The Royal Ballet: Romeo and Juliet, Spring 2019

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I share your thoughts, Standing Ticket, although I must confess I have not yet seen this run of R& J.  Like yourself, I am a huge fan of Muntagirov who truly is the dream dancer, but he has never moved me.  I am not Lamb's biggest fan as I find her cold so the combination of these two is not, for me, a natural fit in such a dramatic piece.  I have chosen to see Hayward & Corrales and Naghdi and Ball because I need the emotional connection.  There is a tendency to think Muntagirov can do everything and, in a sense, he can.  But I prefer him in less dramatic roles where seemingly effortless technique and sheer niceness are the major requirement.

• Like 1

I tend to disagree about Muntagirov. He is the most wonderful dancer, of course, but I also find him extremely moving in more dramatic roles, largely because his acting is very natural (which I generally find more convincing). I think he is almost typecast in princely/classical roles, and that’s a shame because he is capable of so much more. I found him and Lamb heartbreaking in Manon, and I still haven’t recovered from Winter Dreams when, besides the spectacular dancing one would expect from him in this role, he delivered a performance so full of emotion and passion that it left me breathless. I only felt tearful about it when recalling it later but that was because, at the actual performance, it was almost too much - I felt almost as though I couldn’t take it in at the time, but it is etched on my memory forever. Amazing.

I also think he and Lamb are a good fit in these types of roles. I don’t find her at all cold. But that’s just my opinion 🙂. I’d like to see him with different and younger partners occasionally - Hayward springs to mind, or Naghdi in classical roles. I hope it will happen at some point, much as I love him with Nunez.

Anyway, I am seeing Muntagirov and Lamb in R&J next Saturday, along with Hayward/Corrales in the matinee, so it should be a double show day of interesting contrasts!

Edited by Balletfanp
  • Like 10

I think that what makes Lamb and Muntagirov so exceptional for me is their humility; they give themselves entirely to dancing the role, to dancing classical ballet, to the highest possible standard, without imposing anything of themselves on it. That doesn't mean they aren't expressive, but they give precedence to the choreography and the art form, not to themselves. Unlike (say) Osipova (and I am a huge fan of hers - this isn't a criticism), who is incapable of not imposing her personality on a role. So L & M showcase what classical ballet is, for me, and the sheer beauty and transcendence of the art form.

• Like 17

It's not that I don't find Muntagirov more than capable of dancing dramatic roles - both his Winter Dreams and his Armand were extremely moving and I can still evoke them in my minds eye. Hence my high expectations of his Romeo (despite being left a little disappointed by his Des Grieux - which at the time I attributed to my own frame of mind, as bridiem alludes to above). It just somehow felt like the choreography didn't 'sit' so well on him as on others I've seen (sambe most recently) , which is also how I remember feeling with the Des Grieux solos in Manon... 

• Like 2

My thoughts on Wednesday evening’s performance- R and J is one of my favourite ballets, I’ve seen many productions over the years, and on Wednesday evening it felt completely fresh, as if I was watching it for the first time. I thought Vadim Muntagirov gave a beautifully layered performance: all the aspects of Romeo’s complex character were there – sensitivity, gentleness, love for his family, playfulness, impulsiveness, ardour, fury. Sarah Lamb was heart-breaking for me from her first entrance, so sweet and shy at first, but then blossoming to a passion matching that of Romeo’s. The balcony pas de deux and the marriage ceremony in particular had me in tears at the poignancy of what was to come. Lamb was superb when confronting her family after being told she is to marry Paris, and when she pondered taking the potion I actually felt sick – never before had that music felt so ominous. The staging of Juliet’s family at her tomb, in tandem with Prokofiev’s piercing music felt unutterably sad, and Romeo and Juliet’s respective deaths almost too much. I will hold this wonderful performance in my memory for a long time. I must add that the whole cast were superb, I felt really fortunate to see Marcelino Sambe’s dazzling Mercutio, and really enjoyed the interplay between Romeo, Benvolio and Mercutio. Bravo to all concerned, not forgetting the orchestra who were on absolutely top form. By the way, I was in a side amphi seat, row C - very happy with my view.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

They look really touching together.  Vadim has such a sweet face

I think Lamb does too. I always think she looks like a beautiful porcelain doll, so delicate.

Did anyone see Hamilton/Andrijashenko's second performance? I'd be interested in any comments. I gather from Instagram that it was Avis rather than Kish as Tybalt, so evidently having one set of Mercutio/Benvolio/Tybalt per Romeo isn't always happening.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I think Lamb does too. I always think she looks like a beautiful porcelain doll, so delicate.

I have described Lamb to people before in just those words, Dawnstar. She always seems to me every little girl’s idea of the perfect ballerina with regard to how she looks 🙂.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I have described Lamb to people before in just those words, Dawnstar. She always seems to me every little girl’s idea of the perfect ballerina with regard to how she looks 🙂.

I completely agree. For me both Lamb & Hamilton look "right" as dancers. I know that dancers come with all sorts of looks but those two look how I as a child thought ballerinas should look. (Admittedly my childhood views on ballet were fairly shallow: I remember back in the mid 90s when the media positioned Bussell & Durante as rivals I preferred Durante because I thought Viviana Durante was a much better name for a ballerina than Darcey Bussell!)

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Did anyone see Hamilton/Andrijashenko's second performance? I'd be interested in any comments. I gather from Instagram that it was Avis rather than Kish as Tybalt, so evidently having one set of Mercutio/Benvolio/Tybalt per Romeo isn't always happening.

Kish was in Madrid guesting with Itziar Mendizabal. 

36 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

She’s extremely intelligent too; a very “thinking” dancer.  I’m always fascinated to hear her speak about her approach to Juliet, Manon et al because she really does her research into her character’s story and background.  

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Sim said:

Kish was in Madrid guesting with Itziar Mendizabal. 

Yes, I saw that. Presumably Kish will be appearing in the Nunez/Clarke performances later this month. If not then it seems a bit odd to put him in a cast where he can only make 1 of the 2 performances.

On 30/04/2019 at 22:14, Lizbie1 said:

Yes - but for me it would be like comparing apples with pears, just as recordings can't tell me what a singer really sounds like.

ETA: one dancer who I very much enjoy watching from the amphi, but who I enjoy less on film is Marianela Nunez, who has an occasional habit of working her jaw ina sort of "chattering" motion, particularly in the more intense passages: I can overlook it in the theatre, but I find a bit distracting in close-up. I don't know it's intentional or even conscious.

"Working her jaw in a sort of "chattering" motion" 

What do you mean???

I have to say I've never noticed anything wrong with Marianela's jaw - not that I've spent time studying it.

23 minutes ago, Sharon said:

"Working her jaw in a sort of "chattering" motion" 

What do you mean???

I have to say I've never noticed anything wrong with Marianela's jaw - not that I've spent time studying it.

Sorry, I don’t know how better to describe it, but I’ve observed it on a number of occasions. (I don’t normally fixate on dancers’ jaws either, but once you notice a mannerism it’s hard to stop picking up on it.) If you haven’t noticed it, that’s good: there’s no point in others getting distracted by it too, so I won’t be seeking out clips as evidence!

Oh dear!  I cannot say I have ever noticed this with Marianela, but once someone points out a particular mannerism, no matter how tiny, it is sometimes difficult to forget.  I hope I don't subconsciously start looking for it. 

On 05/05/2019 at 19:50, Dawnstar said:

Did anyone see Hamilton/Andrijashenko's second performance? I'd be interested in any comments. 

I too was hoping someone would post a report of their performance together on Saturday night. Melissa has reposted an image on her Instagram account which I think bangorballetboy took of the curtain call. It is a lovely photo showing a clearly emotional Melissa. 

Afraid I wasn't at the Saturday evening performance but I did really enjoy the matinee. Despite slight reservations the first time I saw Vadim as Romeo in the last run I thought he was really tremendous on Saturday. As someone said previously he and Sarah Lamb take you through all the emotions and technical expertise of the roles without their personalities taking over and distracting you from their wonderful performances. After seeing this performance and the Sambe/O'Sullivan one I'm even beginning to like the ballet! Vadim was so happy when in love, his smile really lit up the stage and conveyed the joy of young love. I thought fleetingly if he came to my part of the world and harnessed that smile to the national grid there would be no need for fracking and the only earth tremors would be caused by his passion! His style and elegance and Sarah's passion and acting skills made for a brillian combination. Also it was a joy to see Sambe  as a wonderful, expressive, energetic Mercutio, one of the best I've seen since Northern Ballet's Jeremy Kerridge. Finally, Theo Dubreill (?) was a wonderful Benvolio. before seeing him I always thought Benvolio rather a boring role but I never realised there was so much in it. I didn't realise he seemed to initiate the street fight in the first act and actually took on Tybalt. Also he was wonderfully mischievous in the ballroom scene, going in between couples and then 'apologising'. Bravo to everyone for a really great performance.

I have to say I think my enjoyment was heightened by where I sat in side amphi. (C92) I was very close to the stage and thought I would miss a lot but it wasn't too bad at all and these days I often find it pays to miss a bit of the action but being close up to the drama and being able to see facial expresions clearer. That said. for this ballet I think if you're being close to the stgae on the 3rd row it is better to be on the left side though these seats sell quicker and probably weren't available for public booking.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing Hayward/Coralles and Naghdi/Ball.

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Finally, Theo Dubreill (?) was a wonderful Benvolio. before seeing him I always thought Benvolio rather a boring role but I never realised there was so much in it. 

Now I'm looking forward to seeing Hayward/Coralles and Naghdi/Ball.

Lovely review!

It's Teo Dubreuil (and Corrales).

I loved watching Teo Dubreuil as Benvolio. I thought his performance very impressive; wonderfully centred and clean with a good dose of personality and great acting skills. I’d be thrilled to see him as Romeo one day. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Thalia said:

I loved watching Teo Dubreuil as Benvolio. I thought his performance very impressive; wonderfully centred and clean with a good dose of personality and great acting skills. I’d be thrilled to see him as Romeo one day. 

Finally - he's waited long enough!

• Like 2

I thought he and Muntagirov complemented each other very nicely.

Haven't got much time at the moment, but I thought there was a lot to like in Saturday's matinee.  I particularly liked the portrayal of a couple of adolescents swept away by events and having to grow up very quickly.

BTW, a couple of £50-odd seats for Naghdi/Ball currently on the website!

• Like 1

I had vaguely assumbed before the run started that there would be approximately as many Mercutios as Romeos & Juliets but it doesn't seem to be working out that way at all. So far, from who I've seen & reports on this thread, there's been:

Ball/Cuthbertson - Zuchetti

Hirano/Takada - Hay

Sambe/O'Sullivan - Acri

Andrijashenko/Hamilton - Zuchetti

Muntagirov/Lamb - Sambe

Forthcoming

Corrales/Hayward - Sambe (on Hayward's Instgram today)

Then presumably Zuchetti & Hay are scheduled appear again with Ball & Hirano with their second Juliets. Which leaves only Hallberg & possibly Clarke (who may have Zuchetti given he was in Clarke's cancelled performances) for any potential other Mercutios. Is is usual to have perhaps only 4 Mercutios compared to 7 or 8 Romeos and 10 Juliets?