Dance on terrestrial TV

Probably a bit late to say that The Metamorphosis is on sometime early this morning on Sky Arts - maybe 7.20 am?

My goodness: The Royal Ballet in Cuba?  I never thought we'd see that one again!

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason my ballet search in the online TV guide didn't throw up:-

SkyArts Tuesday 15th April Rhapsody/Two Pigeons 7-9am. A repeat of the McRae/Osipova Rhapsody and the Vadim/Cuthbertson Two Pigeons. A fabulous double bill and great to have a foretaste of Rhapsody before seeing the Real Thing on stage (though not with James Hay, alas) Would be wonderful if the new season would include 2 Pigeons as well, hint, hint!

• Like 3

Guest oncnp
On 29/03/2022 at 15:50, jmhopton said:

SkyArts

Monday 4th April Rumpelstiltskin Ballet Lorent 7.30-9am

Saturday 9th April. Royal Ballet in Cuba 6.50-8.30am

BBC4

Sunday 10th April Yuli: the Carlos Acosta story. 10.30pm-12.15am

and also BBC 4 Sun 10 Apr at 2100 - Alvin Ailey: A Legend of American Dance 

• 2 weeks later...

The Ailey programme was the film that came out at the beginning of this year.

I've just caught up with The Royal Ballet in Cuba for the first time in a very long while: great to see it again, and all the (incredibly young-looking!) dancers, including some now much missed.  Ironic, in the current times, to hear of dancers being put into quarantine because of H1N1 :(

• Like 1

Amazing dance binge the other night with the Alvin Ailey programme filled by film ‘Yuli’

Educated me on a man/company/style is heard of but never really explored/seen & likewise, I didn’t really know much about Carlos Accosta & feel quite humbled by his story. (I’d wrongly sssumed he was a typical hot housed dancer through private training then competition launched into a career). The way the film was intercut with dance almost as  ‘therapy’ , with Accosta playing out relationships through physicalisation I found very powerful & moving. 

I still have so much to learn of the dance world both retrospectively & current day. 

18 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Amazing dance binge the other night with the Alvin Ailey programme filled by film ‘Yuli’

Educated me on a man/company/style is heard of but never really explored/seen & likewise, I didn’t really know much about Carlos Accosta & feel quite humbled by his story. (I’d wrongly sssumed he was a typical hot housed dancer through private training then competition launched into a career). The way the film was intercut with dance almost as  ‘therapy’ , with Accosta playing out relationships through physicalisation I found very powerful & moving. 

I still have so much to learn of the dance world both retrospectively & current day. 

Did the Ailey documentary have adverts in the most inappropriate places?  A recent performance on Sky Arts even had an ad break in the middle of Revelations!!

The Ailey *documentary* was on BBC4, thankfully.  I haven't dared look at my most recent Sky Arts recording of the Ailey mixed bill yet.  I hoped they'd taken note of the rude email I sent them after the initial broadcast, but don't know whether they will have done.

• Like 1

The Ailey documentary is very well worth watching on I-Player. It's a bit long in places but the archive material is all fascinating, often moving, and there are excerpts from his masterpiece, Revelations, throughout; surely one of the greatest dance pieces of the last century.

And for this Seymour fan there are 2 very brief shots of her dancing parts of Flowers in 1971, the piece he created on her (one hour in, exactly, for anyone who's interested).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Not got Sky sadly....but thanks! 

Sky Arts (only) is on Freeview, channel 11 - a lot of the programmes mentioned on this thread are on that channel, so really worth looking out for. (I don't have Sky either so none of the other Sky channels!).

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

Sky Arts (only) is on Freeview, channel 11 - a lot of the programmes mentioned on this thread are on that channel, so really worth looking out for. (I don't have Sky either so none of the other Sky channels!).

I've got a "Now" stick which converts my TV to a smart TV for catchup.  If you pay for the entertainment pass you get access to a number of Sky channels (not films).  Believe me when I say that you are not missing anything!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bridiem said:

Thanks for that but….Sadly not in my postcode…. ‘Not all channels are available where you live’ is the freeview message. Not ANY of the channels any of my family are interested in it seems….sigh 

19 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Thanks for that but….Sadly not in my postcode…. ‘Not all channels are available where you live’ is the freeview message. Not ANY of the channels any of my family are interested in it seems….sigh 

Oh dear! How frustrating for you.

Talking Pictures

Sunday 17th April 10.40 Tales of Beatrix Potter

BBC4

Sunday 24th April 8pm Royal Ballet Swan Lake Liam Scarlett production introduced by Darcey and Ore. Nunez/Muntagirov.

SkyArts

Tuesday 26th April 6am Royal Ballet Giselle. Says it's Osipova/Acosta but might be Nunez/Muntagirov. I think SkyArts has rights to both but the photo is always Acosta/Osipova but the recording isn't always.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nunez/Muntagirov, I'll bet.

Good to hear about the Swan Lake: I never expected to see it again, and my recording failed the first time around.

Thanks for pointing out the Beatrix Potter - I'd meant to highlight it, but forgot.

And BBC Young Dancer starts on ... Sunday, I think?

Like LynetteH the guide on my television screen says 1 of 3, but looking in this weeks TV magazine it agrees with you Alison and states 1 of 7!!! Maybe other forum members can be more helpful than me!! 

On 14/04/2022 at 17:46, jmhopton said:

Tuesday 26th April 6am Royal Ballet Giselle. Says it's Osipova/Acosta but might be Nunez/Muntagirov. I think SkyArts has rights to both but the photo is always Acosta/Osipova but the recording isn't always.

Did anyone actually bother to watch/record this to find out which cast it was?  I'm afraid I forgot, but I'm assuming N/M, yet again.

Another chance to see The Royal Ballet in Cuba on Sky Arts Mon 9th May at 0725hrs

Also

La Bayadere (Muntagirov/Nunez/Osipova) on Sky Arts Friday 6th May 0640hrs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for posting the links, which are always helpful.

BBC Young Dancer was a huge disappointment. I had previously watched it every year, and while I thought it was unfair and rather ignorant to make dancers of classical ballet, contemporary dance, traditional Indian dance etc compete against each other - you don’t see BBC Young Musician having musicians from jazz, pop, folk and classical competing against each other and in fact in 2014 an entire new competition was created just for jazz - at least they got a chance to perform on tv to get performing experience, show potential impresarios and dance company bosses what they can do, and to kickstart their careers.

Now this show has been changed into...some odd mishmash of a reality show. It’s like a mixture of Project Runway and SkyArts Landscape Artist of the Year but with dance, and not done half as satisfactorily as those two other talent shows. The dancers are still very good, but I don’t see the point of making them attempt to dance in a genre in which they have had no training, and I spent too much time trying to search for actual stage  performances among all the backstory filming. A performer’s life story should not be relevant to the marks they receive. 

Also, if the judges are going to mask up for filming, either do it properly, or don’t do it all if they are confident that they have followed vaccination protocols and health advice correctly, but don’t have masks hanging on the chin or under the nose. They’re being filmed for national tv, not popping down to the pub with friends.

Top marks to all the dancers for their talent and hard work, but a big F for fail to the programme makers for wasting our licence fee funds and the dancers’ time. 

On the plus side, the Royal Ballet’s beautifully staged, performed and filmed broadcast of Scarlett’s production of Swan Lake is, thankfully, still on iplayer for another 18 days. Luxury casting of not just Nuñez and Muntagirov as Odette/Odile and Siegfried, Campbell as Benno, and Hayward and Takada as Siegfried’s sisters, but also having Ball, Kaneko, Sambé, Heap, Hay etc in the Act 1 Waltz! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 11