Royal Ballet School Summer Intensive applications 2022

MissEmily

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Lilidance said:

Oh yes hard to explain and for them to understand! ! Does someone know how many children apply for summer intensive and how many are chosen ?

I know from the annual report that in 2019 , 2,203 children applied for 387 places at white lodge . 

Can I just say something

Who they pick for WL summer and spring intensives has no basis on how well your children dance or what their potential is in RBS's eyes.  There is no rhyme or reason and please don't feel it has any baring at all on a students potential.  Some of the students who go are amazing and others are not.  My DC did go to to WL spring and summer for a few years (years 5-8) - he enjoyed them but in that time he got rejected for full time training with white lodge, didn't get mids, went and left elmhurst etc. We also put down every time that he went to a wl intensive on a form that he was interested and wanted to be considered for full time training.  He didn't get in that way and they never gave us any indication that they did consider him.   The year that he stopped going to RBS intensives, joined mids was the year that he was offered a year 10 place for white lodge.

if you get a place - great - enjoy!  Its a fun experience but it doesn't make you a better dancer than your friend in ballet class it just means someone likes your photo!  My DC met wonderful people but it didn't mean that while he was there it got him any closer to his dream of being there full time!  Also to finish the story off with something unexpected - when he was offered his full time place last year - he turned it down and gave up ballet - we definitely didn't see that coming!

There are many intensives - ballet boost, raw talent, dance forward, ybss, malvern etc which your dancers will have an equally if not better time at  than wl

sorry if I've banged on too much but all your dancers are amazing without the WL intensive seal of approval which has no basis on their ability of dance

xx

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Mumof1 said:

I know from the annual report that in 2019 , 2,203 children applied for 387 places at white lodge . 

So by my reckoning thats 2203 paying what £30 to apply? 
A tidy sum to RBS coffers of £66,090….just in application fees! 
Then there’s the actual course fees & merchandise which will more than cover costs….🤔

Anyone else feeling a mug for years & years of just coughing up? So glad to be off the RBS bandwagon this year !! 
My personal opinion is I wish (& will going forwards) I’d been more discerning about how I spent money & made charitable donations to worthy dance projects rather than continually being fleeced for a fleeting look at DC’s photos! 
Just my humble opinion….

and yes, was once successful but tbh, it was no way the best intensive attended & actually seemed quite soulless & body image damaging 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Very well said Coniger 👍🏻

Thanks - I just find it frustrating when parents question their children ability on a photo that wl May or may not like or try to second guess why they weren’t picked.  There is no sense in it and has no consideration whether they are successful in vocational auditions for lower schools and specifically white lodge.  Christopher Powney, hope keelan and mark annear do not pick the kids for intensives - that is someone else - those three pick the children for the school and the two don’t seem to cross .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

So by my reckoning thats 2203 paying what £30 to apply? 
A tidy sum to RBS coffers of £66,090….just in application fees! 
Then there’s the actual course fees & merchandise which will more than cover costs….🤔

Anyone else feeling a mug for years & years of just coughing up? So glad to be off the RBS bandwagon this year !! 
My personal opinion is I wish (& will going forwards) I’d been more discerning about how I spent money & made charitable donations to worthy dance projects rather than continually being fleeced for a fleeting look at DC’s photos! 
Just my humble opinion….

and yes, was once successful but tbh, it was no way the best intensive attended & actually seemed quite soulless & body image damaging 

Cripes and that doesn’t include Covent Garden applicants.

my daughter wanted to give it a try and isn’t that bothered by any other intensive which is a shame. Luckily she’s realistic in her attitude and knows that it’s very hard to get into. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, coniger said:

Thanks - I just find it frustrating when parents question their children ability on a photo that wl May or may not like or try to second guess why they weren’t picked.  There is no sense in it and has no consideration whether they are successful in vocational auditions for lower schools and specifically white lodge.  Christopher Powney, hope keelan and mark annear do not pick the kids for intensives - that is someone else - those three pick the children for the school and the two don’t seem to cross .

My DD got into a RBS associates but still only made the waiting list for the spring intensive. Is it also the case that the DCs chosen for intensives is different to the associates? We had to apply through video for the associates so don’t know who looked at them! 

4 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

My DD got into a RBS associates but still only made the waiting list for the spring intensive. Is it also the case that the DCs chosen for intensives is different to the associates? We had to apply through video for the associates so don’t know who looked at them! 

Completely separate team of people choosing  - I think emma Northmore is head of the intensives now - she’s brilliant - separate from associates 

Just now, Kerfuffle said:

I wonder if being an associate can work against a child if they are trying to see as broad a range as possible? Especially at the older age range where there are far fewer senior associates? 

Not our experience and that of other associates - my dc was always accepted as a JA - first time he got accepted off the waitlist three weeks before the day of the intensive but after that accepted - could have been a boy thing though 

9 minutes ago, coniger said:

Not our experience and that of other associates - my dc was always accepted as a JA - first time he got accepted off the waitlist three weeks before the day of the intensive but after that accepted - could have been a boy thing though 

I guess it’s probably more to do with it being a different panel all together then. Plus do they have equal amounts of boys to girls? 

5 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

I guess it’s probably more to do with it being a different panel all together then. Plus do they have equal amounts of boys to girls? 

Summer the boys are taught separately in male only classes - when my son went to the spring intensive the classes were mixed.  The spring intensives when my son did them were taught by associate teachers and the summer were taught by wl faculty.  But I don’t know what they will do this year 

Edited by coniger

6 minutes ago, coniger said:

Summer the boys are taught separately in male only classes - when my son went to the spring intensive the classes were mixed.  The spring intensives when my son did them were taught by associate teachers and the summer were taught by wl faculty.  But I don’t know what they will do this year 

That is very interesting how they vary. The only one we applied for was at Covent Garden and a strange set up - a few sessions only. She is on the waiting list so she might still get to go 😉 We didn’t apply for summer as she’s got no interest in going to WL especially as she’d be in the oldest year. Last year she did the ENB summer course which was a great experience - nearly all international or from vocational schools including White Lodge. 

Hi,

Nice to meet you all. I’m after some advice if possible, 

We applied for the first time this year for the summer intensive it was a bit of a rush decision and was done close to the closing go date. I’ve just been looking on the online information and in the photo requirements it says the pictures need to include the child’s name in the title. I hadn’t noticed this and just uploaded them from my phone into the application, does anybody have any experience of this? is she just likely to get rejected as her photos weren’t named? 

12 hours ago, Mrsgdy said:

Hi,

Nice to meet you all. I’m after some advice if possible, 

We applied for the first time this year for the summer intensive it was a bit of a rush decision and was done close to the closing go date. I’ve just been looking on the online information and in the photo requirements it says the pictures need to include the child’s name in the title. I hadn’t noticed this and just uploaded them from my phone into the application, does anybody have any experience of this? is she just likely to get rejected as her photos weren’t named? 

I did this last year and my DS was wait listed and then offered a place a few weeks later so you should be fine x

Application for summer intensive closed 15th February, and it says the following online, so I was personally expecting results around 11th or 14th March 

We aim to send the results by email four weeks after the application deadline. We can receive a high volume of applications close to the deadline and results may be sent just after four weeks, we thank you for your patience.

• Thanks 1