Dance on terrestrial TV

22 hours ago, alison said:

Well spotted, thanks, oncnp.

That led me to have a closer look at the schedules:

All Sky Arts:

Monday 29th November

7.20 am: LSO: Romeo & Juliet, which I assume is the Prokofiev score, although I haven't checked

9 pm: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (includes Chroma, and of course Revelations)

3.10 am (so Tuesday): Natalia Osipova: The Mother

The Ailey is presumably repeated at 7 am on Thursday 2nd December

And if you'd like a little more Wheeldon it appears that Marquee TV has "Winter's Tale" available for free, possibly because the version (Cuthbertson/Hirano/Ball/Lamb/Muntagirov (sub for McRae?)) never made it to DVD. 

Edited by oncnp

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27/11/2021 at 15:39, oncnp said:

Christopher Wheeldon's "An American in Paris: The Musical" with Robert Fairchild & Leanne Cope

BBC 4 tomorrow (28 Nov) 20:00

My recorder cut off the beginning :(  Does anyone know if it's going to be repeated?

On 27/11/2021 at 23:05, alison said:

9 pm: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (includes Chroma, and of course Revelations)

HUGELY disappointed at this showing: not for the dancing (of course), but for whoever decided it was appropriate to insert advert breaks in the middle of some of the pieces, including a couple in Revelations, which is pretty close to sacrilege :(

Hoping the early-morning repeat will be a bit better in that respect.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, alison said:

HUGELY disappointed at this showing: not for the dancing (of course), but for whoever decided it was appropriate to insert advert breaks in the middle of some of the pieces, including a couple in Revelations, which is pretty close to sacrilege :(

seconded.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alison said:

I haven't watched it yet, but that sounds very disappointing. A sternly worded 'letter' of complaint is warranted, I reckon

• Like 2

An American in Paris was simply dreamy and S’Wonderful. Those who didn’t see it or missed some of it, do watch it on BBC iplayer online. Delightful being able to see Leanne Cope, Max Westwell (from ENB & BRB) and James Barton (from BRB) in their West End musical theatre roles again, as well as Robert Fairchild as Jerry. The choreography and sets look great on tv too! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, oncnp said:

BBC 4 Boxing Day 1930

Dancing the Nutcracker: Inside the Royal Ballet (2016 I think)

That's good news - I had it saved on my old Sky box for years and unfortunately I lost the recording when I changed to SkyQ because my old box went kaput

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Not ballet, but certainly a show with a lot of dancing:  The recent West End production of ANYTHING GOES - seen at the Barbican - will be broadcast this Xmas on the BBC.  

It was fabulous - really excited to hear it will be on!

Barbican in the West End though? Found it strange that they claimed this when publicising the show.

On 27/11/2021 at 15:39, oncnp said:

Christopher Wheeldon's "An American in Paris: The Musical" with Robert Fairchild & Leanne Cope

BBC 4 tomorrow (28 Nov) 20:00

It appears there's going to be a short season of these musicals on BBC4 on Sunday evenings.

On 30/11/2021 at 23:04, alison said:

It wasn't :(  Advert breaks in the middle of every piece apart from the short solo :(

SkyArts are showing ENB in Paris Thurs 16th Dec 6am. A repeat doc of ENBs staging of their Corsaire in Paris.

Just edited this to add this is my 1000th Forum  post. A milestone indeed! The little logos telling us how we fit into the scheme of things seem to have vanished so I'll never know what I've moved onto from 'mentor'. Geriatric probably!

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

Just edited this to add this is my 1000th Forum  post. A milestone indeed! The little logos telling us how we fit into the scheme of things seem to have vanished so I'll never know what I've moved onto from 'mentor'. Geriatric probably!

here's to the next 1000! 🙂

I think those logos/badges might have been more effective had we reset everyone to a count of zero posts. But then, I'm not sure how popular that would have been...

• Like 2

Not tv, but not sure where else to put this. There's a 45 minute programme available on BBC sounds. It's a Music Matters programme from yesterday about the new Spielberg film production of West Side Story and it includes contributions from Spielberg, Sondheim, and the choreographer Justin Peck. An entertaining listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00126td

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ha ha jmhopton your post made me laugh 

I wish we could have a laughing emoji to click on for peoples posts. 
I was on the tube for the first time in over two years on Saturday and as soon as I got on the very crowded tube ( there was a big event on at Kew Gardens apparently) some young man offered me his seat ...I’m always surprised when this happens but forget to him I obviously appeared a geriatric lol!! 

• Like 5

On 06/12/2021 at 19:54, LinMM said:

I wish we could have a laughing emoji to click on for peoples posts.

There is one available, but my concern would be that some folk would think they are being laughed AT, rather than with.

You can always insert your own.... 😆 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reminder (though its been available for a year) The Royal Ballet All-Star Gala is coming off BBC4 Sun 26 Dec at 8:30pm

Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes is available until Sat 25 Dec at 7:40pm

Edited by oncnp

Tales of Beatrix Potter

Wed 29 Dec  2:05pm-3:50pm (London Live) Freeview:8. Sky:117. Virgin:159. BT:8

or

Talking Pictures TV  Freeview:81  Sky:328. Virgin:445.  BT:81  Freesat:306  Tue 4 Jan 1:50pm-3:40pm

The Royal Ballet performs Frederick Ashton's family ballet, bringing to life Beatrix Potter's famous images and children's stories. Created for a film in 1971 featuring music arranged by John Lanchbery from popular Victorian and Edwardian melodies, the production brings to the Covent Garden stage such colourful figures as Jemima Puddleduck, Jeremy Fisher, Mrs Tiggywinkle, Mr Fox and the irrepressible Peter Rabbit