Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one on MHK   MIYAKO, The Last Dance

January 18, 2020  1:10 - 2:00 / 7:10 - 8:00 / 13:10 - 14:00 / 19:10 - 20:00 

Miyako Yoshida's precise and delicate performances earned critical acclaim at the Royal Ballet of England. She remained true to her Japanese sensibilities in becoming the company's first Asian female principal dancer. A year before her retirement, however, she faced injury, emergency hospitalization and separation from a loved one. The program follows Yoshida for 300 days, culminating in her memorable final appearance.

Sky:507      Virgin:625 (XL subscription)   Freesat 209

this is the link for the app   https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/app/   (I haven't tried the app so I don't know how well it works.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2020 at 19:58, Janite said:

Another one on MHK   MIYAKO, The Last Dance

January 18, 2020  1:10 - 2:00 / 7:10 - 8:00 / 13:10 - 14:00 / 19:10 - 20:00 

Miyako Yoshida's precise and delicate performances earned critical acclaim at the Royal Ballet of England. She remained true to her Japanese sensibilities in becoming the company's first Asian female principal dancer. A year before her retirement, however, she faced injury, emergency hospitalization and separation from a loved one. The program follows Yoshida for 300 days, culminating in her memorable final appearance.

Sky:507      Virgin:625 (XL subscription)   Freesat 209

this is the link for the app   https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/app/   (I haven't tried the app so I don't know how well it works.)

Many thanks for the heads up on this one.  I really enjoyed it, with the usual caveat that Miyako seemed to leap from the Royal Ballet School direct to Principal level at the Royal Ballet aged 29.  Regrettably her years with SWRB/BRB were completely unmentioned.

I thought, despite that absence, it spoke volumes that she chose as her very last professional performance to dance The Mirror Walkers, choreographed by Sir Peter Wright.  Given that the other two works, Cinderella and Birthday Offering, are both by Ashton I loved her all over again.

I heard from an excellent source that the first new production  she is mounting as Director at New National Ballet Tokyo is to be Sir Peter Wright's Swan Lake.  The mutal affection and respect runs very deep there.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

Many thanks for the heads up on this one.  

It is a pleasure and I am so glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy being able to share the experience. 

As I am new to ballet I had not come across Mikayo before and I found her dancing entrancing. 

I imagine this is one I will keep and watch again. 

Edited by Janite
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

Many thanks for the heads up on this one.  I really enjoyed it, with the usual caveat that Miyako seemed to leap from the Royal Ballet School direct to Principal level at the Royal Ballet aged 29.  Regrettably her years with SWRB/BRB were completely unmentioned.

I think that was what Kevin was talking about at the beginning  - her time at BRB

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

REPEAT

Darcey Bussell: Looking for Margot    Monday 9th March on BBC Four from 1:15am to 2:15am

Documentary in which Darcey Bussell uncovers the life of Margot Fonteyn, who inspired generations of ballerinas and who, with her late flowering partnership with a much younger Rudolf Nureyev, created the most dazzling ballet partnership in history. Yet behind the scenes, Darcey discovers that Margot's life was marked by tragedy and disappointment. She barely knew her father and was dominated by her well-meaning, fiercely ambitious mother. When Margot finally married, she did so to a man she had loved from afar for many years, who turned out to be very different from her expectations. Darcey speaks to many people who have not spoken about Margot before and travels from London to New York and Panama to reveal how Margot lost out in love, got drawn into a failed foreign revolution, danced on for far too long and died alone and in poverty, miles from home. 

Edited by Janite

Don't know if this is worth watching but I thought I would put it up in case anyone is interested.

Great British Railway Journeys

BBC Two HD 

Thu 12 Mar 6:30pm-7:00pm (30 minutes)

Piccadilly Circus to Gravesend. Michael Portillo journeys from Piccadilly Circus to Gravesend, visiting an exotic West End store that was popular among Victorian women and hearing how a Russian ballet company took London by storm in 1909. He also discovers the origins of netball and gymslips at North Kent College and meets the pilots of the Port of London Authority, founded in the early 20th century.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janite said:

Don't know if this is worth watching but I thought I would put it up in case anyone is interested.

Great British Railway Journeys

BBC Two HD 

Thu 12 Mar 6:30pm-7:00pm (30 minutes)

Piccadilly Circus to Gravesend. Michael Portillo journeys from Piccadilly Circus to Gravesend, visiting an exotic West End store that was popular among Victorian women and hearing how a Russian ballet company took London by storm in 1909. He also discovers the origins of netball and gymslips at North Kent College and meets the pilots of the Port of London Authority, founded in the early 20th century.

I think it's a repeat but Michael Portillo's railway journey programmes (more of travelogues really) are well worth watching.

• Like 1

REPEAT 

Giselle: Belle of the Ballet - BBC 4  

Mon 16 Mar - 12:15am-1:15am

(Freeview:106 Virgin:107 BT:106 Freesat:107)

Dancer and artistic director Tamara Rojo explores the ballet about a peasant girl who is seduced and betrayed by an aristocrat, which has been a defining role for many acclaimed ballerinas. She examines the ballet's origins in 1840s Paris and spiritual themes, and goes behind the scenes on two very different contemporary productions - a traditional restaging and a modern reinvention

Edited by Janite

10 minutes ago, Janite said:

The Royal Ballet: Mayerling

BBC Four

Freeview:9 Sky:116 BT:9 Freesat:173

Sun 15 Mar
9:00pm-11:15pm (2 hours 15 minutes)

ooh I wonder if it’s the Ed Watson or Steven McRae version 

Interesting.  I never saw this on stage with McRae. When was it recorded and how was it?

Much as I admire his technical skill and his on-stage ebullience (he was sensational in the Rubies section of Jewels) I can't imagine him as the diseased and despairing Crown Prince.  And I was always thought Sarah Lamb was a natural for Larisch.  I shall look forward to seeing this if only to be proved wrong.

Linda

Edited by loveclassics
typo

It feels a bit like Busses, none and then 3 come along at once.

Mayerling  is followed by Darcy's Ballet Heroes and then Ballet's Dark Knight about Kenneth Macmillian.

Darcey's Ballet Heroes BBC Four HD (Freeview:106 Virgin:107 BT:106 Freesat:107) Sun 15 Mar 11:15pm-12:15am 

Ballet's Dark Knight - Sir Kenneth MacMillan BBC Four Mon 16 Mar 12:15am-1:15am 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alison said:

There was something on, I think, this Sunday night (or early Monday morning), which simply shows as "Darcey Bussell" in my TV mag.  Can anyone shed any light?

It's 'Looking for Margot' again (1.15am Monday).

On 05/03/2020 at 20:11, Janite said:

REPEAT 

Giselle: Belle of the Ballet - BBC 4  

Mon 16 Mar - 12:15am-1:15am

Dancer and artistic director Tamara Rojo explores the ballet about a peasant girl who is seduced and betrayed by an aristocrat, which has been a defining role for many acclaimed ballerinas. She examines the ballet's origins in 1840s Paris and spiritual themes, and goes behind the scenes on two very different contemporary productions - a traditional restaging and a modern reinvention

This seems to have disappeared from the schedule, but I have found it on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeMEy0I4RM8&list=WL&index=63&t=14s

I'd been about to post and say surely Sunday's offerings can't be a one-off, but then Pulcinella posted this, which explains a lot:

12 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

BBC Arts announces line-up for 2020 dance season

BBC Arts has announced their 2020 Dance Season, which will include live performances filmed at Sadler’s Wells and the Royal Opera House as well as newly commissioned content exploring dance and the UK’s leading dancers and choreographers.

The season will include:

Revisor – Johnathon Young and Crystal Pite’s newest collaboration, hot on the heels of their Olivier Award-winning production, Betroffenheit. This unique interpretation of the Russian comic play The Inspector General is a fascinating hybrid of theatre and dance.

Danceworks – a series of films produced in a collaboration between the BBC and Sadler’s Wells, featuring aclaimed choreographers Sharon Eyal and María Pagés, Strictly stars Gorka Marquez and Karen Hauer and company Ballet Black, who performed during Stormzy’s Glastonbury set.

Yuli: The Carlos Acosta Story –  based on Carlos Acosta’s life; from growing up on the streets of Cuba through Cuba’s National Dance School all the way to performing at London’t Royal Ballet.

Men In Dance – a new film celebrating today’s male Royal Ballet dancers, with exclusive behind-the-scenes peek at the talented cohort.

Devil In The Feet – the story of Irish Dance and how it’s gone from a traditional folk dance to a global phenomenon.

imagine…Kate Prince: Every Move She Makes – follows the creator of Message In A Bottle as she embarks on her newest West End production. Alan Yentob will explore the impact of her work and her politics on the emerging generation of new young dancers.

BBC Introducing Arts: Dance – a series of dance films made by first-time and emerging film-makers.

https://officiallondontheatre.com/news/london-theatre-news-today-thursday-12-march/

There's now a thread for general discussion here:

Fortuitously timed, I think, if we have to lose our live dance performances.

• Like 1