Royal Ballet School Summer Intensive applications 2022

MissEmily

Hi everyone, congratulations to everyone that was accepted and fingers crossed for those on the waitlist!! This was the first time DD (11) applied and she was offered a place for week 1 Yellow Girls at While Lodge! We are coming from the USA - planning to visit my family in Europe first before flying to to the UK to drop her off (DH and younger DD are planning to fly back home while I stay in Europe to fly back with her). Would love any tips or insights from anyone that's attended in years past! 

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, balletmom8 said:

Hi everyone, congratulations to everyone that was accepted and fingers crossed for those on the waitlist!! This was the first time DD (11) applied and she was offered a place for week 1 Yellow Girls at While Lodge! We are coming from the USA - planning to visit my family in Europe first before flying to to the UK to drop her off (DH and younger DD are planning to fly back home while I stay in Europe to fly back with her). Would love any tips or insights from anyone that's attended in years past! 

I would be keen to know more too. How many groups are there? I notice it says a colour, is there more than one, for example? Do we take them the day before or do they register on the first day (ie. The 1st August in the case of week 3)? 

I see week 1 starts on a Tue and ends on a Sat. Anyone know what time is pickup on the last day typically? Trying to see if we can fly back to the USA that day or need to stay another night. Also is there a train to Richmond Park from Heathrow/Center of London or do non locals typically rent a car/take a taxi/Uber? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, balletmom8 said:

I see week 1 starts on a Tue and ends on a Sat. Anyone know what time is pickup on the last day typically? Trying to see if we can fly back to the USA that day or need to stay another night. Also is there a train to Richmond Park from Heathrow/Center of London or do non locals typically rent a car/take a taxi/Uber? Thanks!

It varies but usually 1pm. You can get a train to Richmond and then will need to take a taxi/uber up to White Lodge. For the last intensive the school arranged the minibus to bring students down to Sheen Gate Car Park, rather than having everyone wait at White Lodge, but again a taxi/uber can take you there

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, balletmom8 said:

Hello Balletmom8 and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 1

On 14/03/2022 at 07:34, balletmom8 said:

I would contact the school as to whether or not they plan on the Parent Demonstration that day. If so, that ends around noon, but your DD will need to get bags from her room, and then bring them back up front.  You would want to have an Uber pick you up directly at White Lodge instead of trying to get on the crowded shuttles back to Richmond, and you should ask the school if that is allowed as policies may vary. They were very much encouraging everybody to use the shuttle back to Richmond.  We waited at least 30 min for that.  Depending on where you live in the USA, for us West Coast people it is pretty near impossible to catch a flight back home same day with the program ending at noon.

On 13/03/2022 at 17:41, Babyballerinamum said:

Apologies if I’m repeating a question but I can’t see it - does anyone know if WL places are ever offered off the back of the SI? I couldn’t work out why else they’d ask on the form if you were interested but it surprised me. Thanks 

Yes they are.

A boy last year was offered a place at WL from the SI. Two boys had asked to be assessed/considered for a place (ticked on application) one was offered.

On 13/03/2022 at 17:41, Babyballerinamum said:

Apologies if I’m repeating a question but I can’t see it - does anyone know if WL places are ever offered off the back of the SI? I couldn’t work out why else they’d ask on the form if you were interested but it surprised me. Thanks 

If the like someone they will ask to see them regardless of whether or not you tick the box.  We know someone who was asked after the course if they wished to be considered and was offered an audition but decided against it.

4 minutes ago, junedancer said:

If the like someone they will ask to see them regardless of whether or not you tick the box.  We know someone who was asked after the course if they wished to be considered and was offered an audition but decided against it.

Any vocational training school can and do whatever they like. Yes even if you don’t tick the box.

They can offer a place straight away pending an ok physio.

my child was contacted the day after the Elmhurst prelim auditions and offered an immediate start place pending physio. 
They were also invited to WL finals after only ticking MAs we didn’t tick the FT box. 

Last year my child was asked if they would audition for a Y9 place by Hope Keelan. We didn’t tick a box, they received a Direct Entry Award from her as well (They didn’t take anything up as they already had a place elsewhere) 

Children can and are offered places from a variety of SIs. Prelims, Workshops but particularly SI’s as they are ideal as they get to see the child over a considerable amount of time.

if you want your child to be considered for full-time you can still contact RB before the SI and ask them to tick the form so an assessment can take place for your child.

Either way if schools like your child and want them they will let you know.

• Like 5

On 15/03/2022 at 12:08, MPatti said:

I would contact the school as to whether or not they plan on the Parent Demonstration that day. If so, that ends around noon, but your DD will need to get bags from her room, and then bring them back up front.  You would want to have an Uber pick you up directly at White Lodge instead of trying to get on the crowded shuttles back to Richmond, and you should ask the school if that is allowed as policies may vary. They were very much encouraging everybody to use the shuttle back to Richmond.  We waited at least 30 min for that.  Depending on where you live in the USA, for us West Coast people it is pretty near impossible to catch a flight back home same day with the program ending at noon.

Thank you MPatti, this is all really helpful! There are some afternoon flights to the east coast but it might still be too stressful to try to catch a flight on that day.

5 hours ago, balletmom8 said:

When do they typically send out more info/details about the SI? Thanks!

We had an email which said we didn't need to do anything more and they'll send an invoice in May. My emails go to junk though from RBS! 

13 hours ago, balletmom8 said:

it might still be too stressful to try to catch a flight on that day.

balletmom8 don’t forget the hunger factor! Although my DD had no complaints about the food (except limits on dessert!) at White Lodge, she lost weight! And she doesn’t have much to lose! She was starving, and since the demonstration ends at Noon, we didn’t actually sit down for lunch until 2:30!  Nice juicy hamburger and Halloumi fries!! Enjoy an extra night, it is worth not worrying about traffic and security lines at Heathrow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone here. I am new in this forum. My son and I just came back (last friday) form the Spring Intensive that was held in the Floral Street, yesterday I've received short-term visit award. What's that suppose to mean? I'm very thrilled cause his classmate from the school were he studies, had an audition in WL a month ago (she was invited by the director Mr. Powney himself) and has the same visit just in Upper school, she's a bit older than my son( he's 13yr).

Please if someone can give me some explanation what should it mean, I'd be very thankful.

Is there who have already received as well Short term visit award. 

Besides, my son will attend 1-2 weeks of Summer Intensive as well.

Thank you in advance🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pandora84 said:

Hello everyone here. I am new in this forum. My son and I just came back (last friday) form the Spring Intensive that was held in the Floral Street, yesterday I've received short-term visit award. What's that suppose to mean? I'm very thrilled cause his classmate from the school were he studies, had an audition in WL a month ago (she was invited by the director Mr. Powney himself) and has the same visit just in Upper school, she's a bit older than my son( he's 13yr).

Please if someone can give me some explanation what should it mean, I'd be very thankful.

Thank you in advance🙂

Others maybe able to confirm but DC is pretty sure this is an invitation to join classes at WL where they assess you against the current year with the possibility of being offered a place.  We know of a case where this happened but it wasn’t called quite the same thing.  Royal have a number of names for waitlists so I am assuming they do the same for the various personal invitations.

• Like 1

It sounds like an ‘International Scholar’ opportunity…(am I right in guessing your travelled from overseas? 

Congratulations to your son who must’ve shone at the Easter Intensive. 

Not directly relevant but….

I do personally question the constant desire by the RBS to seek overseas talent when they seem unable to train their own ‘talent’ to a suitable level to offer them a chance to continue up through the year groups at White Lodge or to join RBS upper school after perhaps several years training at White Lodge…suggests they think other training is better than their own…??🤔🤔🤔

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

It sounds like an ‘International Scholar’ opportunity…(am I right in guessing your travelled from overseas? 

I do personally question the constant desire by the RBS to seek overseas talent when they seem unable to train their own ‘talent’ to a suitable level to offer them a chance to continue up through the year groups at White Lodge or to join RBS upper school after perhaps several years training at White Lodge…suggests they think other training is better than their own…??🤔🤔🤔

We are from Italy. No ideas what to expect but I‘be noticed from my son’s classmate’s experience, that the RBS has soooo long procedures, if I may call it , what regards entering. The girl is very talented, she has everything what usually one academy/school seeks in a dancer and still she had to pass from all the auditions/zoom meetings etc. 

will see how the things will go this time for her. 
talking about my son, very happy about it but very chill as well,  we’ll see. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Exactly this!! Nothing against internationals and firmly believe they should be included but not at the expense of UK dancers. It should be about talent, not where your from. 

• Like 4

On 18/03/2022 at 13:32, twinballerinas said:

Do they require a specific leotard?  I know we have time. I just like being prepared. 

No, for the classes your child can wear whatever leotard, belt or

skirt she likes. Although for the perf to show parents, they may ask children to wear a particular colour like navy or black. Please encourage your child to adhere to this; there was a group of girls who decided to ignore this last year because they thought they could stand out in another colour 😱😱😱

Edited by HopelessMummy
Missing emojis!

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2022 at 13:23, Pandora84 said:

Thank you in advance🙂

Hi. My younger daughter was with your son at the spring intensive and says he is amazing. She is sure he will get in full-time. We wish you all the luck in the process. It is usually quicker and less demanding for boys as talented boy dancers are always in high demand. Maybe we will see you at the summer intensive as my older daughter is going. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had sent an email back in March to the RBS intensive courses email account to ask about drop off/pickup times etc. as I was trying to book flights and they mentioned that the payment forms, medical/dietary questions and handbook would be sent out in May. Anyone get anything yet? I can’t seem to email them anymore (my emails are bouncing back). We are heading to Europe in June to visit family first and want to make sure I have everything we need with us before we leave. Thanks!