new sets, costumes and more."

And 'more'?

If it's Nureyev's production it will be more steps.... too many (More is less)

• Like 4

The Radio Times just said "Swan Lake" so I ignored it, but this sounds very interesting, I must dig out my DVD of Fonteyn and Nureyev in this production to verify, but I think this is the one where Nureyev gave himself a coda to the 2nd act pdd, which did exist in the original score, it includes a glorious diagonal of steps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2023 at 23:43, alison said:

Doing this from memory, but:

Sky Arts next Thursday, 16th March, La Bayadère at some ungodly hour of the morning, 6.40 am, I think.  I'm assuming it's the Royal Ballet version.

It is RB and, according to my TV guide, (which isn't always accurate) it's Rojo/Acosta/Nunez. This may be right as I seem to remember that SkyArts filmed all the ROH cinema broadcasts for the year of this Bayadere. Unfortunately, I don't think they continued. Interesting Marianela is in both recordings; this one and the recent one with Vadim/Nunez/Osipova

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

My TV says it’s Nunez/Osipova/Muntagirov. As usual, with Sky Arts, who knows?

You could be right, Scherezade as I've just remembered SkyArts have a bit of an Acosta fixation as they show his picture everytime they screen Giselle, even though its always Vadim and Marianela. It's just better to set the recorder and take what comes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, jmhopton said:

SkyArts are showing Australian Sleeping Beauty on Wed 29th March at the usual insomniac friendly time of 6.40am-9am.

For me at least the only way these times make any sense is by use of the recording facility on the YouView box.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sat 15th April 2.10am-3am, repeated 8.10am-9am a programme called Art is Our Voice on Japanese Channel NHK World, Sky channel 507. Don't know about other broadcasters.

In summer 2022, 21 Ukrainian dancers from Kyiv's National Ballet toured 16 cities across Japan - most sought refuge in Europe, but the tour provided a chance to reunite and dance in honour of Ukraine.

The picture provided in my online tv guide shows a group of men dancing a gopak so I don't know if it's more folk than ballet but looks potentially interesting.

SkyArts are also doing the RB Giselle (again!) at 7am Wed 19th April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Better late than never! Tonight at 10pm est, the US’ public television network will broadcast Ballet Hispanico’s Dona Perón (chor Anabel López Ochoa/mus Peter Salem) as filmed in Nov 2022 at the John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Some stations will repeat it later during the weekend.

https://thecitylife.org/2023/03/29/ballet-hispanicos-dona-peron-premieres-on-pbs/

• Like 1