The Royal Ballet: Romeo and Juliet, Spring 2019

12 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I love the ballet itself but it always bothers me that nowhere does it hint that Friar Laurence sent a message to Romeo to explain the situation, but it never reaches him - to me, quite a crucial point. It does explain it in the synopsis but there is no indication of it in the ballet itself. But that’s just me nit-picking!

Β 

It bothers me too. Am I right in remembering that the Nureyev version fills in the gap?

• Like 3

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Β 

It bothers me too. Am I right in remembering that the Nureyev version fills in the gap?

Yes, Nureyev shows Friar Laurence handing a letter to a friar to deliver to Romeo and then addsΒ a scene to show him being killed by rogue soldiers on his way.Β  Nureyev also added a scene showing Benvolio reaching Romeo to tell him Juliet is dead.Β  Nureyev really did try to follow Shakespeare's play as closely as possible - even more so than Prokofiev!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Beatriz is doing brilliantly πŸ™‚

Β 

Agree. Her expressive joy in the balcony pas de deux seemed to radiateΒ both for the love of her Romeo and for her ownΒ milestone of this debut.Β 

• Like 4

Finance, or the lack of it, and the promise to accompany my ballet going friend who has been ill, means that my one visit to R and J is the final one. Intrigued as to who I shall see, apart from Naghdi and Ball, and thoroughly enjoying everyone's comments.Β 

3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Meanwhile there is an ''embarrassment of riches' for the role of Juliet.

Β 

For me, especially for this ballet,Β I choose the debuts. It is magical to watchΒ a dancer bring to lifeΒ a role they haveΒ dreamt about their whole career and worked so hard to achieve.Β 

Β 

Beatriz Stix-Brunell was beautiful tonight. I left totally inspired by herΒ (though I had some tears from Juliet’sΒ emotion).Β 

Β 

And,Β as a serendipitous bonus, I was sitting next to her brother. Beaming with pride as you’d imagine

• Like 4

Well, there you go, you never can tell what a visit to the ballet will deliver. I originally booked tonight's ticket because Will Bracewell was dancing Romeo (so sad he wasn't) but decided to stick with it and go anyway - not a difficult decision really.

I came away having witnessed a delightful Juliet debut from Beatrix Stix-Brunell who managed to bring freshness and much joy to the role. My best Juliet yet! (I haven't seen them all BTW).
I had a brief conversation with Ryoichi Hirano last week and he said tonight was all about Beatrix, which I thought was a lovely sentiment, so remembering that, I decided to concentrate on Beatrix. I was near the stage so could see the multitude of expressions which passed through her face right from the first minute she came on stage.Β  It was immediately different from any other Juliet, and continued to be so as she met Romeo and fell in love: so much characterisation. I've never seen this in Beatrix before, but perhaps she hasn't had the chance to ever show it.

Her dancing was exemplary too and she definitely benefitted from Rio's very secure partnering (contrast Corrales/ Hayward). The balcony pdd was delightful.Β  A lovely debut.

Β 

The rest of the case did not stand out for me as on Saturday (either performance). Nothing wrong at all and I thoroughly enjoyed it: there just wasn't the electricity, especially between the 3 leading males and Tybalt. Β 

Β 

So, well done Beatrix and let's hope she gets further chances to impress us. Β  Β Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 9

Every time I’ve seen BeatrizΒ dance, up until now only in soloist type roles, she’s always drawn my eye. So I was really desperate to see her dance Juliet andΒ I’m so glad I did. Her innocence, overwhelming love for Romeo and desperation were so incredibly portrayed. She grew from childish and shy to determined. Her artistry was beautiful and Hirano supported her wonderfully. I’ve never really watched him properly but tonight I really enjoyed his interpretation of Romeo and felt his growth as he matured as he met Juliet, who he supported wonderfully with beautiful partnering. It was a stunning performance.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Having looked up Tissi on the Bolshoi websiteΒ https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/persons/ballet/3575/Β Romeo isn't mebtioned in his repertoire but it is in the bio that's now up for him on the ROH website so presumably he's added it recently, as the Bolshoi rep list only goes up to 2018. Born 1995 - he's certainly a lot younger than Nunez! He looks the part alright. However I wonder why, given Clarke got injured a month and a half ago, they didn't get one of the other RB men to learn the role? Surely a dancer can learn a leadingΒ role in that time?

I seem to remember reading that he was at La Scala before Bolshoi - so wouldn't he be familiar with Macmillan's R&J from there?

Edited by Sharon
Typo

What a debut from Beatriz Stix-Brunell! Ably supported and partnered by a strong, ardent Romeo from Ryoichi Hirano. Stix-Brunell was riveting, right from the start. Every moment it was clear what she was thinking and feeling. She was so young and bouncy and jumpy in the first scene; more puzzled than anything by Paris's attention. And when she sees Romeo at the ball, again she's puzzled, confused, stunnedΒ - she has no idea what's happening to her. Then the joy comes, and her lightness and expansiveness and abandonment - physical and emotional - are thrilling. Only gradually, as the terrible tale unfolds, does she begin to take charge of herself and her situation, in spite of her grief and fear. Her dancing throughout was so expressive, with every detail vivid and individual. In the last act,Β she wasΒ the most believably 'dead' Juliet I've ever seen as she slipped out of Romeo's desperate arms; and when she woke up and realised where she was, she all but fell off the tombΒ in her shock. A stunning performance.

• Like 16

6 hours ago, RuthE said:

Β 

Reece Clarke’s height makes him very hard to replace. All the other tall possibilities are surely either all overcommitted already, no longer dancing the role, or appearing in their own scheduled performances too close to the dates Clarke was scheduled for.

Β Is the problem that the RB have very few medium height capableΒ men - with Bracewell injured. Β Corrales is already dancing with Hayward after his long injury break. Β The rest are mostly short -SambΓ©, Dyer, Zucchetti, Hay, Acri, Ella, Kay. Β  There is Nicol Edmonds and also Calvin Richardson (both untried in full-length) and no others in the soloists pack. Β Tough to ask NuΓ±ez to perform possibly her last Juliet with a complete beginner?

Edited by FionaE
Typo!
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FionaE said:

β€œ Β  There is Nicol Edmonds and also Calvin Richardson (both untried in full-length) and no others in the soloists pack”. Β 

Β 

Hopefully next time R & J comes round Edmonds and Richardson will have the chance to debut as Romeo. Although I can also picture Edmonds as Tybalt , he certainly can act well . His Benvolio was very characterful and well danced and I’ve already given my view on his Paris . And both Edmonds and Richardson are tall.

49 minutes ago, JohnS said:

AgreedΒ Bridie - fabulous photos and flowers. Β And I hope very much there’ll be some photos from tonight! Β I don’t recall seeing any from Saturday’s matinee.

Β 

Frankie posted this....

Β 

FH CC.jpg

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, JohnS said:

AgreedΒ Bridie - fabulous photos and flowers. Β And I hope very much there’ll be some photos from tonight! Β I don’t recall seeing any from Saturday’s matinee.

Β 

You are searching Instagram for pics aren't you? There were some very nice ones from the matinee if you search for #rohromeo

• Like 1

Many thanks Richard and Rob - I’ve seen some matinee photos on Instagram but I don’tΒ recall any quite as good as Rob’s two above. Β A friend very kindly let me have a copy of a video of the curtain call/bouquet presentations and I was really just encouraging people for tonight.

10 hours ago, alison said:

But that was what they were asking her to do, in effect!

Β 

Reece Clarke is not as much a beginner as anyone else would be, he has been partnering principals for some time and taking lead roles. Β Sylvia, Nutcracker, Manon, Two Pigeons, etc

Β 

So hardly Β untried inΒ a full length

Β 

Β 

Edited by FionaE
Add to list of principal roles

4 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Reece Clarke is not as much a beginner as anyone else would be, he has been partnering principals for some time and taking lead roles. Β Sylvia, Nutcracker, Manon, Two Pigeons, etc

Β 

So hardly Β untried inΒ a full length

Β 

Yes, but untried as Romeo - which admittedly is a very tough role.

7 hours ago, betterankles said:

So (all those men off), maybe someone should look at whether all that β€˜injury prevention’ cross training is as beneficial as they believe...

Β 

Maybe, although of course it depends on whether the ones who are injured are the ones who've been participating or not.Β  Plus of course some of the women are doing it as well.

• Like 1

So that’s 3 unplanned male guest principals in last 2 months. Β Or have I missed someone

Β 

Camargo for Don Q with Fumi.

TimΒ Andrijashenko for R&J with Melissa Hamilton

Jacopo Tissi for R&J with NuΓ±ez

Β 

Does anyone know why Bonelli or Kish could not have done some of these? Β 

I know Bonelli has been guesting at La Scala. Β 

I’m assuming Ed Watson is not over his injury yet.

26 minutes ago, FionaE said:

So that’s 3 unplanned male guest principals in last 2 months. Β Or have I missed someone

Β 

Camargo for Don Q with Fumi.

TimΒ Andrijashenko for R&J with Melissa Hamilton

Jacopo Tissi for R&J with NuΓ±ez

Β 

Does anyone know why Bonelli or Kish could not have done some of these? Β 

I know Bonelli has been guesting at La Scala. Β 

I’m assuming Ed Watson is not over his injury yet.

Β 

Bonelli is on sabbatical for the 18/19 season (excepting Mayerling and Frankenstein) while he takes part in the Clore Leadership Programme.