Dance on terrestrial TV

On 03/07/2021 at 22:44, jmhopton said:

SkyArts are showing the Australian Merry Widow (again!) Wed 7th July 7.15am-9am

Also Royal Ballet Sleeping Beauty with Nunez/Muntagirov Sat 10 Jul 6-8.30am. This will nicely whet my appetite for seeing them do the last act on stage at the ROH the next day.

Sorry, I was getting mixed up with the livestream casting. We'll  be seeing them doing SB in that and Winter Dreams pas de deux on Sunday.  Still wonderful!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SkyArts are showing RB Nutcracker (no indication of cast or date) on Sunday 18 July 6.30am-8.30am.

They're also showing Northern Ballet Casanova Mon 26 July 10.15pm to 12.10am. (Note the adult times!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've just noticed that Sky Arts showed Spartacus early this morning. Given the unearthly time (6.20) I assume it was ballet. Did anyone see it? And if so, who was dancing? Presumably they'll show it again, whatever it was, so we can then look out for it. That's assuming the listing is correct. The awards programme was scheduled to be shown yesterday, 9-11 am, but instead it was yet more Tales of the Unexpected.

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

I've just noticed that Sky Arts showed Spartacus early this morning. Given the unearthly time (6.20) I assume it was ballet. Did anyone see it? And if so, who was dancing? Presumably they'll show it again, whatever it was, so we can then look out for it. That's assuming the listing is correct. The awards programme was scheduled to be shown yesterday, 9-11 am, but instead it was yet more Tales of the Unexpected.

Yes - and I recorded them!!!

Yes, I noticed, too.  Drat, I'd thought it was tomorrow.  My guess would be that it was the Australian Ballet version - perhaps Bluebird or someone could confirm?

Incidentally, at 9 pm this evening, Why do we dance? presented by Akram Khan, followed by Northern Ballet's Casanova, which has already been mentioned.

On 15/07/2021 at 14:16, jmhopton said:

SkyArts are showing RB Nutcracker (no indication of cast or date) on Sunday 18 July 6.30am-8.30am.

They're also showing Northern Ballet Casanova Mon 26 July 10.15pm to 12.10am. (Note the adult times!)

Yet it's also being repeated tomorrow at the "usual" time - 7 am.

SkyArts are also showing the RB 2013 Alice in Wonderland Mon 2nd Aug at 10.15pm-12.25am.

Channel4 is also showing a fascinating sounding documentary on Tues 3rd Aug at 11.05pm, entitled The Boy who can't stop dancing. It is about teenager  Tom Oakley who is obsessed with dancing and who applies to the Rambert Dance School, despite suffering from cystic fibrosis. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

SkyArts are also showing the RB 2013 Alice in Wonderland Mon 2nd Aug at 10.15pm-12.25am.

Channel4 is also showing a fascinating sounding documentary on Tues 3rd Aug at 11.05pm, entitled The Boy who can't stop dancing. It is about teenager  Tom Oakley who is obsessed with dancing and who applies to the Rambert Dance School, despite suffering from cystic fibrosis. 

Thanks Joan, we've linked a couple of articles about Tom Oakley recently so I must look out for this one.

On 02/08/2021 at 08:55, Jan McNulty said:

Terrific, inspirational doc about the young Liverpudlian, Tom Oakley who's ambition is to join the Ballet Rambert despite living with the time and physically limiting disease of cystic fibrosis. He comes across as a great character and his family are so loving and supportive in doing everything they can to help him achieve his dream. You see him moving furniture around their small terrace house to create space to practice during lockdown and how his initial audition videos to Rambert had to be filmed at home. Made me think of other RB Liverpudlians such as Matthew Ball and Kristen McNally, though of course they didn't have Tom's health problems or the problems of trying to audition during a pandemic. if you missed it, well worth seeing it on catch up.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-boy-who-cant-stop-dancing/on-demand/72250-001

• Like 3

SkyArts are showing a doc. about ENBs first visit to Paris, performing Le Corsaire. Broadcast Mon 16th August at the civilized time of 9-10.15pm (perhaps it's dawning on them that an Arts channel needs to be showing some Arts programmes at a time when people actually want to watch them). Then repeated next day at the more usual 7.45-9am. Pity they're not showing Corsaire itself but perhaps they will eventually.

CBeebies are also showing Northern Ballet's Puss-in-Boots Tuesday 17th August 12-12.45pm.

SkyArts are also showing an Ashton triple Thursday 19th August 6.55am-9.05am (reverting to type with the timing, alas.)

it includes Midsummer Nights Dream, Marguerite and Armand and an 'Ashton masterpiece', which I'm assuming is Symphonic Variations as it sounds like Zenaida Yanovsky's farewell performance in Marguerite and Armand.

• Like 5

SkyArts keep showing a series called The Agony and the Ecstasy (eg midnight this coming Tuesday). Is this the ENB series showing the problems facing Daria and a very young Vadim, inter alia ? I've never checked as I've got it recorded but others might want to watch it, if it is.

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

SkyArts keep showing a series called The Agony and the Ecstasy (eg midnight this coming Tuesday). Is this the ENB series showing the problems facing Daria and a very young Vadim, inter alia ? I've never checked as I've got it recorded but others might want to watch it, if it is.

Not according to the Radio Times....

On 07/08/2021 at 19:25, SheilaC said:

I wish it was this one!  Hoping still available to watch on YT

Edited by Blossom

On 07/08/2021 at 12:19, jmhopton said:

SkyArts are showing a doc. about ENBs first visit to Paris, performing Le Corsaire. Broadcast Mon 16th August at the civilized time of 9-10.15pm (perhaps it's dawning on them that an Arts channel needs to be showing some Arts programmes at a time when people actually want to watch them). Then repeated next day at the more usual 7.45-9am. Pity they're not showing Corsaire itself but perhaps they will eventually.

I am assuming this is the same documentary available on ENB On Demand which includes Alina Cojocaru rehearsing Le Corsaire on stage, interviews with Tamara Rojo, etc?  

https://ondemand.ballet.org.uk/production/enb-in-paris/

£4.99 for 3 days access

54 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I am assuming this is the same documentary available on ENB On Demand which includes Alina Cojocaru rehearsing Le Corsaire on stage, interviews with Tamara Rojo, etc?  

https://ondemand.ballet.org.uk/production/enb-in-paris/

£4.99 for 3 days access

Yes, the actual Corsaire performance starring Alina Cojacaru as Medora and Vadim Muntagirov as Conrad is also available (£7.99)  and their great La Sylphide starring Hernandez (£6.99). I thought from the initial publicity that all were available for a one-off £4.99 but they appear to be priced separately.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, alison said:

Has Sky Arts gone quiet over the past week or so?  I haven't spotted anything dance-related recently.

Probably already mentioned but tomorrow at 6:00 AM

Royal Ballet: MacMillan - Anastasia

Arts

Summary

A Royal Opera House production of Kenneth MacMillan's ballet set against the backdrop of the Russian Revolution, with Natalia Osipova in the title role.

Edited by oncnp

• 2 weeks later...

More repeats on SkyArts

Wed 22 Sept 7.15am Australian Ballet Merry Widow 

Sun 26 Sept 6.30am RB Nutcracker (don't know cast or date filmed)

Mon 27 Sept 6am Force of nature: Natalia Osipova

Thurs 30 Sept 7am Australian Ballet Cinderella

• Like 1