Royal Ballet School Summer Intensive applications 2022

MissEmily

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Felicity said:

My 14 year old DD also got a waitlist place. But I have no idea when for?! I ticked the box but didn’t write the date down cause I thought there was no chance of her getting it!! 😂

Well done to your DD.

There were two confirmation emails and it either states on one of then or you can log into your application (using the reference on your email and it will say on there)

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, The red shoes said:

Don’t be disheartened. My ds got a no in year 5 for summer intensive then a yes in year 6 and now in year 7 at White Lodge. 
Looking back his photos were really not great .. I rushed them . 
it’s purely based on photos NOT talent.. remember that Xx 

Thank you very much for your encouragement!

Hi all, long time lurking but first post here. I saw couple of acceptances for week 3. My 10year old daughter is super excited to have been accepted as well. Would anybody want to meet up ahead or at the start of the week 3 and get the little dancers to get to know each other? It will be her first residential and she is a little bit nervous about that. 

9 hours ago, Evangeline said:

Hi all, long time lurking but first post here. I saw couple of acceptances for week 3. My 10year old daughter is super excited to have been accepted as well. Would anybody want to meet up ahead or at the start of the week 3 and get the little dancers to get to know each other? It will be her first residential and she is a little bit nervous about that. 

Hello Evangeline and welcome to the Forum!

• Thanks 1

Sometimes it is just a 'not yet' but sometimes it is a 'no, never'. There are other schemes and residentials that are equally excellent but do not have the RBS name/prestige. My advice for what it's worth is don't lose sight and don't dismiss others. 

Well done to everyone with a yes, commiserations to the nos and fingers crossed for those on WL xx

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dancing.shoes said:

Waiting list here too. Can I just ask - does anyone just get a straight no?! It seems everyone has yes or wait list - in which case nigh on impossible to get a place from WL if everyone has it?! 

I think most people with a ‘no’ don’t tend to come on here and report it! That’s why it seems that ‘everyone’ has a yes or waitlist. I know from past experience that there are lots of ‘no’s’ as both DD and her many of her friends have had them!

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m guessing the majority of applicants would get a straight no?

Edited by margarite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dancing.shoes said:

Waiting list here too. Can I just ask - does anyone just get a straight no?! It seems everyone has yes or wait list - in which case nigh on impossible to get a place from WL if everyone has it?! 

That’s what I was wondering too (though not personally involved in the matter). In previous years I’ve heard of quite a lot of no’s but this year, I haven’t seen nor heard of a single “no”, everyone seems (to me) to have been placed on the waitlist. In past years by this stage I’ve heard/seen of some no’s (even on this forum), a lot of waitlist and some yes’s. Just based on what I’ve personally seen and heard, that wait list seems especially long this year. The travel situation seems to have stabilised with restrictions either completely eased or being eased continually which means all those overseas offers should be fine to travel to the UK in the summer.  I don’t think there will be a lot of movement in that list, certainly not to the extent of last year’s. 

Edited by Neverdancedjustamum

22 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

That’s what I was wondering too (though not personally involved in the matter). In previous years I’ve heard of quite a lot of no’s but this year, I haven’t seen nor heard of a single “no”, everyone seems (to me) to have been placed on the waitlist. In past years by this stage I’ve heard/seen of some no’s (even on this forum), a lot of waitlist and some yes’s. Just based on what I’ve personally seen and heard, that wait list seems especially long this year. The travel situation seems to have stabilised with restrictions either completely eased or being eased continually which means all those overseas offers should be fine to travel to the UK in the summer.  I don’t think there will be a lot of movement in that list, certainly not to the extent of last year’s. 

Fair point, but someone did report a ‘no’ further up the thread 👆

47 minutes ago, margarite said:

Fair point, but someone did report a ‘no’ further up the thread 👆

That’s true. I do wonder (and this is just me doing my usual overthinking) if they put quite a few more on the waitlist this year from UK based applicants as a precautionary measure should travel restrictions somehow come into place again which will make it harder for international ones to travel over. They would then have a larger than usual pool of UK-based waitlist DCs to offer places to should overseas students be unable to take up their place. Business-wise, it makes sense although I assume RBS always had more DCs on waitlists anyway than can be offered places even in previous years regardless of travel situation. I don’t expect them to ever have places that won’t be filled even at short notice. Is this also the first year the intensives are under a new Head? 

Edited by Neverdancedjustamum

My dd got a yes in yr 5! Had an amazing time! We applied for yr7 and got wait list! 
I phoned re the waitlist and their answer was:

Rooms are allocated and paired together in age, when someone drops out they choose/pair up someone same age again! So that’s why there’s a big waitlist! They don’t just take someone from top of list! If that makes

sense 😁

Well done all those that got a place, good luck with waitlist and as others have said there are plenty of other good courses out there 💗

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 1

Hello! First time posting :)  This is our first time applying and my DD was waitlisted. If on the very remote chance that a spot becomes available and is offered to my DD, are we able to decline at that point? Or by accepting the waitlist are we committing to attending should we be offered a spot? I don’t mean to sound like we wouldn’t be grateful if offered a spot, but depending how late the offer comes it may be difficult to pull together a trip like that seeing as we are from Canada. Thanks for any insight!

I’m not sure it’s accurate to assume there were fewer overseas students last year. My dd attended last summer and from what she told me, the majority of the students in her group were international. The overall class size was restricted due to covid considerations. It seemed to be about half the number than in previous courses she had taken there. She had a great time. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Canadiandancemom said:

Hello! First time posting :)  This is our first time applying and my DD was waitlisted. If on the very remote chance that a spot becomes available and is offered to my DD, are we able to decline at that point? Or by accepting the waitlist are we committing to attending should we be offered a spot? I don’t mean to sound like we wouldn’t be grateful if offered a spot, but depending how late the offer comes it may be difficult to pull together a trip like that seeing as we are from Canada. Thanks for any insight!

You can decline. They give you some time to decide whether or not to accept. As someone else has said above, you don't have to say yes and there will always be someone else who will be delighted to receive an offer of a space x

24 minutes ago, twinballerinas said:

Both my girls were accepted into week 5.  Does anyone know of any places to stay near white lodge?  I did not sign them up for residential.  We were always hoping to make it a vacation if they did get in.  

If you are looking at hotels rather than Airbnb etc., Richmond Harbour Hotel Is super close to WL. We stayed recently and was great though I'd probably ask for a room at the back of the property.

36 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Those who have been before.....do we drop them off the Monday morning, or is drop off the day before? We have a very long drive from the north so wanting to book a hotel the night before.

I’m almost positive it was the Sunday I took him up last year. I’ll see if I can find anything in last years emails xx

• Like 1

9 hours ago, margarite said:

I think most people with a ‘no’ don’t tend to come on here and report it! That’s why it seems that ‘everyone’ has a yes or waitlist. I know from past experience that there are lots of ‘no’s’ as both DD and her many of her friends have had them!

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m guessing the majority of applicants would get a straight no?

We had a no

My DD who is nearly 15 did her first last summer so I don’t have personal experience but there summer schools at Elmhurst, Tring (no selection as far as I know) and Ballet Boost and countless others! Don’t worry about the no, it really doesn’t mean much at all! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lilidance said:

As we had a no what other ballet intensive in the il do you recommend ?

Miami Ballet in Florida takes 10 year olds and it's excellent. The video audition deadline is March 15 and it runs the first week of August. It's by the beach and a fast train ride to Disney World so your daughter may enjoy the adventure. I haven't found many intensives in Europe that take young children. We also applied to Paris Opera Ballet as they take young ones but the deadline is passed. Haven't heard yet on results and there appears to be no forum here for it, so unsure how popular it is. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lilidance said:

As we had a no what other ballet intensive in the il do you recommend ?

My daughter, who was 10 at the time, did Malvern last summer. She’s applied for Moorland this year, but there’s also Tring and Hammond for residentials and lots do non residential summer intensives too.