Dance on terrestrial TV

14 hours ago, Janite said:

LEONARD BERNSTEIN: LARGER THAN LIFE

07:00 am - 08:00 am | Wednesday 14th October

Sky Arts

I don't know how much of this is about ballet.

Documentary exploring the work of Leonard Bernstein, from his TV series Young People's Concerts and his Mahler cycle to West Side Story and his Chichester Psalms.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Do you remember the days when the ROH website used to notify us of TV broadcasts of the companies' productions?  Or was that perhaps only for new ones?

Think it was just new ones, broadcast for the first time.

Think Friday's Nutcracker with Lauren Cuthbertson, if you can go by the photo on the listing

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this makes up for it Alison

Dracula by Northern Ballet

BBC Four

Freeview:9.  Sky:116.   BT:9.    Freesat:173

Sun 1 Nov.     11:55pm-1:40am

Bram Stoker's gothic romance is brought to life on stage in this ballet, performed by the dancers of Northern Ballet to music by Schnittke, Rachmaninov, Pärt and Daugherty. Choreographed by David Nixon OBE and recorded at Leeds Playhouse on Halloween 2019

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alison said:

Thanks, Janite.  Has that one been on already, or was it announced for earlier in the year but then not shown? 

I don't know if it was shown or not but it was down to be on the BBC earlier this year. 

2 minutes ago, Janite said:

I don't know if it was shown or not but it was down to be on the BBC earlier this year. 

It's been on the iPlayer forever.....at least 3 or 4 months

22 minutes ago, Janite said:

I missed that! 

Not easy to find - buried at the bottom of the "Arts" category list. You couldn't find it unless you already knew it was there or had a lot of time to look

Edited by oncnp

Northern Ballet have recently advertised that it was still available via the iPlayer on their social media channels and that it is being re-shown on BBC4 (it was shown earlier in the year).

I've realised that some items on the iPlayer are available for a lot longer than others but is it worth the effort to search them out?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've realised that some items on the iPlayer are available for a lot longer than others but is it worth the effort to search them out?

Depends on how much you want to see them, I guess.

If you just want to see what's available, type "ballet" into the search field on the iPlayer main page.  Dracula is the first thing that comes up, along with some other interesting dance broadcasts.  

Edited by oncnp

46 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Not easy to find - buried at the bottom of the "Arts" category list. You couldn't find it unless you already knew it was there or had a lot of time to look

You are kind to put it like that. 

1 minute ago, Janite said:

You are kind to put it like that. 

Not really - the only reason I know Dracula is there is because I have time to look and keep telling myself I'm going to watch it.  You,  on the other hand, probably have a life. 😀

38 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Not really - the only reason I know Dracula is there is because I have time to look and keep telling myself I'm going to watch it.  You,  on the other hand, probably have a life. 😀

I life that includes a lot of ballet! And I thought you did write it on a kind way, which I appreciated. 

55 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Can you watch the IPlayer?  I thought it was geo-blocked.  It's good if you can.

On 24/10/2020 at 10:38, alison said:

We missed this one:

Tuesday 27th, 7 am, Sky Arts: Mata Hari, so that's presumably Dutch National Ballet.

@Don Q Fan @Terpsichore

Wednesday 28th, 6 am: Discovering Dance on Film

Thank you for this Alison - but what awful times!  Really annoys me as Sky Arts repeat allsorts of "Discovering  actor xyz" over lunch yet show ballet at silly o'clock in the mornings!!!  Anyway Dutch National Ballet's Mata Hari is great and if it is the same video as the company streamed earlier this year it is beautifully filmed in fact it is possibly one the best filmed ballets I have ever seen.  Anna Tsygankova was right when she said it was beautifully filmed in a promo video for the stream.

• Like 1

In addition to Northern Ballet's Dracula, which is being shown on BBC4 around midnight on Sunday 1st November (so technically just into Monday), we also have on Sky Arts

Tuesday 3rd November, 7 am: Giselle (Royal Ballet, with Osipova and Acosta)

(It looks as though the ballet "slot" may have moved from Fridays to Tuesdays)

Thursday 5th November, 6 am: Force of Nature Natalia (Osipova, in case anyone doesn't know!)

• Like 2

Just noticed a couple more ballet/ballet related programmes.

5 Select Freeview Friday 6th Nov. 1020am and  11.25 am A Nutcracker Christmas (short film)

Jaded former ballerina Lily is forced to come to terms with the life - and love - she left behind when her niece Sadie, herself a ballet prodigy, is asked to take the starring role in The Philadelphia Ballet's production of Tchaikovsky's festive favourite The Nutcracker. However, the production is being directed by none other than Lily's old flame Mark. Festive romantic drama, starring Amy Acker, Sascha Radetsky and Sophia Lucia

SkyArts Tuesday 10 Nov. 7am-9am Moulin Rouges ballet.

Production of the ballet based on Baz Luhrmann's 2001 musical romantic drama, choreographed by Jorden Morris

I've seen it before and quite liked it though I know it's not to everyone's taste.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2020 at 11:07, alison said:

Tuesday 3rd November, 7 am: Giselle (Royal Ballet, with Osipova and Acosta)

Just thought I'd bump this in case anyone else who is still awake has forgotten to set their recorder ...