Royal Ballet School Summer Intensive applications 2022

MissEmily

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, balletmom8 said:

I had sent an email back in March to the RBS intensive courses email account to ask about drop off/pickup times etc. as I was trying to book flights and they mentioned that the payment forms, medical/dietary questions and handbook would be sent out in May. Anyone get anything yet? I can’t seem to email them anymore (my emails are bouncing back). We are heading to Europe in June to visit family first and want to make sure I have everything we need with us before we leave. Thanks! 

I’ve not received anything

2 hours ago, balletmom8 said:

I had sent an email back in March to the RBS intensive courses email account to ask about drop off/pickup times etc. as I was trying to book flights and they mentioned that the payment forms, medical/dietary questions and handbook would be sent out in May. Anyone get anything yet? I can’t seem to email them anymore (my emails are bouncing back). We are heading to Europe in June to visit family first and want to make sure I have everything we need with us before we leave. Thanks! 

Nothing here either.....I am sure payment is due 23rd May so guessing we should get something in the next couple of weeks?

On 09/05/2022 at 16:07, Factsandfouettes said:

We have not heard anything! 

Handed back our place (age 12) week 2..... I imagine more will become available this month when you have to pay xxxx hope someone on this group gets a lovely surprise! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Raquelle said:

Handed back our place (age 12) week 2..... I imagine more will become available this month when you have to pay xxxx hope someone on this group gets a lovely surprise! 

Not our age group but thank you for sharing x 

Finally got the email with the summer handbook and I need to find DD a character skirt and shoes. I saw a pic online from last years SI with several girls wearing royal blue character skirts. Anyone know the brand? Also any specific character shoes you recommend? Thanks! 

5DC7D506-E983-4FEB-8BC1-FCD8F35A2280.jpeg

• Like 1

The blue ones are the ones they have to wear for the Royal associate lessons. I remember the days of getting her Grandma to make it from the material they sent!!!

My DD will be wearing her skirt she wears at Elmhurst......Black skirt with blue ribbons. Character shoes......she wears Bloch 

• Like 2

Any longer length wide dance skirt will be fine - the heaver material is best but DD just wore an RAD regulation chiffon one when her RAD character one was too small.  International students will come with a variety of skirts.  I wouldn’t be buying new.

The shoes should be low heel character of any brand but Bloch are the most popular.  One year DD didn’t have character shoes and wore her black jazz shoes which had a harder sole and small heel but they really do make a difference so worth the investment.  A few from overseas will have come without if they don’t use them.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 18:41, PrancingMum said:

Any longer length wide dance skirt will be fine - the heaver material is best but DD just wore an RAD regulation chiffon one when her RAD character one was too small.  International students will come with a variety of skirts.  I wouldn’t be buying new.

The shoes should be low heel character of any brand but Bloch are the most popular.  One year DD didn’t have character shoes and wore her black jazz shoes which had a harder sole and small heel but they really do make a difference so worth the investment.  A few from overseas will have come without if they don’t use them.

Thank you sunrise81, TinyNEDancer and PrancungMum! I'll try to see if I can get a longer character skirt and will look for the Bloch character shoes.

Hi all, does anybody know the RBS policy on fringe/bangs? Do female dancers have to pin them away for the practice or just for the demos/performances? My daughter recently cut her hair and no she is unrecognizable in her portrait photo? Would you re-take photo with a fringe or will she have to pin hers away anyway? Thanks in advance for any input. I’m not sure what to do 😅

A Russian student in my daughter's year group( age 15) SI,  had a fringe and wore it down for everything including the parent watching day. They didn't seem to mind at all and as far as I know she was never told to change it. It actually really suited her.  I would say it's fairly unusual to have a fringe down. Maybe you could call and check?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, valentina said:

A Russian student in my daughter's year group( age 15) SI,  had a fringe and wore it down for everything including the parent watching day. They didn't seem to mind at all and as far as I know she was never told to change it. It actually really suited her.  I would say it's fairly unusual to have a fringe down. Maybe you could call and check?

Thank you Valentina! You are right, I think I will probably call them and see what they say. 

Does anyone have any idea what time the presentation might start on the final morning? DD did SI last year but parents' weren't able to come in and watch of course so we just picked them up around mid-afternoon from memory. Trying to book trains and wondering how early I would need to get there, roughly... 

Was just reading the handbook. It says they register the day before their course starts. Do they then stay overnight that night too? I'm guessing they do.....but then it says how they cannot provide accommodation on dates outside 

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, NYC said:

My DS just got accepted off the WL W3 waitlist, for residential. Can anyone tell me what the kids do when not dancing? Are there structured activities like football and movies? 

Congratulations 🎉 I asked my DS is he remembered what that age group did last summer. He seemed to remember short structured activities like some kind of treasure hunt in the grounds, a tik tok challenge, some kind of movie quiz. But it all sounded very relaxed and perfect for ‘down time’ after a full busy day. There was the opportunity to play football, and they had a relaxed ‘pizza night’ mid week. White Lodge has very beautiful grounds, and is the perfect place for the children to ‘hang out’ on a lovely summer evening. 

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Extra content
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Congratulations 🎉 I asked my DS is he remembered what that age group did last summer. He seemed to remember short structured activities like some kind of treasure hunt in the grounds, a tik tok challenge, some kind of movie quiz. But it all sounded very relaxed and perfect for ‘down time’ after a full busy day. There was the opportunity to play football, and they had a relaxed ‘pizza night’ mid week. White Lodge has very beautiful grounds, and is the perfect place for the children to ‘hang out’ on a lovely summer evening. 

This is so helpful, thank you. You mention TikTok, did all the kids have devices and phones with them? Or is it pretty digital free?

2 minutes ago, NYC said:

This is so helpful, thank you. You mention TikTok, did all the kids have devices and phones with them? Or is it pretty digital free?

When we received the handbook it stated that all kids were allowed phones or iPads to use and call home . They are only allowed to use them in their free time and if they’re seen to be using them too much they’ll be taken away. I was very hesitant at first but if the majority of kids have them then I’ll just go with the flow. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NYC said:

As @Mumof1said, most children seemed to have them. Fortunately, they had to be given in to house parents in the evenings (so they could sleep device-free) and given back to the children in the mornings. They were strictly not allowed in studios and only for free time. It was good to know they could call home if feeling a little home sick. Although my DS was having such a busy and enjoyable time, I’d consider myself lucky if I got 1 text massage a day 😂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

As @Mumof1said, most children seemed to have them. Fortunately, they had to be given in to house parents in the evenings (so they could sleep device-free) and given back to the children in the mornings. They were strictly not allowed in studios and only for free time. It was good to know they could call home if feeling a little home sick. Although my DS was having such a busy and enjoyable time, I’d consider myself lucky if I got 1 text massage a day 😂 

That’s so good to hear that they won’t have them at night. Thank you

• Like 1

On 19/06/2022 at 12:21, Mumof1 said:

When we received the handbook it stated that all kids were allowed phones or iPads to use and call home . They are only allowed to use them in their free time and if they’re seen to be using them too much they’ll be taken away. I was very hesitant at first but if the majority of kids have them then I’ll just go with the flow. 

My now 18 year old still chides me for how when she first went to an overnight event aged 8-9 she was the only one without a device, just 20p coins for the pay phone! And how when I did secumb to getting her a phone it was the cheapest & most basic possible....& literally all the other kids her age already had iphones & often ipads too!! Funily enough we recently found said phone.....& I was reminded all over again how cruel a parent I was - ha ha!

• Like 8

Just got the arrival and departure times. Does anyone know if they allow a younger sibling to watch too.....I literally have no one to leave her with as will have to stay the night before, and her dad works nights and my family are away on holiday!!!

33 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Just got the arrival and departure times. Does anyone know if they allow a younger sibling to watch too.....I literally have no one to leave her with as will have to stay the night before, and her dad works nights and my family are away on holiday!!!

I have EXACTLY this dilemma! We were going to travel beforehand, my other child and I, and I’m not sure what I will do now. 

On 24/06/2022 at 18:33, Clementine said:

I have EXACTLY this dilemma! We were going to travel beforehand, my other child and I, and I’m not sure what I will do now. 

They have replied to my email saying its fine, and if there aren't enough seats then the youngest will have to sit on the floor instead.

• Thanks 1