Dance on terrestrial TV

5 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I have just found a different Sky Arts Schedule which says that it is the Mariinsky version starring Viktoria Tereshina, another saying it is the POB and two others agreeing that it is Royal Ballet. So I will wait and see what shows up ???

As long as something does....!  The usual ridiculous show time for ballet.  Sky Arts clearly has no time for our artform.  Oh it does...always before 0800.. :(

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Sim said:

As long as something does....!  The usual ridiculous show time for ballet.  Sky Arts clearly has no time for our artform.  Oh it does...always before 0800.. :(

Yes, rarely after 6:30 am GMT. Not an early riser, so I always record them, it will be a while after when I find out what they finally broadcast. My guess is they don't actually know which version it is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevie said:

I have just found a different Sky Arts Schedule which says that it is the Mariinsky version starring Viktoria Tereshina, another saying it is the POB and two others agreeing that it is Royal Ballet. So I will wait and see what shows up ???

???!!!

Well, I already have the RB version on disc, so I think I'll assume that's what it is - particularly since I haven't been able to set up my old recording system since I moved.

The other day caught Balanchine’s Nutcracker... goodness me some lovely dancing on that huge stage. But did not like the two moppets! It was 2011 but the Chinese dance - incredibly dated surely even though a while ago. Amazed they got away with that and I never take offence, certainly on someone else’s behalf but it reminded me of Christopher Lee as Fu Manchu! And it had one of the oddest steps I have ever seen with the sugar plum fairy en arabesque pulled across the stage by her partner. So at least Sky Arts showed me something I’d never seen before! 

21 hours ago, alison said:

???!!!

Well, I already have the RB version on disc, so I think I'll assume that's what it is - particularly since I haven't been able to set up my old recording system since I moved.

At the risk of being obvious, have you carried out a factory reset.

1. Press the Functions menu button on the remote control, and when the menu appears, select Others and press OK.
  2. Then select Set Up and press OK.
  3. Select To Others and press the right hand arrow on the circle pad.
  4. Then select Initialize and press OK.
  5. Wait for it to complete tuning in.

Failing that, try a reboot.

Unplug your DVR from the power socket for a few minutes, until all power has drained. Then plug in the power plug again and switch on, Maybe the channels will need retuning, and try again.

No way am I doing a factory reset: I've got hours and hours of recordings on it.  No, I carefully wrote down all the interconnections before I disconnected them, but when I tried reconnecting it didn't work.

On 05/08/2023 at 23:42, NiniGabriel said:

Tonight a new episode of Dance around the World with Eric Gauthier was shown on 3sat. This time it was about London.

Among other things, excerpts from a rehearsal for "Jewels - Diamonds" with Marianela Nunez as well as excerpts from a rehearsal and the performance of MacMillan's "Mayerling" were shown (if I saw that correctly, probably Ryoichi Hirano and Natalia Osipova as Rudolf and Mary, also Marianela Nunez as Mitzi). There was a brief visit to the Royal Ballet School, Ballet Rambert, Wayne McGregor Studios, Hofesh Shechter and Akram Khan.

If you want to get a taste of it and are not put off by the fact that it is a German documentary, here is the link to the 3sat media library, where you can access the program until August 4th, 2024:

https://www.3sat.de/kultur/kultur-in-3sat/dance-around-the-world-london-102.html

The show is not aimed specifically at a ballet audience, but aims to introduce the culturally interested viewer to various people from the contemporary dance scene in each location, so please don't expect in-depth discussions. I found it very entertaining nonetheless.

Eric Gauthier does shine a different perspective on dance.  

Sadly (for obvious political reasons) the one recorded in Moscow never got aired.  Such a shame for art.  

Edited by FionaE

I think this is the thread to alert readers here who may not read the Doing Dance thread that there is a Panorama TV programme/ documentary coming up on Sept 11th called “The Darker Side of Ballet Schools”

Ive tried Googling to see if any info but  couldn’t find anything looking significant other than it could be about general health (physical and mental) of dancers etc. 

But this may be worth a look ….just hoping is going to be more truthful than sensational reporting!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And speaking of the iPlayer.....

The RB Dante Project and the BRB Don Q are still available as are Ballet Black's The Waiting Game and Then or Now 

and Coppelia 

Edited by oncnp

On 01/09/2023 at 17:27, Emeralds said:

Monday 4 September, 6am. SkyArts: Rhapsody (Osipova, McRae) & The Two Pigeons (Cuthbertson, Muntagirov), Royal Ballet. For those who’d like a little Ashton magic after getting up early! 😆

The Two Pigeons, in Cinema, was the first time I had seen Fumi Kaneko. As I recall, she stood in at short notice for Laura Morera, as the Gypsy and was very good. I also confused it at the time with the Three Pigeons, which used to be a pub on the Portsmouth Road. 

• Like 1

Monday’s Panorama on BBC1 

The Dark Side Of Ballet Schools (BBC1, 8pm)

For Panorama, Mark Daly investigates claims emerging from the Royal Ballet in London and Elmhurst in Birmingham that a culture of bullying and extreme body consciousness is rife. Mental health issues and eating disorders are endemic, but is a reckoning on its way?

Edited by Rob S
  • Thanks 1

From what I can tell this programme is mainly going to be about eating disorders at the schools (RBS and Elmhurst) and how they come about ……..however this doesn’t seem to be the main concerns about the schools… it seems to me at any rate….judging by the parents discussions on this Forum in Doing Dance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

Yes - I’ve just watched it and, where the girls are concerned, it relates virtually entirely to weight issues.

However, this is not the place for discussing it.

The relevant thread in Doing Dance is now unlocked....all discussion of the programme there please.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Stevie said:

Sky Arts are showing Giselle on Tues 19th Sept at 06:00 GMT, with Natalia Osipova and Carlos Acosta

As always, they show ballet at stupid-o-clock in the morning.  Why on Earth might anyone want to watch ballet?