Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, alison said:

I mean, surely a recent broadcast wouldn't be in 4:3 and with very etiolated dancers?

I don't know, but the BBC seems to transmit everything in 16:9, so if you watch, for instance Dads Army, the actors are all short and fat. (OK so some of them were short and fat, but that isn't the point.) Taking Pictures TV, my channel of choice, get it right, altering the ratio to how the film or TV series was made. Surely it isn't that difficult to get it right. Added bonus! Talking Pictures don't squeeze or talk over the credits. Added, added bonus! Their station ident graphic is very unobtrusive.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, trog said:

I don't know, but the BBC seems to transmit everything in 16:9, so if you watch, for instance Dads Army, the actors are all short and fat. (OK so some of them were short and fat, but that isn't the point.) Taking Pictures TV, my channel of choice, get it right, altering the ratio to how the film or TV series was made. Surely it isn't that difficult to get it right. Added bonus! Talking Pictures don't squeeze or talk over the credits. Added, added bonus! Their station ident graphic is very unobtrusive.

Weird, in my experience BBC channels know how to broadcast 4:3 content, it’s channels like Drama, Yesterday and other channels that rely on it led BBC content that don’t and leave it to the viewer to adjust their TV’s aspect ratio 

• Like 1

Sky Arts:

Thursday 12th November, 3 pm: South Bank Show Originals - Akram Khan (2002).  Not sure why these are 30-minute broadcasts - surely the SBS used to be an hour?

Repeated at 5.10 am the next morning.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

Sky Arts:

Thursday 12th November, 3 pm: South Bank Show Originals - Akram Khan (2002).  Not sure why these are 30-minute broadcasts - surely the SBS used to be an hour?

Repeated at 5.10 am the next morning.

Thanks Alison - I'd missed this. It seems these programmes are Melvyn Bragg looking back at the originals rather than a straight repeat of them.

• Like 1

Just in case there is someone in ROI, sadly can only be watched in Ireland.
Herstory: Ireland's Epic Women.  Ninette de Valois A profile of Co Wicklow-born ballet dancer, teacher and choreographer Ninette de Valois, who was artistic director and founder of the Royal Ballet School.

RTÉ One HD,    Thu 26 Nov,   4:25am-4:50am

1 hour ago, alison said:

On BBC4 this evening, at 11.50, Artificial Things by Stopgap Dance Company, a company of which I'm afraid I know nothing whatsoever :(

Stopgap Dance Company create exhilarating dance productions for national and international touring. We employ disabled and non-disabled artists who find innovative ways to collaborate.

Stopgap value a pioneering spirit and are committed to making discoveries about integrating disabled and non-disabled people through dance.

https://www.stopgapdance.com/about

Edited by alison
To reduce font size

Royal Ballet: Ashton Triple Bill

Sky Arts HD.  Sky:820 Virgin:156 BT:363. Wed 2 Dec. 7:00am-9:00am

Three productions, including an adaption of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, an Ashton masterpiece (Symphonic Variations) and a performance of Marguerite and Armand.

This is a repeat and if you haven't seen it I think it is a real treat. Dream and Symphonic Variations are wonderful, I have never been that much of a fan of M and A but it is Zanaida Yanowsky's farewell.

Edited by Janite
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Janite said:

Three productions, including an adaption of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, an Ashton masterpiece (Symphonic Variations) and a performance of Marguerite and Armand.

Correction: TWO Ashton masterpieces :)

I was literally just wondering whether to put this on my Christmas/birthday list, so I guess now I can audition it, rather better than in my local cinema at the time, where we had the worst pixellated RB experience I've ever had :(

And don't forget the RB Giselle on at or around sunrise tomorrow morning.  The TV Guide says it's Osipova/Acosta, but then it said that last time, and it turned out to be Nunez/Muntagirov, so we'll see what we will see.  Hopefully it will come out in the right aspect ratio this time!

12 hours ago, alison said:

Correction: TWO Ashton masterpieces :)

I was literally just wondering whether to put this on my Christmas/birthday list, so I guess now I can audition it, rather better than in my local cinema at the time, where we had the worst pixellated RB experience I've ever had :(

That sounds like a frustrating evening, I am glad you are getting another opportunity albeit on a smaller screen. 

I clearly need to check the blurb before I post it!

Two frustrating evenings, actually, because I went back for the Encore showing as the cinema had given us free tickets, and the experience was much the same!

As I suspected, Carlos Acosta has grown taller and leaner, and Natalia Osipova's hair is now a mid-brown :)  At least my recorder seems to have captured Giselle properly this time!

Why?  They did announce it would ultimately be on TV, didn't they, like they did with the reopening ones?  I thought the paid-for version was for those people who couldn't wait.  Anyway, there's no guarantee it will be the whole thing - the reopening ones were cut down.

• Like 2

Could have sworn someone had said the forthcoming Ashton bill this Wednesday was only The Dream and Symphonic Variations, but it is all three (might be a bit tight on the timing?):

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/m-detail/3249523/37696109/royal-ballet-ashton-triple-bill

Thought I might as well give everyone a reminder, as a lot of people won't want to miss this one.

• Like 1

Royal Ballet Gala

BBC 4

Christmas Day 7:40 - 9:10 GMT

The stars of the Royal Ballet perform a very special selection of the best of ballet.

From the ultra-contemporary Untouchable by Hofesh Schechter to the Hollywood glitz of Carousel, there’s something for everyone in this glorious gala. The stellar partnership of Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov tackle one of the great classical pas de deux from Don Quixote, and the larger forces of the whole company are seen in Elite Syncopations. Natalia Osipova dances the famous Dying Swan, and choreographers including Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon and Cathy Marston rub shoulders with Frederick Ashton and Kenneth Macmillan.

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Royal Ballet Gala

BBC 4

Christmas Day 7:40 - 9:10 GMT

The stars of the Royal Ballet perform a very special selection of the best of ballet.

From the ultra-contemporary Untouchable by Hofesh Schechter to the Hollywood glitz of Carousel, there’s something for everyone in this glorious gala. The stellar partnership of Marianela Nuñez and Vadim Muntagirov tackle one of the great classical pas de deux from Don Quixote, and the larger forces of the whole company are seen in Elite Syncopations. Natalia Osipova dances the famous Dying Swan, and choreographers including Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon and Cathy Marston rub shoulders with Frederick Ashton and Kenneth Macmillan.

WRONG!!! (sorry - that was the Opera Gala on Christmas Day)

Boxing Day

7:00 GMT