Live from Covent Garden, 13th June and following weeks

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too completed the survey which took me a lot longer than the suggested 10 minutes. I was particularly interested in the questions around on line material as a safe, risk free option compared with attending performances in the theatre. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

I was about 15% through the survey, when it suddenly said thank you for completing the survey

I had that too. I'd done the personal info & selected how interested I was in opera, ballet & orchestral music then suddenly it ended. I don't know if it decided I was the wrong demographic or something but it's rather annoying not to be able to give an opinion on the presumably more interesting points.

Same for me Dawnstar. Seems strange they'd want to narrow the range of opinions. I'd certainly have plenty of positive things to tell them about my own likely take up of any online offerings that might come along.

31 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I had the same and the message was that the quota had been filled. I believe it's pretty standard in surveys where they're trying to get a spread of respondents.

Maybe you should have entered an untrue age!

It did take much longer than the stated 10 minutes and I had embarked on it with the mindset of someone who is accustomed to really trite surveys from the ROH.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Live from Covent Garden, 13th June 2020, 7.30 pm
1 hour ago, AnneMarriott said:

Ditto!

10 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

I was about 15% through the survey, when it suddenly said thank you for completing the survey

1 hour ago, AnneMarriott said:

Ditto!

I am amongst the elderly and regular attending audience much despised by ROH marketing and I'm wondering if that is why the survey shut me out after a couple of questions.  Not wishing to cast aspersions, but I wonder if you, being a regular attender, might have been shut out under the same umbrella.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AnneMarriott said:

I am amongst the elderly and regular attending audience much despised by ROH marketing and I'm wondering if that is why the survey shut me out after a couple of questions.  Not wishing to cast aspersions, but I wonder if you, being a regular attender, might have been shut out under the same umbrella.

Probably right Anne. Age and ticking regular attender probably finished my contribution

59 minutes ago, AnneMarriott said:

I fit into the same category, Anne, yet far from being shut out, I was asked to give detailed reasons to explain why I'd given the answers I'd given.  The survey was taking so long that, the 3rd or 4th time I was asked for these details, I had to write that the survey was taking too long and that I didn't have time to reply in the detail they were asking for.

Edited to add that, if they'd stated in advance that the survey might take much longer than the 10 minutes stated in the email, I'd have made sure to start it when I knew I'd have more time available.  

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

Guest oncnp
27 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

That's ridiculous.  I hope you are all going to write and say that you wanted to complete the survey but were prevented from doing so!

They are just box ticking. Now they can pat themselves on the back and say "we did a survey"!

18 minutes ago, oncnp said:

They are just box ticking. Now they can pat themselves on the back and say "we did a survey"!

I disagree, I’m afraid. The ROH is an institution in crisis and it felt to me that this was a genuine attempt to garner views about ways forward. I would have said FAR more had they given a realistic time estimate up front. But, even so, I think I had the opportunity to  offer my perspective on possible ways forward.
This was the first time I have ever filled in a survey and answered ‘yes’ to the question about contacting me further.  We need the ROH and they need us.

• Like 9

I don't think it's fair to say they are box-ticking - they're trying to assess the viability of having paid-for streamed performances. To do that they need also to hear from people less engaged than we are.

The ROH have employed a company to carry out the survey who know a lot more about methodology than I, and probably most people here, do. They presumably have a limited budget to work with, which translates to a limited number of responses they can analyse appropriately. Qualitative analysis - which it sounds like this survey will lead to - is quite labour intensive.

• Like 6

I suspect this issue may be down to a poorly executed survey design rather than any intention of the ROH, who I'm sure would be interested in a wide range of views. Perhaps getting in touch with them separately would be a good idea.

For what it's worth, the demographic information I submitted is likely to be pretty rare so I highly doubt they'd filled a quota on that basis. I did say I regularly attend ballet performances (but not opera) - but for an email sent to Friends I assume they would expect a high level of engagement from most responders.

Guest oncnp
18 minutes ago, capybara said:

I disagree, I’m afraid. The ROH is an institution in crisis and it felt to me that this was a genuine attempt to garner views about ways forward. I would have said FAR more had they given a realistic time estimate up front. But, even so, I think I had the opportunity to  offer my perspective on possible ways forward.
This was the first time I have ever filled in a survey and answered ‘yes’ to the question about contacting me further.  We need the ROH and they need us.

I hope you are right but my encounters with the ROH suggest otherwise.

As I am unlikely to receive the survey (American Friend) can you give a brief description of what was asked? 

Yes, really looking forward! Has anyone seen whether this will be available to view afterwards or only live? I remember that the later on demand performances are advertised as being available to re-watch but wasn't sure about this one.

20 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I hope you are right but my encounters with the ROH suggest otherwise.

As I am unlikely to receive the survey (American Friend) can you give a brief description of what was asked? 

I can't be much help, but for what it's worth I recorded my age and location in the UK, agreed that I liked ballet, attended live performances and watched recorded performances but had little interest in opera.  Then I was thanked for taking part in the survey!

52 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't think it's fair to say they are box-ticking - they're trying to assess the viability of having paid-for streamed performances. To do that they need also to hear from people less engaged than we are.

I don't understand what you are saying @Lizbie1  If the survey is only being sent to Friends, then that means the interviewees are already going to be fully engaged with the aims of the ROH.  Someone less engaged is not likely to be a Friend in the first place,.

However, if they want a broader demographic, is now the time for this sort of survey?  Not sure what the quotas are based on, but I assume age is one of them.  Does it really matter if the person watching on Youtube is in their 70s or their 20s?  Isn't the main purpose of the survey to find out what regular attendees want to see, and how much they are prepared to pay to see it on line, in order to bring in some desperately needed cash to the ROH?  If not, then it really ought to be. 

In which case, there are only a few simple questions that need to be asked.  Can you watch on line, what sort of ballet/opera would you like to see, and how much are you prepared to pay to see it?  Sounds pretty simple to me.  And yes, I have in the past been involved in qualitative analysis!

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Highlights from the first concert/performance are to be broadcast by the BBC in July.

Thanks JohnS. If it's only possible to see highlights afterwards I'll have to cancel a regular social engagement and watch live. Just in case the McGregor isn't shown in full on the BBC.

8 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Thanks JohnS. If it's only possible to see highlights afterwards I'll have to cancel a regular social engagement and watch live. Just in case the McGregor isn't shown in full on the BBC.

It may well be that the performance will be available from the ROH - I just haven’t seen that stated and more information may become available in the next day or two. I guess the ROH will be highlighting donations and being able to access the performance from the website would increase the potential audience/donations.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I don't understand what you are saying @Lizbie1  If the survey is only being sent to Friends, then that means the interviewees are already going to be fully engaged with the aims of the ROH.  Someone less engaged is not likely to be a Friend in the first place,.

Sure, but it's a good place to start. I think also that most people who post here will be on the more engaged side of the spectrum, whereas I know of at least two Friends who buy tickets maybe twice a season and that's it as far as engagement goes.

39 minutes ago, Fonty said:

However, if they want a broader demographic, is now the time for this sort of survey?  Not sure what the quotas are based on, but I assume age is one of them.  Does it really matter if the person watching on Youtube is in their 70s or their 20s?  Isn't the main purpose of the survey to find out what regular attendees want to see, and how much they are prepared to pay to see it on line, in order to bring in some desperately needed cash to the ROH?  If not, then it really ought to be. 

In which case, there are only a few simple questions that need to be asked.  Can you watch on line, what sort of ballet/opera would you like to see, and how much are you prepared to pay to see it?  Sounds pretty simple to me.  And yes, I have in the past been involved in qualitative analysis!

I agree completely. I'm in my dotage and have been a regular at the ROH since 1975 but I was allowed tp continue in the survey to the bitter end and became increasingly frustrated as the survey moved from the gathering of date to opinion. They asked us to be frank and honest so I obliged (!) but the questioning became repetetive and if I answered 'see previous answer', my responses were described as 'weak'. I was particularly narked when they pointed out that the newsletter was now being sent out weekly instead of monthly and was this helpful since the blatant purpose is to garner donations. There was nothing in this that they couldn't have learnt from the comments in this forum and other places. I wasn't impressed with the vagueness of what I would regard as the key question: how much? Would I be prepared to pay say £5 or £10? The going rate elsewhere seems to be up £4.99 and while I would be up for that in many cases (more selectively in the case of opera), I would baulk at £10 or more, particularly as the competion around the world from theatre, opera, dance, concerts etc is becoming fierce!

Is any other part of the performing arts investing in expensive surveys? Most just seem to be getting on with it using common sense. 

1 hour ago, DanJL said:

Yes, really looking forward! Has anyone seen whether this will be available to view afterwards or only live? I remember that the later on demand performances are advertised as being available to re-watch but wasn't sure about this one.

i just asked this question on the ROH Instagram account on the post promoting the events, and they have replied to say they will be available on demand for 14 days.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, David said:

Is any other part of the performing arts investing in expensive surveys? Most just seem to be getting on with it using common sense. 

NYCB did one as well at the end of the NYCB Spring Digital Season - largely concentrating on the further development of digital services for the Company.  

• Like 3