Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see that ever changing :(  Most people do seem to have some means of recording things these days, though (someone basically asked me the other day what on earth I still needed a recorder for, because I could watch everything on catchup. That's fine, as long as the channel in question provides some sort of catchup service, which Sky Arts doesn't, as far as I can see - it's only the "big" channels")

• Like 2

On 13/02/2021 at 23:17, oncnp said:

Sun 21 Feb is looking like Dame  Margot Fonteyn night on BBC 4

21:00 - Darcey Bussell: Looking for Margot: Darcey Bussell uncovers the life of Margot Fonteyn, revealing how she got drawn into a failed foreign revolution, danced on for far too long and died alone and in poverty.

22:00 - Margot: Drama based on events in the life of Margot Fonteyn. Fonteyn (Anne-Marie Duff) faces a crisis in her marriage and retirement as a prima ballerina, but then Rudolf Nureyev arrives.

23:25 - Marguerite and Armand: Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev star in a performance of Sir Frederick Ashton's ballet Marguerite and Armand, which was inspired by Dumas's love story La Dame aux Camelias.

All 3 available for 12 more days only

2 hours ago, alison said:

I can't see that ever changing :(  Most people do seem to have some means of recording things these days, though (someone basically asked me the other day what on earth I still needed a recorder for, because I could watch everything on catchup. That's fine, as long as the channel in question provides some sort of catchup service, which Sky Arts doesn't, as far as I can see - it's only the "big" channels")

And not all channels make programmes available for over a month...I've got programmes on my recorder that are 9 years old!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alison said:

Yes - I actually record every programme that I'm going to want to watch, even if occasionally I do end up watching something 'live'; not everything is on catchup, and even if it was it would be difficult to keep track of things or to watch them before they disappear. 

• Like 1

I've just spotted that the RB's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with Sarah Lamb and Edward Watson is on Sky Arts 20th March at 0615. 🙂 I really hope the cast info is accurate for this one and it's not actually the ones of Lauren Cuthbertson or Lauren Cuthbertson available on DVD

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

Well, the version they showed at Christmas was the Lamb/Bonelli/Watson one, so you may well be in luck.  Just as long as Sky Arts/my recorder doesn't decide to go "off with her head!" again to the beginning of the programme ...

18 hours ago, jmhopton said:

SkyArts are also showing Northern Ballet's Casanova at 6.30am Sun 28th March.

Also Billy Elliott at 9pm on the same day.

Look forward to seeing Casanova, something different, the 28th March is the day the clocks change at 2am, so will have to be careful with my timer!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if I've missed this elsewhere but I just came across this in a column about BBC4:

"There will still be new series — including a behind-the-scenes look at the Royal Ballet School in Richmond..."

(From behind the paywall at https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dont-let-bbc4-become-yet-another-dusty-attic-full-of-old-shows-dnkztd9ff)

Is this news?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Apologies if I've missed this elsewhere but I just came across this in a column about BBC4:

"There will still be new series — including a behind-the-scenes look at the Royal Ballet School in Richmond..."

(From behind the paywall at https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dont-let-bbc4-become-yet-another-dusty-attic-full-of-old-shows-dnkztd9ff)

Is this news?

Yes, I was so disappointed when I first read BBC4 wasn't going to be commissioning new work but were just relying on repeats. It's one of only 3 channels I hope might show something worth watching when I plough through the Radio Times (the other two being BBC2 and SkyArts). It wouldn't be so bad if I thought it was going to delve far back in it's archive and show early ballets and documentaries such as Fonteyn's Magic of Dance, from the 1950s and 60s when ballet and culture didn't seem to be endangered species for cultural minorities. However, I suspect it will just be rehashing stuff from the last 10 years or so. But this programme  about White Lodge sounds promising.

CBeebies are showing Northern Ballet's Little Red Riding Hood on Monday 5th April at 12.10pm.

Also SkyArts are showing Australian Ballet's Merry Widow (again!) at 6am Monday 12th April. Apparently created by Robert Helpmann! At least the initials are correct! I assume it's the recently filmed version as the other one was.

Interesting to note that Sky Arts appears to be managing to show the National Theatre's Romeo & Juliet at least 3 times this week (I gave up checking to see whether there were any more), yet never manages to repeat its dance performances - at least, not until the next time it puts them on at 7 am ...

• Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 23:05, alison said:

Interesting to note that Sky Arts appears to be managing to show the National Theatre's Romeo & Juliet at least 3 times this week (I gave up checking to see whether there were any more), yet never manages to repeat its dance performances - at least, not until the next time it puts them on at 7 am ...

The National Theatre has sent an email to its Friends about this. This is a premiere which has been specially filmed during lockdown, with the assistance of Sky Arts. I assume that's why it is getting these three showings

14 hours ago, MargaretN7 said:

The National Theatre has sent an email to its Friends about this. This is a premiere which has been specially filmed during lockdown, with the assistance of Sky Arts. I assume that's why it is getting these three showings

they probably paid a wad of cash for it too - so 'getting their money's worth' by multiple showings

5 minutes ago, Sim said:

Yet again they consign ballet to a ridiculous time.  

makes no odds to me the broadcast time, as I record everying to watch later anyway (live sport excluded), and in fact weird times work better as they clash less! 🙂

• Like 3

Guest oncnp

Sat 10 April 23:45  BBC4

The Rite of Spring

Michael Berkeley introduces an in-depth exploration of Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, including a full performance of the work that caused a riot at its premiere in 1913.

One of the seminal works of the 20th century, Igor Stravinsky's masterpiece caused a riot at its first performance.

Michael Berkeley reveals the piece's dramatic origins, conductor Leonard Slatkin and the BBC Symphony Orchestra join Richard Alston Dance Company to explore its musical roots, and the film ends with a full performance, complete with choreographed sections.

I've checked my video of this. The programme was shown 19 years ago. As ONCNP says, the 'full' performance only contains sections of dance. Earlier the documentary shows Richard Alston choreographing them. The main dancers are Pari Naderi as the Chosen One and Martin Lawrence as the Sage (unusually the sacrificial dance is not a solo but the Sage is a partner.) Stephanie Jordan provides some interesting information on the original score which undermines some of Stravinsky's claims about Nijinsky's choreography. I think the film was made before the (somewhat controversial) reconstruction of the original choreography.

And on the very same video I have copies of Firebird and Les Noces, shown by the BBC in 2000, I think. How times have changed!

• Like 6

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I hope it is the Osipova/Hallberg show and not the previous one with Sergei Polunin.

All the description says is  "gives a contemporary dance performance at Sadler's Wells Theatre in London. "

Edited by oncnp

• 2 weeks later...

I do wish they would repeat come of their older performances.  I have a copy of the Paris Opera Ballet performing Le Palais Cristal, designs by Lacroix from about 10 years ago.  Mathieu Ganio shone in the first movement.

I am lucky that I still have it on my Sky Q box but there were other works from the POB, especially those with Nicolas Le Riche which I would love to see again.

• Like 1