Dance on terrestrial TV

I suspect this is a repeat, but: 

BBC4, Sunday 7th May, 11 pm: Imagine ... Wayne McGregor - Dancing on the Edge.

Possibly on so late to avoid any clash with the Coronation Concert earlier in the evening.

This certainly is a repeat:

Sky Arts, Wednesday 10th May, 7.25 am: The Royal Ballet in Cuba.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/04/2023 at 12:05, Sim said:

Sun 30th April BBC4 8pm Dance Passion Liverpool: Find the Feeling

Further information on this programme....it will feature Matthew Ball and Mayara Magri dancing Ball's piece (Re)Current, a duet he made for the two of them.  Filmed in the gorgeous St. George's Hall in Liverpool, it should be lovely.  

Lots of great dancing from all the participants but Anton Tiplov and his British wife Jane (nee Caulfield), were very impressive in being able to dance the Ukrainian hopak with great verve and panache in practice clothes on the pavement of a busy street, frequently being “video bombed” by a passing car, but still able to smile and convey the spirit and joy of the hopak. Would love to see them get a slot in a gala or a variety show with the traditional costumes and live music instead of being “accompanied” by a “corps de ballet” of busy traffic. 😅

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Sky Arts are spoiling us this week:

An unspecified Swan Lake (wondering if it's the Matthew Bourne version?) at 6 am on Saturday 13th, and the Australian Ballet Sleeping Beauty at 6.45 am on Tuesday 16th.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alison said:

Sky Arts are spoiling us this week:

An unspecified Swan Lake (wondering if it's the Matthew Bourne version?) at 6 am on Saturday 13th,

My TV guide says: "To mark the 50th anniversary of Rudolf Nureyev's iconic version of Tchaikovsky's ballet, this 2014 Vienna State Opera production revives the show with new sets, costumes and more."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the Wiener Staatsballet Swan Lake... I’m not keen on the latest RB version ending but this took odd decisions to a whole new level! Apart from Siegfried flailing about in dry ice - drowning I assume - if the last minute does not include the swans folded up like powder puffs on the stage as the lovers sail off into bliss I’m frankly disappointed 

• Like 1

All on Sky Arts this coming week:

Sunday May 21st:

7.15 am: Queen and Bejart: Ballet For Life

Monday 22nd May:

9 PM: Discovering Dance on Film (possibly repeated on Tuesday?)

Tuesday 23rd May:

2.35 am: Why Do We Dance?

7.30 am: Discovering Dance on Film

Wednesday 24th May:

7 am: Rhapsody/The Two Pigeons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BBC Four

Monday 5th June

11:50 pm: Men at the Barre - Inside the Royal Ballet

It's only a rerun but I love watching the fabulous boys from the Royal Ballet.

Sometimes I look at London with a little envy, how much footage (training, rehearsals, performances, even if only excerpts) is published by the Royal Ballet. "My" Stuttgart Ballet is unfortunately much more stingy in this respect...

• Like 4

Less than I thought, actually:

Sunday 28th May:

Sky Arts, 7.15 am: Rumpelstilzchen (I think BalletLorent?)

Monday 29th May:

Sky Arts, 7.15 am: Alvin Ailey Dance Theater

BBC4, 11 pm: Kate Prince: Every Move She Makes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shows how little ballet there's been on TV lately as this thread had almost vanished from the first page!

SkyArts RB Giselle (again!) 6am Friday June 23rd. Usual stock photo of Acosta/Osipova which usually means it's Nunez/Muntagirov, but who knows.

SkyArts NYCB Balanchine's Nutcracker Tues 27th June 6.10-8am, filmed in 2011.

For an Arts channel they never seem to schedule their most artistic content at a time people actually want to watch it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2023 at 13:57, jmhopton said:

Shows how little ballet there's been on TV lately as this thread had almost vanished from the first page!

SkyArts RB Giselle (again!) 6am Friday June 23rd. Usual stock photo of Acosta/Osipova which usually means it's Nunez/Muntagirov, but who knows.

SkyArts NYCB Balanchine's Nutcracker Tues 27th June 6.10-8am, filmed in 2011.

For an Arts channel they never seem to schedule their most artistic content at a time people actually want to watch it.

Enjoyed seeing Tiler Peck (who recently performed so marvellously at Sadler’s Wells) dancing the lead Marzipan Shepherdesses variation (to the Mirlitons music) in Act 2 of this morning’s broadcast of Balanchine’s Nutcracker, Ashley Bouder in the Dewdrop role in the Waltz of the Flowers, and Megan Fairchild as Sugar Plum Fairy. Interesting that in Balanchine’s choreography, Marzipan and Dewdrop actually have more difficult choreography than SPF, with the gargouillades given to Marzipan and the fouettés and some difficult jumps to Dewdrop, leaving SPF with relatively easy steps instead. Surreal to be watching Nutcracker right in the middle of a warm June morning 😂, but one is grateful for any classical ballet at all on tv nowadays. Thank you, @jmhopton for posting the listing! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

My usual online TV schedule hasn't been working for a couple of weeks so I've had to rely on the Radio Times which only goes up to a week ahead. After a very quick look for next week (may not be definitive) I can only see

SkyArts Tues 4th Jul 6-8am RB Rhapsody and Two Pigeons

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

after a very quick look for next week (may not be definitive) I can only see

SkyArts Tues 4th Jul 6-8am RB Rhapsody and Two Pigeons

The scheduler must REALLY love that double bill!!! 😉

• Like 1

Yes, they must but I'm with the scheduler (though not necessarily at 6am)! Vadim's Young Man (and pigeon managing skills) and Fumi's Gypsy are a fabulous combination. I think his second act solo is my favourite recorded solo of his. He just looks so happy and carefree; full of the joys of dance. Rhapsody is pretty good too!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Ballet's Liverpudlian principle dancer and his fellow Principle dancer Mayara Magri perform his own choreography at St George's Hall Liverpool in Dance Passion Liverpool - Find the Feeling, currently streaming on BBC Iplayer.

• Thanks 1

Monday 7th Aug SkyArts 6.15am-8am Royal Ballet in Cuba

Thursday 10th Aug SkyArts 1.15-3am Balanchines Nutcracker NYCB (obviously only insomniacs watch the Arts)

Finally, and this is very strange. I thought it was a misprint; Carlos Acosta on the Parliament Channel! Tuesday 8th August 3.30-4am, part of a series entitles This Cultural Life. Mini doc on Carlos repeated at the more user friendly time of 4.30pm Sat 5th and also 12th Aug. Also 10.30am Sunday 6th Aug. Very appropriate, given his birthday celebrations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I always miss all these Sky Arts ones as can’t seem to wake up much before 9am these days 

💤🙄
I tried recording once but didn’t work on our Smart Tv lol!! 

Edited by LinMM

If there's anything ballet-related that was shown on UK TV  in the last 25-30 years I probably have a DVD recording of it.  I'm downsizing and have a ginormous collection of recordings i want to donate so if there's anything in particular you'd like to see, please pm me.

I'm not selling but am happy to give stuff to ballet-lovers, rather than add to landfill.

Linda

Edited by loveclassics
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great Railway Journeys St. Petersburg to Tashkent available on BBC iPlayer.

Natalia Makarova and her son return to Russia in this 1994 documentary.

It's very interesting to see the various cities the train, 'The Bolshoi Express' visits.

Scenes that have stuck in my mind are the fishermen trying to catch sturgeon for caviar; the war memorial in the former Stalingrad; the circus scene where Andrusha nearly gives Natasha a heart attack playing on the trapeze; and the young dancer at the end.

I can't say I liked the English passengers on the train, I don't think I would like to spend two weeks with them.

Here is the link: BBC iPlayer - Great Railway Journeys - Series 2: 3. Natalia Makarova: St. Petersburg To Tashkent

Well worth a watch!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 31/07/2023 at 04:33, loveclassics said:

If there's anything ballet-related that was shown on UK TV  in the last 25-30 years I probably have a DVD recording of it.  I'm downsizing and have a ginormous collection of recordings i want to donate so if there's anything in particular you'd like to see, please pm me.

I'm not selling but am happy to give stuff to ballet-lovers, rather than add to landfill.

Linda

Hello again Linda, how very thoughtful of you. I have just dropped you a private note by email. Best wishes and thank you, Sebastian

• Like 1

Tonight a new episode of Dance around the World with Eric Gauthier was shown on 3sat. This time it was about London.

Among other things, excerpts from a rehearsal for "Jewels - Diamonds" with Marianela Nunez as well as excerpts from a rehearsal and the performance of MacMillan's "Mayerling" were shown (if I saw that correctly, probably Ryoichi Hirano and Natalia Osipova as Rudolf and Mary, also Marianela Nunez as Mitzi). There was a brief visit to the Royal Ballet School, Ballet Rambert, Wayne McGregor Studios, Hofesh Shechter and Akram Khan.

If you want to get a taste of it and are not put off by the fact that it is a German documentary, here is the link to the 3sat media library, where you can access the program until August 4th, 2024:

https://www.3sat.de/kultur/kultur-in-3sat/dance-around-the-world-london-102.html

The show is not aimed specifically at a ballet audience, but aims to introduce the culturally interested viewer to various people from the contemporary dance scene in each location, so please don't expect in-depth discussions. I found it very entertaining nonetheless.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2023 at 16:39, Stevie said:

Sky Arts are showing Royal Ballet 'La Bayadere' on Saturday 19th August at 6:10 am GMT. the version with Rojo, Acosta and Nunez.

I have just found a different Sky Arts Schedule which says that it is the Mariinsky version starring Viktoria Tereshina, another saying it is the POB and two others agreeing that it is Royal Ballet. So I will wait and see what shows up ???

4 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I have just found a different Sky Arts Schedule which says that it is the Mariinsky version starring Viktoria Tereshina, another saying it is the POB and two others agreeing that it is Royal Ballet. So I will wait and see what shows up ???

And one of them says Nunez, Osipova and Munagirov.