Live from Covent Garden, 13th June and following weeks

Live from Covent Garden

A special message from Antonio Pappano, Music Director of the Royal Opera, Kevin O’Hare, Director of The Royal Ballet and Oliver Mears, Director of the Royal Opera.

As our closest Friends and supporters, we are delighted for you to be among the first to learn about our new series of live concerts. Live from Covent Garden will be streamed live on Facebook and YouTube from our beloved theatre, with the first being broadcast on Saturday 13 June at 7:30pm.

We have worked together to curate this programme, celebrating some of the best talent in opera alongside the unparalleled artistry and athleticism of our dancers from The Royal Ballet.

Get ready for 13 June...

The first concert, hosted by the BBC’s Anita Rani and our very own Director of Music, Antonio Pappano, will be broadcast on 13th June at 7:30pm. It will see the ROH open its theatre to a limited number of musicians, artists and performers in the first live concert since closing our doors on 17 March 2020.  

The first concert will draw on the Royal Opera House’s heritage, with works from Benjamin Britten and George Frederic Handel, as well as repertory favourites, from George Butterworth to Mark Anthony Turnage. These will be performed by stars including Louise Alder, Toby Spence and Gerald Finley

We also look forward to a world premiere by Wayne McGregor, Resident Choreographer of The Royal Ballet. Further details of this exciting new work will be announced in due course.

We hope these concerts will bring you the joy and connection of a live performance. We will be asking for donations around the show as, with more than 60% of our income gone, we are at one of the most difficult times in the organisation’s long history. As loyal Friends and supporters we hope you will enjoy these concerts and support us.

The following two performances on Saturday 20 June and Saturday 27 June will be available to view live and on demand for just £4.99 and will include a host of ballet and opera direct from The Royal Opera, The Royal Ballet, and the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House. We look forward to sharing details with you soon.

We look forward to welcoming you, from your house, back to our house.

Antonio Pappano

Music Director of the Royal Opera

Kevin O’Hare

Director of The Royal Ballet 

Oliver Mears

Director of the Royal Opera  

Subscribe to our social channels for the latest information about Live from Covent Garden

• Like 7

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are certainly dancers I'd be more excited about seeing than others. But personally I'll be thrilled to watch live streamed ballet from any of the Royal Ballet dancers at those prices. And indeed I would be if the opportunity was still there after the opera house is fully re-opened. This is wonderful news 🙂

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DanJL said:

There are certainly dancers I'd be more excited about seeing than others. But personally I'll be thrilled to watch live streamed ballet from any of the Royal Ballet dancers at those prices. And indeed I would be if the opportunity was still there after the opera house is fully re-opened. This is wonderful news 🙂

I was actually thinking of what/who would have the potential to generate revenue for the ROH. That is the key issue here. I take it that we've all seen the statement from Alex Beard that the ROH cannot stay afloat on its current resources beyond the autumn?

• Like 3

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, toursenlair said:

personally "a bunch of singers and something by Wayne McGregor" does not have my heart going pitapat.

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I was actually thinking of what/who would have the potential to generate revenue for the ROH. That is the key issue here. 

Suggestions? Who/what  would you like to see (given current constraints)?

6 hours ago, capybara said:

I was actually thinking of what/who would have the potential to generate revenue for the ROH. That is the key issue here. I take it that we've all seen the statement from Alex Beard that the ROH cannot stay afloat on its current resources beyond the autumn?

Very good point, apologies capybara for misunderstanding. My excitement got the better of me!

Possibly they are still at the stage of what is practically possible, which could be quite limited - maybe the new McGregor is something well designed for the limitations. It must be quite a difficult balance, trying to maximise the audience of people keen enough to pay whilst finding productions that aren't too expensive to put on.

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

Suggestions? Who/what  would you like to see (given current constraints)?

I was thinking about suitable material yesterday: if close contact were ruled out (though there are some potential pairings of dancers who live together), what is there apart from the solo turns from pdd or other short extracts from ballets?

The two which came immediately to my mind are both by Ashton, namely the Dance of the Blessed Spirits and the Brahms Waltzes in the manner of Isadora Duncan.

I guess that the RB will do as Munich is doing - I.e. use partners who are couples in real life (there are many in the RB) plus individuals.

On the basis of couples, one could imagine the Lescaut/Mistress pdd from Manon, the Giselle pdd, the Grand Pas from La Bayadere, the R&J pdd , the Sleeping Beauty or Swan Lake pdd , Yugen (as Bruce suggests) and so on.

I’m with Lizzie on Blessed Spirits  and I have cast it already - we’ll see.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Well, I’ll put in a request for Muntagirov in “Blessed Spirit” in that case - having watched him being rehearsed by Dowell a few years ago but never having seen him perform it live!

He performed it at the Spring Gala a couple of years ago - I'd gladly pay my fiver to see him do it again remotely.

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
15 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

He performed it at the Spring Gala a couple of years ago - I'd gladly pay my fiver to see him do it again remotely.

And earlier this year in Tokyo....

I believe the Bolshoi are doing live shows and the dancers have to be tested two days before and then can only take part if test is negative but I suppose this allows fairly normal performances of works. They are a very big Company however. 
I don’t think I’d be that keen to see dancers wearing masks though ...it’s either safe to perform or it isn’t. 
I’m not really that much into opera but perhaps these mixed performances will be a good thing and who knows might get me hooked on wanting to see future productions. 
I think the amount they are charging to see these live performances is cheap so I’d be happy to pay the ROH needs to raise some revenue urgently if it’s to be closed until January though am secretly hoping we might get a Nutcracker treat in time for Christmas 😊

• Like 1

What are the chances that the new Wayne  McGregor piece is the other half of the Dante project which was due to be premiered at the end of the season for which the casting was to be announced , or at least something closely connected with it ? I think it is difficult to judge how much interest a new work by McGregor would generate whoever is dancing. Whatever the powers that be may believe McGregor is not universally admired. It will be interesting to see what sort of audience the new work generates. Perhaps the ballet management is banking on the idea that the ballet audience is feeling so deprived of seeing dance performances by the company that they will be prepared to pay to watch a new McGregor work. I hope that they have planned something more popular for their second show particularly if it turns out that the anticipated audience aren't that keen on the initial offering. I wonder how far the rehearsals for the heritage mixed bill got ?  At the very least they should be able to give us "Satan's solo " from Job.

The problem as far as the programme being suggested by others is concerned is that it is far from clear how popular an evening of odds and ends would be.  Perhaps we are so dance deprived we would lap it up. However it seems to me that without some real imagination such a programme could so easily descend into an evening of standard gala fodder. Assuming that management will want to be a bit more adventurous than that Ashton gala pieces spring to mind. They include works as varied as "Raymonda pas de deux"; Thais and " The Walk to the Paradise Garden" perhaps the third character death will have to be eliminated from the latter for the time being, but that may not be necessary as he wears a mask anyway.  I would suggest "Voices of Spring" but it is so overdone and all the while it is danced simply as a serious gala showpiece rather than a tongue in cheek rendering of a soviet style technical display it rather misses the point. Other Ashton choreography which could easily be pressed into service includes the ballroom pas de deux from Cinderella; the "Pas de l'Ombre" from Ondine if Hayward dances it; the final pas de deux from Daphnis and Chloe which makes a surprisingly good stand alone piece and the final pas de deux from Sylvia is another possibility. I seem to recall that when it was danced by Collier and Jefferies as a stand alone piece at the Ashton eightieth birthday gala held in 1984 it was performed in a slightly revised version which involved cutting the music for the corps thus eliminating the gap in stage action which is inevitable without the cut. A piece they might ask Muntagirov to perform is another of his gala pieces the solo created for Dolin as the Beau Gosse in Nijinska's Le Train Bleu. It has to be said that his performance of that solo suggests that the ballet was a whole lot better and far more entertaining than was suggested by the POB recording of it. Finally what about Balanchine's Tarantella the company has at least six dancers who could do that piece justice and only New York audiences have seen O'Sullivan in the McBride role. Now if they announced Anna Rose was dancing it with any of the men who currently have it in their repertory I would subscribe like a shot.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Good news that BBC will be airing the first concert  on Radio 3 and highlights  on TV.

Hopefully the  BBC will continue to support the  ROH and other Companies in this way. 

I don't whether the BBC are allowed to, but it would be a good idea if perhaps before and after the broadcast they could encourage people to donate (I'm not suggesting Children in Need proportions - but perhaps a text or phone number or a link to the ROH's website)

5 minutes ago, MJW said:

I don't whether the BBC are allowed to, but it would be a good idea if perhaps before and after the broadcast they could encourage people to donate (I'm not suggesting Children in Need proportions - but perhaps a text or phone number or a link to the ROH's website)

Somehow I don't think you will need to worry about a pitch - in a variety of formats - being made - probably (understandably) more than once.  Certainly that has been the fashion for other houses.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

On 04/06/2020 at 10:30, FLOSS said:

The problem as far as the programme being suggested by others is concerned is that it is far from clear how popular an evening of odds and ends would be.  Perhaps we are so dance deprived we would lap it up. However it seems to me that without some real imagination such a programme could so easily descend into an evening of standard gala fodder. 

@FLOSS  I would certainly lap up an evening of standard gala fodder, so I must be one of the deprived.  In fact, I would probably be overjoyed to see the Sugar Plum Fairy solo,  and that shows exactly how deprived I have become. 

By the way, did anyone else smile at the BBC announcement that the first post lock down performance featuring dance premiere by Wayne McGregor will be aired on Radio 3? My first thought was that perhaps they will broadcast it in the same way that they broadcast live tennis matches on the radio. Maybe Mr McGregor himself will provide the commentary? 🙂

• Like 12

Pleased to see that at least highlights will be shown on BBC later, I've read the McGregor is an intimate new piece, sounds more like a pdd, I suppose we will be in for a multitude of "social distancing" ballets soon, actually the new way of moving out of people's way whilst trying to avoid joggers is quite choreographic!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beryl H said:I suppose we will be in for a multitude of "social distancing" ballets soon, actually the new way of moving out of people's way whilst trying to avoid joggers is quite choreographic!

I reckon the rat catcher from Manon will be given his own ballet, basically 40 minutes of everyone keeping out of his way while he wanders round the stage 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Fonty said:

By the way, did anyone else smile at the BBC announcement that the first post lock down performance featuring dance premiere by Wayne McGregor will be aired on Radio 3? My first thought was that perhaps they will broadcast it in the same way that they broadcast live tennis matches on the radio. Maybe Mr McGregor himself will provide the commentary? 🙂

And if the commentary were to follow the style of his usual programme notes, the RB could wave goodbye to any potential new audience members.

• Like 7

Wayne McGregor spoke the the upper school students at Elmhurst yesterday via Zoom and talked to them about the piece he is doing for this performance (and it's not what people have been speculating so watch this space! My daughter was very excited at the prospect!) She loved listening to him and described him as  an intelligent, knowledgeable man passionate about the art. He gave them a much needed boost after such a long break from face to face training, 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, mimi'smom said:

Wayne McGregor spoke the the upper school students at Elmhurst yesterday via Zoom and talked to them about the piece he is doing for this performance (and it's not what people have been speculating so watch this space! My daughter was very excited at the prospect!) She loved listening to him and described him as  an intelligent, knowledgeable man passionate about the art. He gave them a much needed boost after such a long break from face to face training, 

The Royal Ballet School has regular Q&A sessions with the top RB stars for both White Lodge and Upper School students. These initiatives are really good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mimi'smom said:

Whenever I’ve seen him he does indeed seem lovely, and I’m very glad that he was able to give such a necessary boost to the students. If only he could ditch some of the overarching psychobabble.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

. If only he could ditch some of the overarching psychobabble.  

But that's McGregor's USP  He clearly made an early strategic decision to go down that route/talk that way - and it's worked a treat for him

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, capybara said:

But that's McGregor's USP  He clearly made an early strategic decision to go down that route/talk that way - and it's worked a treat for him

As the oft-quoted Miss Jean Brody might say (and I believe Abraham Lincoln said something similar): “For those people who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing that they like.”

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 2