Dance on terrestrial TV

11 hours ago, Janite said:

increased forgetfulness seems to be a by product of lockdown!

10 hours ago, alison said:

As does increased tiredness/sleepiness, as far as I can see (4 people having mentioned it to me just today!).  One friend suggested we were all going into hibernation.

Yes, I'm suffering from both.  In a weird way these posts have reassured me that I am not alone!

• Like 3

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Yes, I'm suffering from both.  In a weird way these posts have reassured me that I am not alone!

You and me both, Janet! This is my second attempt at a reply. First time I quoted Janet twice. It's a bit early in the day for even me to start losing the plot!

• Like 4

It's a little way off, but I've forgotten to highlight when it has been on before.

Wednesday 24th Feb 12:15 Harmony Lane - Talking Pictures TV (Freeview 81) - Svetlana Beriosova and David Paltenghi dancing a bit of Swan Lake

• Like 2

Darcey Bussell’s Wild Coasts of Scotland starts on Monday Feb 8 at 9pm on More4....there will be dancing. Not to be confused with Adrian Dunbar's Coastal Ireland on Channel 5 which starts on Thursday

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Janite said:

@trogyour profile picture reminds me, happily, of my Grandmother saying "Life ruled by the telephone".

It is an adaption of the definition from Ambrose Bierce's "The Devils Dictionary".

Telephone: An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

BRB appears in the Imagine programme on BBC1 tomorrow evening.

It will be at 10.45pm and Carlos Acosta will be interviewed, hope there will be dance too.

Edited by Janite

2 hours ago, alison said:

Goodness, I have that on VHS somewhere - how old is this one?!

My DVD is of a 1993 performance, released in 1996. An oldie goldie! I’m hoping that David Hallberg’s new position as AD may spur more international interest in the troupe, with more DVD releases on an international scale.

3 hours ago, Jeannette said:

My DVD is of a 1993 performance, released in 1996. An oldie goldie! I’m hoping that David Hallberg’s new position as AD may spur more international interest in the troupe, with more DVD releases on an international scale.

There was another cast filmed only a year or two ago and shown at the cinema. Steven Heathcote played the older man, whereas he was the young Count in the earlier version. Don't know which version Sky are showing. Of the two I think I actually prefer the earlier version but they're both good. Loved seeing Marianela as the Widow, streamed from Argentina last year during lockdown. 

Sun 21 Feb is looking like Dame  Margot Fonteyn night on BBC 4

21:00 - Darcey Bussell: Looking for Margot: Darcey Bussell uncovers the life of Margot Fonteyn, revealing how she got drawn into a failed foreign revolution, danced on for far too long and died alone and in poverty.

22:00 - Margot: Drama based on events in the life of Margot Fonteyn. Fonteyn (Anne-Marie Duff) faces a crisis in her marriage and retirement as a prima ballerina, but then Rudolf Nureyev arrives.

23:25 - Marguerite and Armand: Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev star in a performance of Sir Frederick Ashton's ballet Marguerite and Armand, which was inspired by Dumas's love story La Dame aux Camelias.

On 13/02/2021 at 23:17, oncnp said:

21:00 - Darcey Bussell: Looking for Margot: Darcey Bussell uncovers the life of Margot Fonteyn, revealing how she got drawn into a failed foreign revolution, danced on for far too long and died alone and in poverty.

22:00 - Margot: Drama based on events in the life of Margot Fonteyn. Fonteyn (Anne-Marie Duff) faces a crisis in her marriage and retirement as a prima ballerina, but then Rudolf Nureyev arrives.

23:25 - Marguerite and Armand: Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev star in a performance of Sir Frederick Ashton's ballet Marguerite and Armand, which was inspired by Dumas's love story La Dame aux Camelias.

Just giving this a boost as it's on tonight. Hopefully some if not all programmes will be available on iplayer for a month for UK residents. Haven't seen anything on ROH website/social media about the anniversary but haven't looked that closely.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Just giving this a boost as it's on tonight. Hopefully some if not all programmes will be available on iplayer for a month for UK residents. Haven't seen anything on ROH website/social media about the anniversary but haven't looked that closely.

All available for 29 days on iPlayer.  I haven't seen any acknowledgment from ROH but perhaps they prefer birthdays? 

Talking Pictures TV = Freeview 81 | Freesat 306 | Virgin 445 | Sky 328

• Wed 24 Feb 21 -    12:15 -    Harmony Lane - A Musical featurette starring Max Bygraves, The Beverly Sisters and Dora Bryan. Also Svetlana Beriosova and David Paltenghi dancing a bit of Swan Lake.
  • Fri 26 Feb 21 -    21:00 -    Nijinsky - Alan Bates, George de la Pea & Ronald Pickup. Based on Vaslav Nijinsky diaries this film follows his later life and career.

50 minutes ago, Shade said:

Did anyone watch Margot? It was from 2009 but I didn’t recall it at all. I would ha e thought it quite a daunting role to play.

I've just finished watching it (for the first time). Yes, it must have been a very daunting role to play! I thought Anne-Marie Duff did as well as possible considering that she's not a dancer. I found it very odd though because I'm so familiar with Fonteyn and Nureyev et al that it felt a bit as if I was watching people acting members of my family! So I didn't for a minute believe that I was actually watching them. (Though Derek Jacobi was surprisingly convincing as Ashton.) But although I took it all with a very large pinch of salt, in the end I thought it did give at least some sort of idea of her life and of what happened, with a fair bit of artistic licence, and it did make a real attempt at balletic authenticity. So it could have been worse. (If that sounds like damning with faint praise, it probably is!). What it couldn't and didn't capture was what made Fonteyn so unique and so special; but it did convey something of the uniqueness and drama of her life.

• Like 3

On 14/02/2021 at 10:17, oncnp said:

This was very interesting.

But regarding her resting place, I note that she is now interred in a crypt with Tito  in Panama City.

I say 'now' because originally her ashes were buried again with Tito in a modest plot 'at the wire-fenced, tin-shacked edge of the Jardin de Paz on the outskirts of Panama City' according to Meredith Daneman's biography.

So, sometime between the publication of this book and Darcey's documentary, their remains were moved. 

Does anyone know the story of how this happpened and who was behind it?

On 26/02/2021 at 01:33, alison said:

It's been Nunez/Muntagirov every time I've recorded it, but who knows?  Last time it was claimed it was O/A it turned out to be N/M.

Surprise, surprise: Nunez/Muntagirov as expected - again.  Just goes to show that you can never believe Sky Arts' listings.  I looked at the recording of Alice which was on at Christmas the other day: it was allegedly the 2017 version, so should have had James Hay as White Rabbit, I think?  It was missing the first few minutes, but I immediately went "That's not James Hay!"  Haven't fast-forwarded to the end to see which of the other broadcast versions it was.

I haven't been following the Royal Opera's output on Sky Arts very much, but I definitely don't get the feeling that there's the amount of repetition in that that there is for the Royal Ballet's.  Not sure why this would be - they have had approximately equal numbers of cinema relays, I would guess.

Guest oncnp
2 hours ago, alison said:

Surprise, surprise: Nunez/Muntagirov as expected - again.  Just goes to show that you can never believe Sky Arts' listings.  I looked at the recording of Alice which was on at Christmas the other day: it was allegedly the 2017 version, so should have had James Hay as White Rabbit, I think?  It was missing the first few minutes, but I immediately went "That's not James Hay!"  Haven't fast-forwarded to the end to see which of the other broadcast versions it was.

I haven't been following the Royal Opera's output on Sky Arts very much, but I definitely don't get the feeling that there's the amount of repetition in that that there is for the Royal Ballet's.  Not sure why this would be - they have had approximately equal numbers of cinema relays, I would guess.

Perhaps they are saving all those un-DVDed cinema broadcasts for the proposed ROH streaming channel mentioned in the long survey ROH sent a couple days ago?