Royal Ballet Promotions Predictions 2019

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

Delighted; but how could it be made public like this? If The Times were given an immediate interview with him, surely it was with an embargo?

I guess The Times is to blame here and they clearly did not respect the embargo. Surely they were told not to publish the interview until the RB's official announcement of all the  promotions. 

Just now, Xandra Newman said:

I guess The Times is to blame here and they clearly did not respect the embargo. Surely they were told not to publish the interview until the RB's official announcement of all the  promotions. 

I’m not so sure - they certainly complied with the season announcement embargo, even after the ROH had managed to leak the information themselves.

Why was Sambe told so much earlier than everyone else?  And more to the point, why was he then giving interviews to the press about it?

Surely he would also have been asked to keep quiet about it until the official announcement?  

5 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Why was Sambe told so much earlier than everyone else?  And more to the point, why was he then giving interviews to the press about it?

Surely he would also have been asked to keep quiet about it until the official announcement?  

I imagine the interview was arranged by the ROH press people themselves.

13 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Let's not go bandying around blame here when none of us is in possession of the facts.  Someone somewhere has cocked-up and that's all we know.  Let's just be happy for Sambé and get on with it.

Speaking personally, I wasn't bandying blame around.  I am certain it wasn't Sambe's fault, and I feel a bit sorry for him that an announcement like this has been slightly tainted.  

• Like 1

By the way, the performances of Don Quixote in Tokyo originally supposed to be Takada/ McRae were sold out (as well as the opening night and the 2 galas) so they did not have to boost ticket sales.

• Like 1

Here's a radical thought: the announcement of Sambé's [deserved, inevitable and welcome] promotion was deliberately timed for before the Japanese tour, certainly the size and location of the printed article do not appear to indicate a stuff-up, in fact I wouldn't mind betting that The Times was carefully given an exclusive. Certainly in this day and age it is doubtful that the article would have been as prominent if the company press release had already been in the public domain.

I am also guessing here, but in the general announcement of promotions, joiners and leavers, some well-deserved moves in the lower ranks may go less noticed by the wider public with a more passive interest in dance in the excitement of who might have been promoted to principal. Perhaps this is an attempt at making those promotions more prominent?

9 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

I am also guessing here, but in the general announcement of promotions, joiners and leavers, some well-deserved moves in the lower ranks may go less noticed by the wider public with a more passive interest in dance in the excitement of who might have been promoted to principal. Perhaps this is an attempt at making those promotions more prominent?

I doubt it. The RB is so incredibly busy at the moment that any kind of subterfuge must be very far from their minds.

22 hours ago, Sim said:

They have clearly had to rush out this press release due to the original cock up.   What a farce, and a shame for the other dancers.  

It is. I am totally delighted for Sambe and cannot think of anyone more deserving of a promotion to principal but it does rather give the impression that any other promotions are of no real importance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

I thought you had already?

But I think this was on the Marcelino Sambe ‘congratulations’ thread and there was a suggestion (from balletbangorboy) that promotion wishes etc should be posted on the ‘predictions’ page.

• Like 3

On 08/06/2019 at 17:20, penelopesimpson said:

my thought too, Capybara.  They don't need another female Principal and I guess Corrales will be the next male, I hope.  But  if they are going to use Halberg a lot, that cuts out the need.

I also so hope so re Corrales. Perhaps it depends who, if anyone (other than Soares), is leaving the principal ranks this year. 

Sambe timing was presumably because of Japan. 

• Like 1

Possibly but was Bracewell a Principal already with BRB and dropped a rank to join the main company? 

I feel that barring further serious injury etc Corrales could get promoted sooner rather than later because of his being a former Principal already with ENB

Just now, LinMM said:

Possibly but was Bracewell a Principal already with BRB and dropped a rank to join the main company? 

I feel that barring further serious injury etc Corrales could get promoted sooner rather than later because of his being a former Principal already with ENB

No, William Bracewell left BRB as a soloist.

9 hours ago, alison said:

I thought you had already?

Yes I had, but I put it in the wrong thread and was effectively admonished!

Edit - I see JohnS has already leapt to my defence!

Edited by Richard LH
Seen an earlier post

My comment by the way  is around possible technical contract type issues not around the two dancers abilities! 

I haven't seen enough of Bracewell performing yet but friends who have like him a lot!

I do know I've seen enough of Caesar to think he should be heading in Principal direction but will book to see more of Bracewell next year if possible.

I suppose though you could say that Bracewell has been a member of the Royal in one form or another for longer! Maybe that counts for something too....in the technicalities of contracts sense at least!! 

2 hours ago, HappyTurk said:

I'm not yet sold on Corrales' artistic presence. So I think he needs a bit more time developing it. 

In which case, you didn't see his jaw dropping appearances with ENB: his  Hilarion in Khan's Giselle, his Albrecht in Skeaping's Giselle; his Birbanto in Le Corsaire; his Young Man in Le Jeune Homme - all amazing and completely different from his Solor and his Romeo with the RB. And the fact that his Romeo was so completely different from anything else he has done served to show what an artist Cesar is.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, capybara said:

In which case, you didn't see his jaw dropping appearances with ENB: his  Hilarion in Khan's Giselle, his Albrecht in Skeaping's Giselle; his Birbanto in Le Corsaire; his Young Man in Le Jeune Homme - all amazing and completely different from his Solor and his Romeo with the RB. And the fact that his Romeo was so completely different from anything else he has done served to show what an artist Cesar is.

I was just going to mention 'Jeune Homme'!

3 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Corrales is streets ahead of Bracewell, wonde fuel though he is.  Sometimes charisma must b3 the deciding factor.

Having seen William Bracewell dance a lot during his time at BRB I would have to say that he is a very different dancer to Corrales.  After his debut as Romeo my friends were surprised to say the least when I said he was the best Romeo I have ever seen in the MacMillan production and possibly any other production I have seen.  His duet with Yvette Knight in Miracle in the Gorbals just took my breath away and he scintillated in Elite Syncopations to name but 3 roles.

Both these young gentlemen are worthy of promotion.

• Like 12

On 11/06/2019 at 17:29, capybara said:

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. Certainly, I believe he will be a principal at the Royal Ballet in the near future (perhaps it will take two years?) But I do think he has room to develop his presence (which isn't a surprise considering he is quite young). 

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 2

On 11/06/2019 at 20:12, HappyTurk said:

I'm not yet sold on Corrales' artistic presence. So I think he needs a bit more time developing it. 

So I am guessing you didn't see his Romeo either .... especially the last one, not sure how much more artistic presence it would have been possible to show. 

• Like 5