Dance on terrestrial TV

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Why do Sky Arts assume that everyone who likes ballet is awake and able to spend two hours watching ballet at the crack of dawn?

they probably assume nobody watches 'live' TV anymore, and records everything

In my case, they'd be right too!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

they probably assume nobody watches 'live' TV anymore, and records everything

In my case, they'd be right too!

But there are still Luddites like me who  don’t know how to record!  🤦🏻‍♀️😂

Me too Sim if it involves a dvd recorder. Luckily with the Sky box all you have to do is press a button that says record. Even I can do that!

However, some people just  like to switch on the TV in an evening without thinking about recording.  It seems SkyArts doesn't rate their Arts audience as sufficiently important or numerous enough to merit scheduling most ballet or opera at a time when people actually want to watch it. It's often popular music programmes in the prime evening slot. Given that the age group for ballet and opera is (I suspect) somewhat older and may be more likely to watch TV in the evening, perhaps they should experiment with scheduling some evening opera and ballet. They may be pleasantly surprised,  especially if they do it the same evening every week which I think they did at one time when it was Artsworld.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sim said:

But there are still Luddites like me who  don’t know how to record!  🤦🏻‍♀️😂

A hard disk PVR is ideal for this. With mine, you call up the program guide, goto what you want to record and press OK. That's it! It wakes up and records your program.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, trog said:

A hard disk PVR is ideal for this. With mine, you call up the program guide, goto what you want to record and press OK. That's it! It wakes up and records your program.

That's what I have - the trouble is, it's so easy that I end up recording hundreds of programmes! Then every now and then I delete lots of them because I realise I'm not actually going to watch them...

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, bridiem said:

That's what I have - the trouble is, it's so easy that I end up recording hundreds of programmes! Then every now and then I delete lots of them because I realise I'm not actually going to watch them...

I'm glad it is not just me who does this.

• Like 5

On 27/09/2021 at 20:24, jmhopton said:

SkyArts are showing a Bolshoi Ballet Coppelia Sat 2nd Oct 1-3 pm (a civilised time!) No casting details but I suspect it might be the more recent cinema broadcast with Shrainer and Ovcharenko (?)

Indeed it was.  Just a shame about the weather conditions at the time - my recording came out quite pixellated in parts :( Never mind, perhaps they'll repeat it at some stage.

Really pleased to see Sky Arts showing  performances at better times in the day, but I’m wondering if there will be  some more recent  broadcasts from Royal Ballet.  Sky used to show the screenings less than a year later which was brilliant.  

• Like 2

I wouldn't even mind some earlier ones, too, for a bit of variety, and a change in casts.  We seem to have a large batch from about 5 years ago, whereas we know that multiple Sleeping Beauties, Giselles and Nutcrackers have been available.  It may be that they're only allowed to show one of each.

On 04/10/2021 at 19:35, Rob S said:

Sky Arts 9th October 14-1630 La Bayadere with Rojo, Costa and Nunez

I'm told it was actually Nunez, Osipova and Muntagirov.  I guess that's yet another lesson never to believe what Sky Arts claim about casting.

• Like 1

Okay, since nobody else has posted it first, from my (very limited) listings mag:

Saturday 16th:

Sky Arts 6 am: La Bayadère (I'm guessing the RB version we saw the other day, so Muntagirov et al? - claims to be the Acosta cast on the EPG, so will almost certainly be the Muntagirov one :) )

Sunday 17th:

BBC4 10 pm: (as already mentioned) Romeo and Juliet Without Words

(Repeated in the early hours of Friday 22nd, 2 am)

Monday 18th:

Sky Arts 7.30 am: Rumpelstiltskin (I'm guessing children's ballet by either Northern Ballet or Ballet Lorent or someone?)

Tuesday 19th:

Sky Arts 6 am: Australian Ballet in I know not what - apparently The Merry Widow

(for those who got into Frida Kahlo after ENB's ballet, there's also a programme about her at 9 pm)

Wednesday 20th:

Sky Arts 6 am: Giselle (am guessing the RB version - yes, but cast not specified)

(I got so into the swing of daily showings that I was trying to persuade myself that Barry Manilow: Live on Thursday was a ballet too :) )

Friday 22nd:

Sky Arts 6 am: Australian Ballet in Coppelia (really nice production!)

and at midnight: Why Do We Dance?, which I think was the Akram Khan thing.

Whew!

Edited by alison
Updated
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday 28th Oct Channel 4 12.10 am 45 minutes (repeated 1 hour later on +1) Ballet Black: Eightfold. 

Conceptual dance film performed by the award-winning company Ballet Black, created by the group's artistic director Cassa Pancho and film director Mark Donne, and accompanied by an observational script read by Thandiwe Newton

• Like 1

Just checking the SkyArts listing as I thought I'd seen a mention for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and I was right; it's on tomorrow at 6.15am until 8.30am. It says it's the 2013 Lamb/Bonelli/Watson version.

However, before it, just a short programme 6.00-6.15am, apparently part 3 of a 6 part series called Arts Uncovered. This episode 'Follows the stage managers at the ROH as they prepare for a new show at Covent Garden' (no indication whether the show is opera or ballet). I'm trying to think if I remember this series first time around. It says it's part of a ROH season so I'm not sure if the whole series is about the ROH or just this episode. Will have to set it to record the series and see what happens. Unfortunately the Radio Times only gives minimal information for SkyArts so it only says Arts Uncovered with no indication as to what the programme is about which is why I missed it when I went through it.

Nov 7th 6.25-8.30am is another repeat of the Ashton triple with Midsummer Nights Dream and Yanovsky's final performance of Marguerite and Armand. Much as I enjoy Alice and of course the Ashton triple I wish SkyArts could screen more recent arts performances. There was one year that they screened the cinema series the year it was filmed but those days are long gone. Surely there are ballets/opera filmed abroad that we never get to see that could be acquired if there is a problem with UK performances.

Edited by jmhopton
amending programme timing
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, alison said:

Iirc it was opera.

Thought it might be! Still interesting though. Searched for it in Tvguide.co.uk and apparently programme 5 in the series is about a Bristol Old Vic production of Madame Butterfly so not all about the ROH.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch out for new Sky Arts programme “Play in a Day” to be broadcast in December.  Date Unknown.  Filmed at the Alexandra Palace on 31st October.  

“Three performances; three genres; six graduates: 24 hours to create something spectacular! Sky Arts would like to invite you to Play in A Day. You will have the opportunity to see star actors and dancers working with recent performing arts graduates. Six graduates from across the nation team up with some of the world’s greatest actors and dancers, under the lights of Alexandra Palace, the watchful eye of Kwame Kwei-Armah OBE (artistic director of the Young Vic theatre in London), and the pressure of the Sky Arts cameras with only 24 hours to produce a masterpiece! Each performance will feature two graduates working together with some of the world’s greatest actors and dancers from the worlds of theatre, music, and ballet, bringing you one ballet piece, one musical and one short play. We would love to see you this Sunday, 31st October 2021, at the iconic Alexandra Palace, north London for an unforgettable evening!”

The graduate dancers had to do several rounds of auditions. They thought the 31st October was actually the final round … but then it turned out to be the event itself.  The lucky two chosen were

- Kamal Singh, from India currently on ENB School’s professional programme

- Leigh Shaked, recent graduate of Laine Theatre Arts

Sergei Polunin was the choreographer of the dance ‘play’. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVu_w3eMec7/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At long last they are showing Yuli ( it was initially supposed to be part of their last dance season). It’s such an enjoyable film. With the documentary about McGregor, I wonder if they will be screening The Dante Project at some point in 2022-  in recent years it was the BBC that screened both Woolf Works and Frankenstein relatively soon after both had premiered.

• Like 1

Well spotted, thanks, oncnp.

That led me to have a closer look at the schedules:

All Sky Arts:

Monday 29th November

7.20 am: LSO: Romeo & Juliet, which I assume is the Prokofiev score, although I haven't checked

9 pm: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (includes Chroma, and of course Revelations)

3.10 am (so Tuesday): Natalia Osipova: The Mother

The Ailey is presumably repeated at 7 am on Thursday 2nd December

• Like 1