News: Royal Ballet Promotions 2018/19

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

Meanwhile, on another thread, there is news that a Mariinsky graduate - Davide Loricchio - is joining the RB.

Yes - he has been granted a PDL prize after another candidate chose not to use it - so presumably he will be the PDL dancer for the next season?

A post on this thread has been hidden because it contains information that does not seem to be in the public domain.

Just to remind everyone that news about dancers' private lives is not allowed unless it is in the public domain.

I agree completely with above, I think progression in the ranks is a lot to do with the type of dancer you are, height, build, how useful you are to certain roles coming up as much as it is technical ability. We know too that fast learners and people who can step up at short notice are very useful. Heap seems to be a very useful dancer who fills the ‘tall girl’ roles well. I suppose partners need to be thought about in terms of height. I liked cuthbertson/Clarke partnership very much, I believe he will be principal soon, he’s still very young, there’s no rush.

5 minutes ago, AlisonS35 said:

Heap seems to be a very useful dancer who fills the ‘tall girl’ roles well. 

She certainly has a formidable presence and I can see her as a future principal character artist, if she does not make a straight principal.

9 hours ago, capybara said:

I have been watching Sae Maeda (another Aud Jebsen who now has a full contract). She is really lovely and, I think, she has served as Takada's double.

Sae Maeda was Takada's double, and she caught my eye instantly in the corps.  Gorgeous expressive dancer and from her Prix de Lausanne variations looks strong technically.  I see her going very far.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Springbourne3 said:

Yes - she’s joining the Joffrey Ballet it would seem

I am sorry to hear this - as I was really enjoying watching her development at the RB.  That said when I saw the Joffrey in Paris this month they looked in truly excellent shape and have a fine rep.  I will look foward to seeing Ms Stock with them in New York in November.  

8 hours ago, alison said:

I was trying to recall what significant roles Magri took on this last year.  Can anyone help, please?

They would include (but I'm sure not be restricted to) the role/solo in The Illustrated Farewell; Myrthe; a role in Corybantic Games; and one of Siegfried's sisters in Swan Lake.

• Like 1

Really pleased for all the dancers who have been promoted. Big fan of Matthew Ball, and surely also big things ahead for William Bracewell. 

I’m quite surprised not to see more of the promoting of a dancer to principal in the news links considering the coverage that Yasmine Naghdi had last year, and Hayward/Takada/Campbell/Hirano the previous year. Is it only The Times who’ve written about this? 

20 minutes ago, Riva said:

I’m quite surprised not to see more of the promoting of a dancer to principal in the news links considering the coverage that Yasmine Naghdi had last year, and Hayward/Takada/Campbell/Hirano the previous year. Is it only The Times who’ve written about this? 

Maybe now that it hasn't been what seemed like a million years since any internal RB promotions to principal, as was the case prior to Hayward/Takada/Campbell/Hirano, the non-ballet-focused media aren't as excited about it any more... :mellow:

It may also be worth noting that, according to the Nutcracker documentary, Magri was the cover for Sugar Plum Fairy the year Hayward and Naghdi made their debuts. Last year, she danced Giselle opposite Soares in Brazil. Currently, she is preparing to dance the Romeo and Juliet balcony pas de deux with Acri for a gala in Japan. I've also seen a tweet suggesting that she was cover for Odette/Odile.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Livia said:

One cannot but wonder whether the parlous onus on political correctness which has infested our society like a plague was behind the media attention, and indeed the promotions of several, forgive me, but I cannot for the life of me see the point or share the excitement in watching several of the most recent promoted dance.

I have a feeling you'll be in a minority of one (or, certainly, very few) there.  Ah well, more tickets for the rest of us.

I think we'll soon have Godwin's Law expanded to cover political correctness!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Livia said:

One cannot but wonder whether the parlous onus on political correctness which has infested our society like a plague was behind the media attention, and indeed the promotions of several, forgive me, but I cannot for the life of me see the point or share the excitement in watching several of the most recent promoted dance.

I’m hoping that I’ve misunderstood your post and that you did not intend to criticise either the appointments or those promoted, but that is an inference that might be drawn from your post. 

I’m also hopeful that you didn’t mean to suggest that an awareness or sensitivity to other people’s feelings or the other areas that have led to these developments should or could be described as a plague-like infestation of either the ballet world or society in general. 

• Like 2

On 13/07/2018 at 15:39, aliceinwoolfland said:

10 female first soloists and only 4 male  first soloists. Very disappointed that Clarke has not been promoted. I personally would’ve promoted him above Heap but I’m aware that I am only a layperson here and do not have KOH’s insight or outlook!

I would have done the same.

• Like 1