Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/02/2022 at 16:33, nzballetfan said:

Ia Bayadere is on Sky Arts on Feb 16 at 640am. So Nuñez, Muntagirov and Osipova then, although the listing says 1997?

They have the rights to air the 2009 recording with Rojo, Acosta and Nunez (as Gamzattti) repeatedly; I’m not sure if it covers the 2018 recording with Nunez (as Nikiya ), Muntagirov and Osipova. 1997 would be the Bussell/Durante/Mukhamedov era ....I’m not sure Sky Arts has a Royal Ballet Bayadere recording dating that far back?? 

Might just programme it to record for the curiosity’s sake.

• Thanks 1

BBC1 Monday 21st Feb 10.35-11.55. Imagine with Alan Yentob, featuring Wayne Macgregor

Resident Choreographer at The Royal Ballet and director of his own dance company, Wayne McGregor's dance achievements know no bounds both at home and internationally. Alan Yentob joins Wayne over a busy few months, from his role as director at the Venice Dance Biennale, creating a new production with his own company of dancers, to the rehearsals and opening of The Dante Project, a new ballet at the Royal Opera House in London

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BBC 4 - Sun 20 Feb 2022

20:00 Dance Passion Highlights including - An extract from Birmingham Royal Ballet’s brand new production Don Quixote, filmed at the Warwick Arts Centre in Coventry. and Ballet Black’s stunning Washa from Sadler’s Wells in London.

21:00 Firestarter: The Story of Bangarra - Documentary that recounts how three young brothers turned an Indigenous Australian dance group into a First Nations cultural powerhouse.

and for something completely different....

23:00  For Folk’s Sake: Morris Dancing and Me - What can save the male Morris dancer from extinction? Richard Macer (Men at the Barre) infiltrates the endangered world of bells, beer and beards to discover an unlikely saviour in the form of women.

Edited by oncnp

On 10/02/2022 at 10:38, nzballetfan said:

Always worth recording just in case. If you have Sky on Demand, they have Nuñez (N), Muntagirov and Osipova (G) available to view on there (listed perplexingly as "La Bayadere ep. 1" starring Carlos Acosta!).

It was the Nunez/Muntagirov/Osipova version.

On 11/02/2022 at 23:07, oncnp said:

BBC 4 - Sun 20 Feb 2022

20:00 Dance Passion Highlights including - An extract from Birmingham Royal Ballet’s brand new production Don Quixote, filmed at the Warwick Arts Centre in Coventry. and Ballet Black’s stunning Washa from Sadler’s Wells in London.

21:00 Firestarter: The Story of Bangarra - Documentary that recounts how three young brothers turned an Indigenous Australian dance group into a First Nations cultural powerhouse.

and for something completely different....

23:00  For Folk’s Sake: Morris Dancing and Me - What can save the male Morris dancer from extinction? Richard Macer (Men at the Barre) infiltrates the endangered world of bells, beer and beards to discover an unlikely saviour in the form of women.

And also 22:00  Dance: BBC Introducing Arts (repeated the next "day", at midnight 30)

Dance Passion (1st episode of 5) is repeated at 3 am.

Plus the Wayne McGregor Imagine on BBC1, 22:35 on Monday.

And Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Sky Arts, Wednesday 6:45 am.

(Sorry if all this lot has been posted previously, but I wasn't sure)

• Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 08:15, JohnS said:

I assume that means we have another month to see this as the BBC4 screening must be coming to the end of its iPlayer availability.

Do you mea the Dante Project? It's still got 21 days of availability

The documentary on the Bangarra Dance Company was fascinating and emotional.  

Wonderful dancers, and very personal life stories of the main protagonists.  Important national context too.  Highly recommend.  You may cry.  I did.  

On iplayer now.  
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0014rg7

I haven’t found a link (yet) to watch internationally.   Look out for it when it does come your way. 

Info here …
https://www.bangarra.com.au/productions/firestarter/

Trailer … 

Edited by FionaE
Typos

(Thank you for letting me reregister after I mislaid my earlier login.)

Delighted that the Alice shown earlier this morning was with the utterly engaging Sarah Lamb and the fabulous, fabulous Zenaida Yanowsky. My daughter is going to be thrilled to have this on the TiVo box, easy to put on at any time.🙂

I would love for them to have a Nureyev week and show the old full ballets of Swan Lake with Margot, Giselle with Lynn Seymour, Romeo and Juliet with Fracci, but I don't know enough about copyrights and permissions to know if it's even worth emailing SkyArts about.

Edited by nzballetfan2
Wrong word
  • Like 1

On 21/02/2022 at 18:10, alison said:

I often wonder when McGregor ever doesn't have a "busy few months"!  Talking of which, he was on BBC Radio 3's In Tune this evening - somewhere around 30 minutes in, I'd guess, although I missed the start of it.

And I actually saw trailers for this programme several times yesterday.  It's amazing what happens when you put dance on BBC1, isn't it?

I didn't see this, I was out, but I was a bit irritated by the write up about it on the TV Tonight page of the Metro.  

"In his role as resident choreographer for the Royal Ballet, the inventive Wayne McGregor has dragged ballet kicking and screaming into the 21st century - and that's not always been to the delight of the die-hard traditionalists...."

Does ballet really need to be "dragged" anywhere?  Of course we need new choreographers, but the implication that those of us who prefer traditional classical ballet are a bunch of outdated old fuddy duddies really annoys me. 

• Like 17

I've just posted a screenful-and-a-half of classical music, largely on Sky Arts, on the "Music" forum.  For ballet (and dance), we get just the one:

Wednesday 2nd March, 7.15 am: Bolshoi Ballet in Coppelia.  I'm assuming that will remain as scheduled.

Last night’s BRB Don Quixote (Hirata/Dingman/Lawrence/Kurihara) was being filmed for future broadcast. I chatted to one of the cameramen who, it turns out, regularly films these kind of productions (ROH, NT etc). He couldn’t confirm where or when it might appear. It could be streamed directly by BRB or broadcast by SkyArts or the BBC.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, prs59 said:

Last night’s BRB Don Quixote (Hirata/Dingman/Lawrence/Kurihara) was being filmed for future broadcast. I chatted to one of the cameramen who, it turns out, regularly films these kind of productions (ROH, NT etc). He couldn’t confirm where or when it might appear. It could be streamed directly by BRB or broadcast by SkyArts or the BBC.

WOW!!!  Thank you for this lovely news.  

1 hour ago, prs59 said:

I heard a whisper about this earlier in the week and am thrilled by the news.

It’s high time that BRB was put ‘out there’ and this production of Don Q is ideal for a TV showing. Super cast as well.

• Like 6

Next week's Sky Arts dance-related programmes seem to be:

Monday 7th March, 6 am: Northern Ballet's Casanova

Tuesday 8th March, 6 am: Arts Uncovered: Candoco Dance Company (warning: it's only 10 minutes or so long)

• Like 1

SkyArts Monday 14th March 6.15 - 8am Australian Ballet Merry Widow. I assume it's the newer version filmed a few years ago and shown at the cinema with Steven Heathcote as the older gentleman. I actually prefer the earlier version where he plays the romantic lead but this is still worth seeing.

Also on SkyArts Australian Ballet's Sleeping Beauty Monday 21st March 6-8.15am

• Like 2

Also, BBC4, Sunday 13th March:

8 pm: Steps of Freedom: The Story of Irish Dance

Sky Arts, Thursday 17th March:

6 am: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre (presumably a repeat of the recent "new" programme?)

7.45: Hollywood: Singing and Dancing

• Like 1

I'm a bit of useless when it comes to more than the good old 5 channels of TV....though do have an Amazon firestick (which gets the hubbie & son more sport options (typical!) & have seen I can see some streaming/iplayer/utube etc via this. We don't have Sky....is Sky Arts only available  if you have access to Sky?

Yes, but Peanut won't have seen any of them yet.  Give her a while before she gets bored with them.  (I hope you like getting up early, Peanut, or have a recorder).  And there are considerably more than 5 channels in the UK these days, even on Freeview :) 

• Like 1

Ha ha! Random thing is we still seem unable to get channels I see everywhere else…. I’m keen to find arts/culture…. The Hubbie wants to be able to get Dave to watch things like fishing programmes he found when in a holiday let! We supposedly have freeview but when doing internet research it states for our postcode ‘’not all channels available in your area’ ….Sigh 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

Monday 21st March:

6 am: Australian Ballet: Sleeping Beauty

10.15 pm: Discovering Dance on Film

2.40 am (the next morning): Natalia Osipova: The Mother

4.00 am: Why Do We Dance?

Tuesday 22nd March:

7.30 am: Discovering Dance on Film

All Sky Arts.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...