Live from Covent Garden, 13th June and following weeks

I’m sorry so many people found they were excluded from participating in the full survey. I don’t know what criteria were being used but I doubt very much if age/frequency of attending performances were factors.

I do wonder what testing was done of the survey but I’m pretty sure it took be the best part of 30 minutes. At times I was tempted to stop as there seemed to be a great deal of repetition/clarification. Bugbears were trying to discriminate between the various social media platforms used for accessing ROH material and having taken a green and red highlighter to draft advertising blurb then being asked to provide reasons.

It may be that the survey will be used for helping set prices for downloading future broadcasts and for seeking donations - the latter featured a great deal for the ROH and other organisations.

• Like 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

NYCB did one as well at the end of the NYCB Spring Digital Season - largely concentrating on the further development of digital services for the Company.  

I'm gladly you mentioned the NYCB Spring Digital Season, for me the highlight of the live-streaming we have all been enjoying, closely followed by other American Russian and German companies, given me the opportunity to experience material unavailable commercially - appropos of which I look forward to Scottish Ballet's Macmillan tonight:

Not to mention a superb performance by our National Theatre:

We are so blest.

Edited by David

1 hour ago, Balletfanp said:

i just asked this question on the ROH Instagram account on the post promoting the events, and they have replied to say they will be available on demand for 14 days.

Thanks for this, much appreciated 😊

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fonty said:

In which case, there are only a few simple questions that need to be asked.  Can you watch on line, what sort of ballet/opera would you like to see, and how much are you prepared to pay to see it?  Sounds pretty simple to me.  And yes, I have in the past been involved in qualitative analysis!

Ditto and I agree about the merits of simplicity.The survey would not let me proceed at one point because I didn’t rank educating my children as an answer because it doesn’t apply. The only way I could move on was to place it last of twelve.

But the reasons are immaterial. The nub of the matter is whether I would, or wouldn’t pay to watch streamed shows.

• Like 3

I was able to complete the whole survey and I'm very elderly, live in London and attend performances fairly regularly. But it took a long time and some choices e.g. educating my children , were irrelevant. As far as watching streamed performances is concerned, I would be happy to do this if the cost was reasonable. I pay approx £16 per month for the Vienna State opera and under normal circumstances this gives me three or four performances that I want to watch, plus usually a couple of free ones. However, the Vienna opera has a very large repertoire and generally offers around 12 operas plus the occasional ballet each month. The ROH could not do this.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

E-mail from the ROH - Can't make the booking link work though....

We shared the news with you that we would be returning to live performances within the Royal Opera House at the start of June. Live from Covent Garden is a series of concerts which will bring you performances from our beautiful auditorium once again. As a valued Friend, we are thrilled to offer you advance priority booking for this event.

Tickets for each performance are just £4.99 per household*. With £3 in every £5 of our income gone, we are at one of the most difficult times in the organisation’s long history. As Friends and loyal supporters, we hope you will enjoy these concerts and support us by buying tickets.

We are so delighted to be performing for you again.

Saturday 20 June, 7:30pm BST

This concert will feature a performance of Gustav Mahler’s Das Lied von der Erde by tenor David Butt Philip, mezzo-soprano Sarah Connolly and soloists of the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House. Written between 1908 and 1909, Das Lied von der Erde is a composition of six songs for two singers and orchestra.

Principal dancer of The Royal Ballet, Vadim Muntagirov, will perform Frederick Ashton’s Dance of the Blessed Spirits. Set to a lyrical score from Gluck’s Orfeo ed Euridice, the solo was initially created in 1978 for Anthony Dowell, former Principal and Director of The Royal Ballet, and is a showcase of balance and poise. The revival of this rarely seen work was facilitated by the Frederick Ashton Foundation’s series of  Ashton Rediscovered masterclasses.

Edited by oncnp

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, FionaE said:

Is anyone else having a problem buying a ticket?   My iPad is frozen at the point of purchase and I don’t know whether I have now bought a ticket or not!!!   

Me too - thought it was because I forgot my password but the one I input was right. 'Hopefully site is inundated and running slow 😀

Ok .  Two discoveries ....

1.  You have to join this stream.  It is not the same login as ROH (I used the same email address and password so it will feel the same to me)

2.  You cannot use the iPad auto-entry of any details (email, Postcode, credit card, etc).   Mine only worked when I typed each entry individually.   

We should have known anything technological wrt ROH would be backward.   In another life I want to live in Germany!

Guest oncnp
33 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Ok .  Two discoveries ....

Thanks! Worked perfectly. Would have been nice if they'd mentioned that you have to create a new account though. But as mentioned this the ROH....

In fairness, looking at the e- mail again they did mention that you had to create a Vimeo account in the small print at the bottom......

Here's the website

https://stream.roh.org.uk/products

Edited by oncnp

I've just read my  E-mail and am confused (my usual state these days), the first one is free, then £4.99 for the remainder, so you can't pay as you go, since the next one is Song of the Earth without the dancing I wouldn't want to see this if they paid me ;)

As for the questionnaire, I tried to complete it but came up against a blank page with lots of ticks, nothing more, this happened twice.

8 minutes ago, FionaE said:

We should have known anything technological wrt ROH would be backward.   In another life I want to live in Germany!

I found it really straightforward - much more so than most account creation/purchase processes.

I don't know what others had but for me everything was contained on a single brief page. Just email (twice for checking), password, card details and postcode, all in one go.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

I've just read my  E-mail and am confused (my usual state these days), the first one is free, then £4.99 for the remainder, so you can't pay as you go, since the next one is Song of the Earth without the dancing I wouldn't want to see this if they paid me ;)

As for the questionnaire, I tried to complete it but came up against a blank page with lots of ticks, nothing more, this happened twice.

As I understand it this Sat is free and the e-mail I received only pertains to the program on 20 June. The website has an option to buy for 27 June but no program yet announced. 

21 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

Beryl, the 20 June programme also includes Muntagirov dancing Ashton's Dance of the Blessed Spirits  which has been suggested as an item on this thread I think.

I am bewildered myself by much of the online culture we are now living  in, but I created an account and bought a ticket in less than one minute...amazing myself.

To me it is worth 4.99 to see him and I am very happy to give ROH 4.99,  indeed a lot more than that to try to keep going and give Vadim and all the other dancers a chance to perform on the stage again.

• Like 4

I have not had any experience with vimeo - can anyone advise please - having bought a ticket, will this second concert be a one-off watch during an actual performance or, does it remain available for further watching, and if so, for how long?

Here's the information I got, David ..

Access
You can watch Live from Covent Garden via the link in your confirmation email or by logging into your Vimeo account. Live from Covent Garden will also be available in your Vimeo Library for 14 days after the event.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to all three streams,  although from the programme details announced, so far,  I am a bit fearful that  ballet may be limited to no more than one dance, as an interlude in an evening mainly of opera.

I hope ways will be found of increasing the ballet content, but of course  I may  find myself becoming an opera fan....!

• Like 1

I got this and have just booked and found the process quick and easy. 

I love both of the items.  Das Lied is amazingly beautiful and the last song (Abschied) always makes me cry. 

Also I'd pay to see Vadim do anything at all, he's so exquisitely perfect in motion and has the loveliest smile.  I always pick the nights he's performing if I possibly can because he is so pleasing to watch.    

• Like 7

I tend to separate off Mahler's great orchestral song cycle Das Lied von der Erde from Macmillan's equally fine setting of it in his Song of the Earth and it seems a slightly odd choice for an opera house, apart from the Macmillan link - it has of course attracted the greatest soloists and orchestras and I am a little apprehensive about the thought of a skeleton orchestra - which is what I assume is meant by "soloists of the Orchestra".  But I have enormous faith in Sir Tony and I have heard and admired Dame Sarah Connelly many times, David Butt Philip only the once, and am sure they will both rise to it. And of course, the opportunity to see Vadim in the Ashton piece is very, very special. Not to be missed!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, David said:

I tend to separate off Mahler's great orchestral song cycle Das Lied von der Erde from Macmillan's equally fine setting of it in his Song of the Earth and it seems a slightly odd choice for an opera house, apart from the Macmillan link - it has of course attracted the greatest soloists and orchestras and I am a little apprehensive about the thought of a skeleton orchestra - which is what I assume is meant by "soloists of the Orchestra".  But I have enormous faith in Sir Tony and I have heard and admired Dame Sarah Connelly many times, David Butt Philip only the once, and am sure they will both rise to it. And of course, the opportunity to see Vadim in the Ashton piece is very, very special. Not to be missed!

I heard, a year or so ago, the chamber music version of this. I rather enjoyed it and it's probably a bit kinder to the singers! Could be interesting and the chance to hear proper live music is much to be welcomed. The streamed Wigmore Hall concerts are becoming a bit of a lifeline!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, oncnp said:

If you'd like a preview...Ashton Foundation Sept 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=780&v=nnN7XWf0CxQ

I was there and what a privilege it was. Vadim’s wonderful dancing combined with Dowell’s insightful coaching, all up close, was an afternoon to remember. I always hoped to see Vadim dancing it live one day..... well, it won’t be live exactly, but I’ll settle for it for the time being!

• Like 2