Dance on terrestrial TV

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

The listing on one Sky Arts Schedule says for Giselle (Quote)

" Royal Ballet production, starring Natalia Osipova and Carlos Acosta"

Natalia Osipova and Carlos Acosta star in Peter Wrights Royal Ballet Production of Marius Petipa's classic version of the ballet, Staged at the Royal Opera House.

Another listing says it is the 2016 production, but carries images of Osipova and Acosta.

It appears likely that Sky Arts don't know which version it is and care even less.

Experience suggests that that's been approximately par for the course.  They always claim it's Osipova and Acosta, but it never is.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22/09/2023 at 21:46, oncnp said:

Apologies if already mentioned

BBC 4 

24 Sept 20:00

Mozart's Requiem

Witness an epic, heart-rending journey of the soul, as Opera North, Phoenix Dance Theatre, Jazzart Dance Theatre and Cape Town Opera combine for a powerful performance.

Filmed at Leeds Grand Theatre, this unforgettable contemporary dance staging of Mozart’s great choral lament is choreographed by Dane Hurst and conducted by Garry Walker.

Featuring soloists Ellie Laugharne, Ann Taylor, Mongezi Mosoaka and Simon Shibambu alongside the Chorus and Orchestra of Opera North.

I just caught up with this and urge everyone to watch it. An amazing performance. Congratulations to Dane Hurst and all involved. It follows on nicely from the Diaghilev programme in that it works like his productions so all aspects, music, dance, voices, decor and lighting come together to make a whole that is so much more than the sum of its parts! I have posted on the Performances Seen thread too, but don't know if that is read so much.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I have posted on the Performances Seen thread too, but don't know if that is read so much.

Apologies for cross posting in this case I'm simply adding the iplayer link here as well as 'there', as yes it's something I hope all will watch and appreciate. Breathtaking.

I have longstanding fond memories of Phoenix too, early days of such excitement. I'm pleased they are still performing, after the recent hiatus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001qwpn/mozarts-requiem

I don't think there's anything on Sky arts this week, but on BBC4 we have:

Tonight (or technically tomorrow), 1.05 GMT: Brothers in Dance: Anthony and Kel Matsena (not sure who they are, I must admit)

Monday, 11 pm: Darcey Bussell: Dancing to Happiness 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/10/2023 at 22:35, Ondine said:

Thanks for that, the header doesn't do it justice does it?   And the music!!

To celebrate International Dance Day, "Nuit Romaine," directed by Angelin Preljocaj and set in the Palazzo Farnese in Rome, follows the story of the goddess of the night, Nox, who comes to the Palazzo Farnese, bringing darkness and mystery into this place of power. Mesmerizing costumes by Maria Grazia Chiuri extend the movements of the dancers, with the site’s sculptures seemingly coming to life to interpret stories of love and passion. © Produced in collaboration with the French Embassy and the Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, whose ballet director Eleonora Abbagnato is featured alongside ballet star Friedemann Vogel.

The making of 'Nuit Romain' by Preljocaj

https://youtu.be/6gDvXxav8Us?si=BAgKGTWvybaW4Wma

• Thanks 1

SkyArts Monday 27th Nov 6.15-8am Bolshoi Ballet Coppelia. No indication as to date and casting. Possibly the Margaret Shrainer/Pavel Sorokin version but difficult to tell.

SkyArts Friday 1st Dec 6-8am RB Rhapsody/Two Pigeons (again!) But I firmly believe you can't get too much of Two Pigeons, especially. I was watching it this week for the hundredth time and still loved it and still get tearful at the end. Would love to see it live again sometime soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 25/11/2023 at 22:18, jmhopton said:

SkyArts Monday 27th Nov 6.15-8am Bolshoi Ballet Coppelia. No indication as to date and casting. Possibly the Margaret Shrainer/Pavel Sorokin version but difficult to tell.

SkyArts Friday 1st Dec 6-8am RB Rhapsody/Two Pigeons (again!) But I firmly believe you can't get too much of Two Pigeons, especially. I was watching it this week for the hundredth time and still loved it and still get tearful at the end. Would love to see it live again sometime soon.

Thank you @jmhopton- very pleased to see Coppelia on Sky Arts. I managed to catch the beginning and the grand pas de deux, and it was indeed the cast of Margarita Shrayner (Swanilda), Artem Ovcharenko (Franz), Alexey Loparevich (Dr Coppelius) which was filmed in 2018 and is  available on DVD. Would be great if they could broadcast the RB and Paris Opera productions next.

I also agree you can't have too much of The Two Pigeons, especially the final pas de deux. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Christmas is over, but we continue to receive gifts from the BBC (-:

BBC Four Sunday 14th January 9.00-10.30pm Royal Ballet All Star Gala

The stars of the Royal Ballet perform a very special selection of the best of ballet.

From the ultra-contemporary Untouchable by Hofesh Schechter to the Hollywood glitz of Carousel, there is something for everyone in this glorious gala. The stellar partnership of Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov tackle one of the great classical pas de deux from Don Quixote, and the larger forces of the whole company are seen in Elite Syncopations. Natalia Osipova dances the famous Dying Swan, and choreographers including Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon and Cathy Marston rub shoulders with Frederick Ashton and Kenneth Macmillan.

BBC Four Sunday 14th January 10.30-11.30pm The Magic of Dance Episode 4

BBC Four Sunday 14th January 11.30-12.30pm The Magic of Dance Episode 5

I am really looking forward watching these gems on TV!!!

Edited by NiniGabriel
typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

The Royal Ballet All Star Gala looks like the mid-Covid gala which included Carousel - thrilled to be able to see it and to capture it on my Sky Box - I'd been hoping it would be added to ROH Stream but this will do nicely!

Edited by Blossom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blossom said:

The Royal Ballet All Star Gala looks like the mid-Covid gala which included Carousel - thrilled to be able to see it and to capture it on my Sky Box - I'd been hoping it would be added to ROH Stream but this will do nicely!

Previously on BBC Four on Boxing Day 2020, so you may have already recorded it. Yes, it includes Carousel.

2 hours ago, RMM1 said:

Previously on BBC Four on Boxing Day 2020, so you may have already recorded it. Yes, it includes Carousel.

Unfortunately new Sky box since then so I may well have but saved programmes don't carry across!

I would  love to see the latter of the Covid galas which is the one that includes Monotones2 - very difficult to find decent recordings and beautifully performed here. It also included Within the Golden Hour and the pas de deux from Concerto.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 2

So, this coming Sunday, all on  BBC4:

8 pm - Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker! (anyone know if this is a new recording, or a repeat?)

9.30 pm - 2 episodes of The Magic of Dance

12.35 am - repeat of Nutcracker!

2 am - Darcey Bussell: My Life on the BBC (I don't remember watching that one previously, but it actually looked quite good)

Then catch a few hours' shut-eye before the Bolshoi Coppelia on Sky Arts at 6.15 am!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, alison said:

8 pm - Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker! (anyone know if this is a new recording, or a repeat?)

2 am - Darcey Bussell: My Life on the BBC (I don't remember watching that one previously, but it actually looked quite good)

Then catch a few hours' shut-eye before the Bolshoi Coppelia on Sky Arts at 6.15 am!

The Darcey Bussell programme was excellent - a lot of lovely extracts of her dancing and more wide-ranging than I'd anticipated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, bridiem said:

The Darcey Bussell programme was excellent - a lot of lovely extracts of her dancing and more wide-ranging than I'd anticipated.

I finally caught up with it last night, and really enjoyed it. Just think, even as recently as the 90's there was ballet on Blue Peter for the country's youngsters, as well as on daytime TV. Plus of course, performances from ROH which seem to have dried up over the last few years, as they have gone to the cinemas or streaming instead

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Janite said:

CBeeBies has seven ballets for children on iplayer, they are performed by Northern Ballet. They also perform them at the Linbury.  
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=ballet

I have seen them all live as well as on CBeebies and they are all delightful (not that I am in any way biased!!)  Just a reminder that (now first-soloist of the RB) Isabella Gasparini stars in The Ugly Duckling. 

Thanks @Janite for the link.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, alison said:

Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker is a repeat of the Christmas Day 2022 showing on BBC Two.

• Thanks 1

On 04/01/2024 at 17:24, Odyssey said:

I would  love to see the latter of the Covid galas which is the one that includes Monotones2 - very difficult to find decent recordings and beautifully performed here. It also included Within the Golden Hour and the pas de deux from Concerto.

I've found uploads on YouTube of the men's duet (Dubreuil and Donnelly) and the second pas de deux (Kaneko and Clarke) from the Covid gala, but unfortunately nothing from Monotones II (Hamilton, Clarke, Edmonds) and Concerto pdd (Naghdi and Edmonds) which were so beautifully danced. I hope RB & Opus Arte will consider releasing the sections that didn't end up on BBC as a DVD....and only one pas de deux (the Lamb/Hirano one) from WTGH was on BBC but the rest of the ballet was stunning! Also that Le Corsaire pdd by Nunez and Muntagirov where they (unusually) end the adagio with a breathtaking lift instead of him kneeling next to her -a very difficult version but they made it look easy and so graceful. Perfect for a DVD! I would certainly buy one! 

• Like 1

Last but hopefully not least (!):

BBC Four Sunday 21st January 9.00pm Russell Maliphant's Vortex

BBC Four Sunday 21st January 10.00pm Coppelia (with Michaela DePrince and Daniel Camargo, repeat from 2022)

BBC Four Sunday 21st January 11.15pm The Magic of Dance Episode 6 😍

• Thanks 3

Just recapping this Sunday (i.e. tomorrow):

Sky Arts

6.10 am: Force of Nature Natalia (Osipova)

3.45 pm: Michael Flatley: Lord of the Dance: Dangerous Games

BBC4

9 pm: Royal Ballet All-Star Gala

10.30 pm: The Magic of Dance (2 episodes)

Royal Ballet repeats at 1.30 am 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 10/01/2024 at 19:53, Lynette H said:

ON BBC I Player, a recording of a recent production in Aviva Studios a new venue in Manchester - a dance version of the film The Matrix.  Its a huge cast. Available for a year. 

I am watching 'An Introduction to Free Your Mind:The Matrix Now', where Danny Boyle is talking about watching dance rehearsals for weeks. "It starts with continuous counting and then it's as if  'the numbers disappear into the body'. " That is such a beautiful description of dance.

• Like 2

One which seems to have slipped through the net:

Tuesday 23rd January, 6 am, Sky Arts: Giselle (for those who aren't already Giselle-d out!).  I'd guess it would be the Royal Ballet, and the Muntagirov/Nunez version, but I suppose there's always the possibility that it might be something else.

Otherwise, this coming Sunday's offerings on BBC4 are:

9 pm: Russell Maliphant's Vortex (inspired by Jackson Pollock!)

10 pm: Coppelia - the Dutch National Ballet combined animation/live "modern twist" programme shown at Christmas 2022, for those who liked it the first time around

11.15 pm: last episode of The Magic Of Dance

• Thanks 2

Skyarts Monday 29th Jan 6-8.05am Romeo and Juliet. 

A 2019 performance by the Ural Opera Ballet, choreographed by Vyacheslav Samodurov and starring Ekaterina Sapogova and Alexandr Merkushev.

SkyArts Monday 5th Feb 6-8am Merry Widow Australian Ballet

A performance of the ballet based on Franz Lehar's romantic operetta, created for the Australian Ballet in 1975 by its principal dancer and choreographer Robert Helpmann

Surely the latter information is only partially correct as the ballet was choregraphed by Ronald Hynd though Helpmann may have been instrumental in creating/staging it for Australian Ballet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ooh, I know a lot of people will be interested in the Merry Widow.  I have the video, but - you guessed it - it's in storage.  I assume this is a more recent version.

This is the photo in the TV guide (tvguide.co.uk).  The Australian Merry Widow was filmed for cinema about 5 years ago so I assume this is that version. Steven Heathcote was (I think) the original young hero, Danilo but he might have played the old romantic interest, The Baron, in this version. Having said that sometimes the pictures supplied aren't always accurate. Lost count of the amount of times I've seen a photo for Carlos/Osipova in Giselle only for it to turn out to be the Vadim/Marianela version. The more I see it the more I'd love any of the English Companies to perform it. It would be so wonderful to see it live, especially with the original sets and costumes.

010c6a96-a724-5448-9b9a-0b35bc9ef7c2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1