In difficult times when we need a laugh (or our spirits uplifting)...

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this brings about laughter, but certainly it made me smile.  I just tripped over this as I was preparing a film segment for yet another prison session.  I've always thought that James Hay - one of my favourite RB dancers - resembled - in a variety of ways - a young Chaplin.  Here's a film of Churchill visiting the set of Chaplin's City Lights in 1929.  In it you get to see Chaplin (then a sprightly 40) do some pretty mean entrechats (circa 1.27)!   I just knew it.  Queue James for a close up methinks. :) 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, alison said:

Actually, that's quite fascinating, too.  I'd never before registered just how much bows varied according to ballet and location, and how important the use of the eyes is! 

Reverencing to the Presence and partner is a thing in historical dance, removal of hat, shuffling around, putting hat back on. Not too dissimilar to salutes in fencing.

Edited by Alexander

• 3 weeks later...

Did yet another Zoom session with the lads inside, (my 146th since May of this year), and used W B Yeats' incendiary sonnet, Leida and the Swan, as a lift off point to inspire their imaginations.  In the recording I made for this purpose I used the opening of the primary Agon PDD to feed;  being  rich - as it so clearly is - with Balanchine's considerable poetic fire.  The original cast of Diana Adams and Arthur Mitchell were just SO engrossing.  The lads asked to see this little film three different times which really touched me.  One of the chaps said it was 'the most beautiful thing I've ever seen'.  They wanted to know where they could see it live.  I do so hope the Royal does Agon again soon.  If these guys are anything to go by, they could have a whole new audience.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

(A word of warning in reference to my video clip above - if you are listening to/watching this on a mobile/cell phone or tablet - you will need to reduce the volume by at least a third.  If you are on an old PC - as in the prison system - you can leave it as is.  Technology has yet to achieve maximum equalisation in all quarters I've found.  It promises to get there soon, I'm sure.)  

I would like to share another verse lift-off video with you.  I created it this morning.  It means a lot to me.  I was 23 at the time and had the great good fortune to be in the room when these two dance sequences were conceived.  (I won't go into the how or why here.  If you want to know I will happily tell you.)  It is something I will NEVER forget.  Certainly it changed my life.  I earnestly believe that I would not - nay, could not - do the work I do now if I hadn't been there.  As I often tell the guys inside I learned SO much from Balanchine - a Shakespeare of our time (i.e., someone who created a language).  He had intended this to be his last ballet - but lived a little bit longer and gave our lucky world 'Mozartiana' as well, his 420th work.  His genius rightly deserves that of Yeats.    

(A word of warning in reference to my video clip above - if you are listening to/watching this on a mobile/cell phone or tablet - you will need to reduce the volume by at least a third.  If you are on an old PC - as in the prison system - you can leave it as is.  Technology has yet to achieve maximum equalisation in all quarters I've found.  It promises to get there soon, I'm sure.)  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this thread carries on after Covid, smiles are always good.

This is a piece by one of the world's greatest finger-pickin' style guitarists. It's royalty free as it was made as a tribute to Rock guitarist Eddie Van Halen, but it's played on an accoustic guitar. 

Mike Dawes, playing his arrangement of Jump

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RosiesDream said:

Although it's ballet [?]  I thought I'd post this link here, Bolshoi's Nikolay Tsiskaridze as the Sylph. He make a pretty good job, of it too, although not necessarily a pretty Sylph

Ha ha, excellent!  I love artists who are willing to join in fun and not take themselves so seriously.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd share as the gathering gloom of Omicron descends.

Teacher uses French terminology so with the resumption of real class (good fun) I was struggling with one particular reference in class for feet movement "carre parque". Took me several weeks to realise the foot to be moved was the one nearest the car park. Erm... DOH!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Idly chatting while walking the dogs, DH and I were reminiscing about some of the dreadful shows we have sat through and came up with the most exciting event we could imagine. "Waiting for Godot - the musical", choreography by Steve Paxton to music by John Cage (4 minutes silence on continuous loop)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Idly chatting while walking the dogs, DH and I were reminiscing about some of the dreadful shows we have sat through and came up with the most exciting event we could imagine. "Waiting for Godot - the musical", choreography by Steve Paxton to music by John Cage (4 minutes silence on continuous loop)

Shame.  😊

Now let's move on to friendlier waters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sim said:

The intro sounds more like Never On Sunday!  😂

And....

Pot-Pourri (Banda Cover versão completa) - Rivers of Babylon - Sugar Sugar - More Than I Can Say - Forever and Ever - Mississippi - Guantanamera - Kiss Me, Honey Honey, Kiss Me - Jeany Ich Brauch' Dich

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...