Jump to content

margarite

Members
  • Content Count

    228
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

339 Excellent

Recent Profile Visitors

2,211 profile views
  1. There was a voluntary contribution to costumes, shoes and LCB t-shirt ( around £70 I think) which those on low incomes were not expected to pay, but you had to pay your own travel expenses. As the rest of the experience and all tuition was completely free, it seemed very fair.
  2. Mainly at Central in Farringdon ( but think Central have moved now?) and also at Pineapple, Jerwood and Rambert on South Bank and also Wayne McGregor in Stratford. This was for the 2018 production.
  3. It was a huge, huge commitment, but possibly one of the most exciting and memorable events in DD’s life and she didn’t want the whole experience to end. Well worth every moment for us too, despite having every weekend devoted to shuttling her around ( she had Saturday associates too) and many an hour spent nursing stewed cups of tea in various cafes.
  4. Hello my daughter danced with LCB in 2018. All cast members are needed pretty much every rehearsal. In the rehearsals from Jan to April DD rehearsed every Sunday bar one and she was in the corp ( though towards the end she was understudy to a main role). However rehearsals can be anytime between 1-6pm on a Sunday and you can often only needed for two hours so possible to fit in other things. DD often did associate class in the morning before going to rehearsals later on.
  5. There was another girl at DD's old dance school whose mum chose not to query why she was with much younger children and her daughter ended up in Grade 2 until she was nearly 11, despite getting mid 80s in her Grade 1 exam. I think everyone has a fear of being 'that mum' but sometimes you just have to speak out.
  6. There's the possibility that the teacher might have her age/year group wrong? Is she small for her age? My DD had to be slightly fast-tracked as the school principal realised that they had her down as a year younger - she took her Grade 1 at 8.5, but then only did Grade 2 for two terms and joined her peer group in G3 when she was 9.
  7. margarite

    New Year

    All of this! It might seem that life will never seem the same again but suddenly you have a 'new normal'. Both DD and I (and even her dad) have made some wonderful new friends. Good luck everyone xxx
  8. Discovered yesterday that DD's backup tracksuit bottoms are now swinging around her knees (she's finally grown - hurray!) so are up for sale for £5. Suitable for a teeny year 7 - I think 24 waist and 26 leg. They have been used but still got a bit of life in them - ideal for having as a spare pair.
  9. margarite

    John Mallinson

    I’m so sorry to hear this sad news. Sending my condolences to his family and friends x
  10. My DD is in Year 7 and there's at least one ballet class everyday, sometimes two. She is more of a classical dancer and is very ballet-orientated, but enjoys the modern and tap lessons too (there's approx two hours of tap and four hours of modern weekly) The standard is very high, I would say around 75% of her year were JA previously and the other 25% associates elsewhere like Elmhurst, YDA etc. Hope that helps.
  11. My DD has triangle Freeds 😀. Thanks for sharing!
  12. I think EYB are really great at making sure that all the children get an equal amount of time on stage. My DD was a cygnet and loved it, so did her friend who was a courtier/servant.
  13. I’m so sorry your daughter is feeling lonely. In my opinion, some cliques do have the same effect as bullying, as they isolate and exclude people not in the group. I think of it as passive aggressive bullying! It might be too near the end of term to talk to staff, but I would definitely escalate it if she still felt the same in September. If it’s any consolation, my normally happy DD was a bit teary last week, as others have said, the tiredness, hard work and anticipation of the big production were taking its toll. I hope your DD feels more positive once she’s home and rested x
  14. Thanks for sharing - was that a policy just for your daughter, or an addition to include her on to your existing policy? I’m paying just under £1000 a year for the school’s policy at the mo, could do with reducing it 😳
  15. I know some incredible dancers who were never picked for JA. Talent and potential plays a huge part, but there is also an element of luck involved. Good luck everyone ☘️
×
×
  • Create New...