Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

its what the record function is for - you can then watch at leisure, or when they showing Andre Rieu (again!)

Not sure of all options but I think you need a TV with 'freeview play' or a set top recorder for this. I can do it on my recording DVD player. It can even record Andre Rieu, so I can play it back when I go out

• Like 2

On 15/09/2023 at 01:14, Ondine said:

That bad huh?

The only problem I see is that he insists on carrying out all his own editing and unfortunately he is very bad at it. So at crucial highlight of the shows, we get to see lingering shots of lighting columns, people crying into handkerchiefs, long shots of the audience, audience drinking, singing along and walking about. If we could only just watch the show and enjoy it, that would be great. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2023 at 00:58, Sim said:

I know, but we can’t record.  😩

I wouldn't buy another recording DVD player, ours appears to be in a continuous battle with our SMART TV, for which is in control. I would prefer to buy a FREEVIEW SET top PVR, or wait until I need a replacement TV and buy one with 'FREEVIEW PLAY'. I wonder what other experiences are ?

Apologies if already mentioned

BBC 4 

24 Sept 20:00

Mozart's Requiem

Witness an epic, heart-rending journey of the soul, as Opera North, Phoenix Dance Theatre, Jazzart Dance Theatre and Cape Town Opera combine for a powerful performance.

Filmed at Leeds Grand Theatre, this unforgettable contemporary dance staging of Mozart’s great choral lament is choreographed by Dane Hurst and conducted by Garry Walker.

Featuring soloists Ellie Laugharne, Ann Taylor, Mongezi Mosoaka and Simon Shibambu alongside the Chorus and Orchestra of Opera North.

2 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

IPlayer has an old Omnibus from the 60s about Diaghilev, presented by Peter Ustinov.   Contributions are from De Valois, Karsavina, Rambert, Massine and many more.

I have seen it.  Well worth a watch!

18 hours ago, OnePigeon said:

IPlayer has an old Omnibus from the 60s about Diaghilev, presented by Peter Ustinov.   Contributions are from De Valois, Karsavina, Rambert, Massine and many more.

This is a great programme. It seemed that this was part 1 of a two part documentary and I wondered if anyone has any information on the second part?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Janite said:

This is a great programme. It seemed that this was part 1 of a two part documentary and I wondered if anyone has any information on the second part?

The second part, broadcast a week later, was called 'Diaghilev, The Years in Exile', and dealt with the last 10 years of his life.  The format was the same, with some additional contributors.

(Did Jane Pritchard show one or both of these in one of her wonderful NFT series? The second one isn't on I player but I'm sure I've seen them both a lot more recently than 1968.)

John Drummond's book contains transcripts of all the interviews - fun to see how responsive different people were - some give brief, paragraph-long answers to Drummond's questions, whilst Serge Lifar talks for 2 1/2 pages of small print before needing another prompt.

There's also a long and wonderful introduction about how he met the people he interviewed, including stories about how Anton Dolin left him to pay a huge bill in a bar in Cannes, how Alicia Markova was incapable of telling any story in less than 15 minutes, etc etc - it's fascinating and I confess that though I've had that book for years, I can't remember ever actually reading it before - so thank you for reminding me of it, jm365!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Jane S said:

The second part, broadcast a week later, was called 'Diaghilev, The Years in Exile', and dealt with the last 10 years of his life.  The format was the same, with some additional contributors.

Thank you @Jane S, I will have a look and see if I can find it elsewhere.
Edit: it seems to be available at BFI Southbank, I will investigate further.

Edited by Janite

50 minutes ago, Jane S said:

(Did Jane Pritchard show one or both of these in one of her wonderful NFT series? The second one isn't on I player but I'm sure I've seen them both a lot more recently than 1968.)

I have a feeling I saw (some of?) it at a Barbican exhibition some decades ago.

Rather too late to be of any use except possibly to night owls, but Sky Arts has Queen & Bejart: Dance for Life starting in a few hours at 6.10 am.

Also, on Sunday 8th at 7.15 pm on BBC4 there's a repeat of Shakespeare Live! From the RSC, which IIRC included 3 pieces of dance: Yasmine Naghdi (and I'm guessing Matthew Ball?) in the balcony pas de deux from Romeo & Juliet, something involving Dane Hurst, I think, and I can't remember what the other one was.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p014blwf/omnibus-diaghilev-the-years-abroad

Diaghilev: The Years Abroad. 

First transmitted in 1968, this is the first of two Omnibus programmes about the Russian impresario Diaghilev. Presented by Peter Ustinov, this episode focuses on Diaghilev’s early life and the first seasons of his legendary ballet company Ballets Russes from 1909 until the outbreak of war in 1914. Friends and colleagues, including Cecil Beaton and prima ballerina Tamara Karsavina, reveal what Diaghilev meant to them and the impact he had on both ballet and the artists he commissioned

• 54 mins
  • First shown 2 Jan 1968

Details of Part 2:

Diaghilev 1872-1929: Part 2: The Years in Exile

Omnibus presenting the second of two programmes on the great Russian impresario Diaghilev. Introduced by Peter Ustinov. The story of Diaghilev and his ballet company from 1919 until his death ten years later, as told by his friends and colleagues Tamara Karsavina, Lydia Sokolova, Dame Marie Rambert, Dame Ninette de Valois, Dame Alicia Markova, Sacheverell Sitwell, Leonide Massine, Nicolas Nabokov, Igor Markevitch, Serge Lifar, Cyril Beaumont, Anton Dolin, Ursula Moreton, Laura Wilson, Leighton Lucas, Errol Addison. Written and produced by John Drummond. A BBC TV-Bavarian TV Service co-production

Jan 9th 1968 50 mins

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

That is such a fascinating watch, that it repays a rewatch and several rewinds. It's a great shame part 2 isn't as readily available, though it still exists. I've been mulling it over. More in another post perhaps.

One of the items of interest, only on screen a second or two, was this, in the part about how Diaghilev revived the ballet Giselle.

GiselleCecchetti.jpg.0ac6073253c27e1a8962335a1124eee2.jpg

The character we know as Albrecht, as danced by Nijinsky, was then named Loys (his servant 'Le domestique de Loys') and 'La mere de Giselle' (no name) was played by non other than Maestro Enrico Cecchetti himself.

In his younger days Cecchetti was a great 'mime' as well as a virtuoso dancer. He was company ballet master. The role of a woman was played by a man 'en travesti'.

Enrico Cecchetti, with his great gifts as a mime, played Giselle's mother.

https://www.alastairmacaulay.com/all-essays/giselle-questions-answers

Also:  The role of le Garde Forestier [Hilarion] was first performed by Alexis Bulgakov in Paris and taken over by Adolf Bolm in London

Here is his costume, in the V & A

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O1114693/theatre-costume/

Edited by Ondine
  • Thanks 2

On 06/10/2023 at 20:46, alison said:

Rather too late to be of any use except possibly to night owls, but Sky Arts has Queen & Bejart: Dance for Life starting in a few hours at 6.10 am.

Also, on Sunday 8th at 7.15 pm on BBC4 there's a repeat of Shakespeare Live! From the RSC, which IIRC included 3 pieces of dance: Yasmine Naghdi (and I'm guessing Matthew Ball?) in the balcony pas de deux from Romeo & Juliet, something involving Dane Hurst, I think, and I can't remember what the other one was.

Thank you for flagging this

Nagdhi/Ball 17:30

Dane Hurst 32:50

BBC iPlayer - Shakespeare Live! From the RSC

Edited by oncnp

22 hours ago, Stevie said:

From the official Christian Dior youtube channel. Dior Celebrates International Dance Day with "Nuit Romaine". 

https://youtu.be/BxsHOaGkjzc?si=fhUQZD8yU5EkiCcO

Thanks for that, the header doesn't do it justice does it?   And the music!!

To celebrate International Dance Day, "Nuit Romaine," directed by Angelin Preljocaj and set in the Palazzo Farnese in Rome, follows the story of the goddess of the night, Nox, who comes to the Palazzo Farnese, bringing darkness and mystery into this place of power. Mesmerizing costumes by Maria Grazia Chiuri extend the movements of the dancers, with the site’s sculptures seemingly coming to life to interpret stories of love and passion. © Produced in collaboration with the French Embassy and the Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, whose ballet director Eleonora Abbagnato is featured alongside ballet star Friedemann Vogel.

• Like 1

I have watched the Omnibus Diaghilev - The Years Abroad and thought it wonderful.  So much important ballet history presented in a straightforward manner.  Does anyone know where to find the second episode, The Years in Exile.  It is not on iplayer and an internet search has not found any film.

16 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I think the BFI holds a copy

https://collections-search.bfi.org.uk/web/Details/ChoiceFilmItems/153231610

Sadly it's not easily viewable on the internet as Part One is.

You can watch it in the NYPL Lincoln Center in the Jerome Robbins Dance Collection on the third floor any time you may find yourself in NYC.   There is no charge.  

I've just realised, rather belatedly, that there has been a 6-part programme on BBC2, Wednesday evenings, called "Moulin Rouge: Yes We Can-Can!" - behind the scenes at the Moulin Rouge.  It was part 4 this evening.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2023 at 22:35, Ondine said:

Thanks for that, the header doesn't do it justice does it?   And the music!!

To celebrate International Dance Day, "Nuit Romaine," directed by Angelin Preljocaj and set in the Palazzo Farnese in Rome, follows the story of the goddess of the night, Nox, who comes to the Palazzo Farnese, bringing darkness and mystery into this place of power. Mesmerizing costumes by Maria Grazia Chiuri extend the movements of the dancers, with the site’s sculptures seemingly coming to life to interpret stories of love and passion. © Produced in collaboration with the French Embassy and the Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, whose ballet director Eleonora Abbagnato is featured alongside ballet star Friedemann Vogel.

We both enjoyed it. I have liked all Preljocaj works that I have seen and would like to see those that I have not seen yet. Sometimes things can be left understated to give the viewer a pleasant surprise. 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2023 at 19:22, Pas de Quatre said:

It is odd that iPlayer doesn't have it available as it was  BBC programme. Maybe it is something to do with copyright of some of the content.

The first of the two forms part of a chosen selection of eight Omnibus programmes.  Not all of Omnibus sadly is on iplayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007z7k9/episodes/player

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b007z7k9/omnibus

All eight are listed there. The Diaghilev one is the last.

Edited by Ondine
  • Thanks 1

Rather short notice again, but Sky Arts has:

This coming Saturday: Swan Lake (unspecified, but I'd guess the Vienna State Ballet version)

And Monday 23rd October: Giselle (again, unspecified, but I assume it will be the Royal Ballet, Nunez/Muntagirov)

Both at the delightful hour of 6 am.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alison said:

Rather short notice again, but Sky Arts has:

This coming Saturday: Swan Lake (unspecified, but I'd guess the Vienna State Ballet version)

And Monday 23rd October: Giselle (again, unspecified, but I assume it will be the Royal Ballet, Nunez/Muntagirov)

Both at the delightful hour of 6 am.

Yes, Vienna State Swan Lake, again and again.

The listing on one Sky Arts Schedule says for Giselle (Quote)

" Royal Ballet production, starring Natalia Osipova and Carlos Acosta"

Natalia Osipova and Carlos Acosta star in Peter Wrights Royal Ballet Production of Marius Petipa's classic version of the ballet, Staged at the Royal Opera House.

Another listing says it is the 2016 production, but carries images of Osipova and Acosta.

It appears likely that Sky Arts don't know which version it is and care even less.

A volunteer wanted to get up early and tell us.