Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

REPEAT Australian Ballet: Cinderella

Sky Arts HD.     Sky:820.    Virgin:156.    BT:363.    Tue 15 Dec. 7:00am-9:00am 

A production of Prokofiev's classic work based on the fairy tale, choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky

We now have an initial airing date for the highly-anticipated PBS (US television) “American Masters: Twyla Tharp” documentary-film: 26 March 2021 at 9:00PM est...which I’ve added to our Community Calendar. Hopefully it might also eventually stream worldwide, as do many PBS shows.

https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/pbs-programming-guide-winter-2021-january-march/

(scroll way down for Twyla...2/3 of the way)

• 2 weeks later...

Checking out the ballet on the online tv guide Janite very helpfully sent me and I came across Ballet Shoes: The ballet. It is on Dec 29th 7.15am-9am on London Live.  Not living in London I've never heard of this channel and I don't know if this is a channel other areas can get with smart tvs or not. it is an adaptation of the classic Noel Streatfield story by London Children's Ballet. it says it's Freeview Channel 8, Sky 117, Virgin 159 and BT 8 so maybe possibilities for other areas..

• Like 1

Ah, you've just reminded me: I was going to say that if anyone spots anything in the regional variations (London Live in my case - it has been known to do ballet and dance in the past) please post.  My copy of the Radio Times for some reason has the coverage for Wales in it - I think the same as last year!

18 hours ago, alison said:

What???  Oops.  Hope you were able to get a replacement :(

Sadly, no.  My subscription has been extended by one week, apparently.  I was given a link to a web page for listings but I was unsuccessful in getting at it.  I didn't want to buy another copy while shopping in case the whole print run was similarly affected, so I made do with the Sunday paper listings (only to find that SkyArts listings only started at 12 midday each day so any forthcoming ballet didn't feature).  

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

SkyArts and SkyArts HD is showing Australian Ballet's Coppelia. No details of date filmed.

It was filmed in December 2016. 

Edited to add that it does star Ako Kondo and Andrew Killian but that Killian is Dr Coppélius. Chengwu Guo is Franz.

Edited by Bluebird

7 hours ago, alison said:

And it was on only a month or so ago ...

In fact several ballets have been repeated on SkyArts within a short space of time.  Sadly this doesn't include the RB Rhapsody and Two Pigeons programme which got lost on the day of the move to terrestrial when chaos reigned supreme and no-one could get at any of the programmes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnneMarriott said:

In fact several ballets have been repeated on SkyArts within a short space of time.  Sadly this doesn't include the RB Rhapsody and Two Pigeons programme which got lost on the day of the move to terrestrial when chaos reigned supreme and no-one could get at any of the programmes.

This was one I hadn't seen before and I am hoping it's screened soon and we all get to watch it.

• Like 1

Just in case anyone is interested Antiques Roadshow at White Lodge.

Yesterday Freeview:26. Sky:155. Virgin:129. BT:25. Freesat:159

Wed 27 Jan.      12:00pm-1:00pm 

The Royal Ballet School, Richmond - Fiona Bruce and the experts head to Richmond Park in west London, where members of the public gather at White Lodge, home of the Royal Ballet School, to find out the worth of various antiques and collectibles. Objects include porcelain figures made by prima ballerina Anna Pavlova, a longbow reputed to have been used in the Second World War and a revealing sketch of Dylan Thomas's wife Caitlin

• Like 1

BBC1 Tuesday 9th Feb 10.45-11.45 Alan Yentob. Imagine. 

Alan Yentob explores the pandemic's ongoing impact on performing arts in the UK. Featuring footage shot throughout 2020 documenting the ways people and organisations have strived to keep the industry alive, from ballet and opera to comedy clubs and live music venues. The film explores innovative new approaches to performance, from drive-in opera to world premiere dance pieces, as well as examining how the wider political backdrop of current events has shaped contemporary art. With contributions from Carlos Acosta, Tamara Rojo, James Graham, Matthew Warchus, Roderick Williams and Vanessa Redgrave

Also a reminder Australian Ballet Coppelia tomorrow SkyArts 7am -9  (Sorry, having copied and pasted the info I can't get out of this black background. Perhaps a mod. could alter it if needed.)

Also the Nureyev film The White Crow is on BBC iplayer in case anyone missed it.

• Like 4

On 27/01/2021 at 20:46, jmhopton said:

(Sorry, having copied and pasted the info I can't get out of this black background. Perhaps a mod. could alter it if needed.)

I have found that when you post and it looks like this there is a button at the bottom that says something like 'post as plain text'. That put it into normal font.

• Like 1

I seem to recall the BBC including Yuri (Carlos Acosta biog) in their planned dance season last summer, but  I never saw it advertised in the schedule. Does anyone know if it has been screened? I saw it at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

22 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I seem to recall the BBC including Yuri (Carlos Acosta biog) in their planned dance season last summer, but  I never saw it advertised in the schedule. Does anyone know if it has been screened? I saw it at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

No it wasn't screened. The press release for the dance season was just before Covid measures started in the UK. Lots of TV schedules were changed with many new things held back to cover gaps at a later date, so maybe we will get it soon.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

It's not the biographical film but when I was searching for Dancing Nation on the iPlayer yesterday I came across an hour long programme with Carlos Acosta.  It looks newly made but I haven't watched it yet.  I certainly haven't seen mention of it anywhere.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Janite said:

I have found that when you post and it looks like this there is a button at the bottom that says something like 'post as plain text'. That put it into normal font.

Thanks Janite. I'll look out for this next time. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Janite said:

(Sorry, having copied and pasted the info I can't get out of this black background. Perhaps a mod. could alter it if needed.)

FAO: jmhopton - Hi Joan, If you ever want to get rid of formatting here .... copy the text you are struggling with over in Word - select it all - and then hit Control + Space Bar.  That will take out the troublesome formatting.  Then all you need do is copy it over into the BcoF box and it will look perfect.  It will also keep any links you may have in-bedded in the original text.  Hope that helps.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

On 29/01/2021 at 23:10, Bruce Wall said:

FAO: jmhopton - Hi Joan, If you ever want to get rid of formatting here .... copy the text you are struggling with over in Word - select it all - and then hit Control + Space Bar.  That will take out the troublesome formatting.  Then all you need do is copy it over into the BcoF box and it will look perfect.  It will also keep any links you may have in-bedded in the original text.  Hope that helps.  

Thanks Bruce 

Between you and Janite I've no excuse for not getting it right in the future (apart from my gift for immediately forgetting really useful information which seems to be accentuated at the moment). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

(apart from my gift for immediately forgetting really useful information which seems to be accentuated at the moment). 

increased forgetfulness seems to be a by product of lockdown!

• Like 2