The Royal Ballet: Manon, London, March-May 2018

3 hours ago, jmhopton said:

The close ups of Whitehead's expressions didn't do him any great favours.

Interesting....I thought something similar about Avis...I wonder if some performers exaggerate expressions so as to make sure they project to the far reaches of the auditorium, which then look too much for filmed close-up...

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Interesting....I thought something similar about Avis...I wonder if some performers exaggerate expressions so as to make sure they project to the far reaches of the auditorium, which then look too much for filmed close-up...

Good point

I noticed that Avis' makeup seemed rather more subdued then when I saw him in the theatre the other night.

Incidentally, it's struck me this year just how much practice he's had at looking as if he's got a bad smell under his nose :) Giselle, Manon, even Marguerite and Armand, perhaps.

46 minutes ago, alison said:

Incidentally, it's struck me this year just how much practice he's had at looking as if he's got a bad smell under his nose :) Giselle, Manon, even Marguerite and Armand, perhaps.

it seems to me that young male dancers get stuck with playing mostly love lorn men (e.g. De  Grieux, Romeo, Siegfried, Lensky) before they graduate to nasty old men like Monsier GM, Armand 's father, Capulet. Quite surprised that dancers are not on their knees at KOH's door begging to dance Colas or something in Alice!

• Like 2

I was in the House last night for the performance, slightly further back than my normal viewing (Row R Orch Stalls)) which may have affected my reaction to the proceedings.  I do like to be close.  (no comments please on how lucky I am to be in Row R -  I KNOW!)

I really enjoyed the performance overall, but it didn't reach the ultimate heights for me. Vadim is glorious at being romantic and a marvellous dancer, so much to love here. I'm very happy to watch him at any time / place. I don't really take to Sarah Lamb, though did see a marvellous Manon with her and Rupert Pennefather a few  years ago which was sublime. I think the partnership between her and Vadim warmed up and Act 3 pdd was excellent and had my spine tingling.  I am looking at this from comparison to incredible heights I have seen - Guillem/Cope, Zanowsky/Bolle/ Nunez/ Bolle - Campbell/ Hayward in anything.  I was interested in Act 2, to see her seemingly warming to Des Grieux (by the card table on the right hand side of the stage) much earlier than other Manon's.  I remember Roberto Bolle mouthing Amore, Amore to Marianela and thinking - how can you reject that!!  Sarah was much more receptive to Vadim. It made for good theatre as she then partially rejected GM, but then played along with him.  

So much to see and who to watch - quite a challenge. I did like Ryoichi Hirano as Lescaut, particularly in the drunken scenes - all in the eye of the beholder. I'm now a definite James Hay fan, so had to watch the Beggar Chief in detail - didn't disappoint. .. and then of course, there is Gary Avis as Monsieur GM.  So much more detail and characterisation. I was glued.  I don't think I have seen him play in so much detail before.  

So, I think this is my favourite of all ballets, probably, underlined by the number of times I have booked for this run. I haven't been to see the current triple bill at all - because I know it would not provide me with the same emotional experience - and I love watching the Royal Ballet.  I'm taking my 16 year old step grand-daughter tomorrow as a birthday treat.  Let's hope she enjoys it too.  It's a glorious cast.     

• Like 8

7 hours ago, alison said:

...didn't the interaction with Lescaut after GM has found his watch missing use to be that Lescaut - realising that the Beggar Chief is inevitably going to be found out, and severely punished - persuades him to pretend he found the watch and return it to GM, hence why GM tosses him a bag of money instead as a reward? 

I'm pretty sure that this was Sambe's interpretation during the Osipova/Shklyarov performance that I saw but not during the recent Hayward/Bonelli performance with Campbell as Lescaut. I was struck by the incongruity at the time.

11 hours ago, Richard LH said:
14 hours ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Yes the music is wonderful. Each time I hear it I pick up on another lovely theme I hadn't really clocked before. Well done Martin Yates and the whole orchestra !

But you don't like the fabulous music in Mayerling, Richard LH?

On 02/05/2018 at 21:45, JohnS said:

Secondly I can't help but feel how disappointing it is that Francesca is not cast as Mary Vetsera in the Autumn Mayerling.  She is absolutely made for the role and I can't think of anyone I would prefer to see dance that role at this time. 

I so agree! What a missed opportunity! :(

• Like 3

What a stunning performance this evening! I thought Alexander Campbell would be perfect for the part, but I hadn't realised just how perfect he would be! He looked right, made the part of De Grieux as credible as possible ( he is a bit of a wimp, after all) and his dancing was a joy to watch.He and Akane  Takada looked so comfortable together - they both seem to have the same lovely elegant lines. Not a very technical term, but hope it makes sense. And I am now definitely a fully paid up member of the James Hay fan club - and if there isn't one there should be!  I enjoyed his performance even more than Campbell's in the role. Marvellous dancing, acting, the whole package. The bonus was Gary Avis instead of Ben Gartside as the Gaoler. What an evening! The lady next to me had never  been to the ballet before - think she had an excellent I introduction.

• Like 11

I agree about tonight Ninamargaret. Another wonderful and perfectly nuanced performance from this fabulous cast. I just couldn't take my binoculars off James Hay, especially in Act 2!

• Like 4

I had sworn I wouldn’t post again, but cannot resist joining the praise for Alexander Campbell this evening. Of course, his performance was immaculately danced (and, intelligently too, with no over stretching of line for a length of limb not naturally his and hence no wobbles in the first solo) and superbly partnered, but what struck me, yet again, was how complete his interpretation was, and this in a role for which he had scant notice and rehearsal. So many Des Grieux have a poetic ardency that is pleasing but can pall over three hours: his Des Grieux was always alert, responsive, occasionally self pitiful (he wiped away tears in Act 2 Scene 1) but also possessive (those arms around Manon in the bracelet duet) and with his own jealousies. With a character who isn’t just a “romantic,” the ability to knife the Gaoler becomes more plausible and the journey is also his. Indeed, with the Massenet Élegie underpinning his key moments, I was even struck that the role is perhaps more central to the structure than we think: Dowell was, I believe, a constant in the creative process whereas as is now known the creation of the title role was shared between Sibley and Penney. This also makes sense of the music for the first pas de deux. Somebody wrote earlier that they couldn’t relate to its gloomily passionate nature, but this evening, it seemed the point. The affair was always going to end in disaster. If the first pas de deux were sheerly blissful rather than explorational the much loved Bedroom pas de deux would surely not make the effect it does. I very much hope Alexander Campbell will have an opportunity to dance Romeo next season, ideally with Francesca Hayward as their performances together seem to have a special intensity, but I understand he has danced the role elsewhere with Yasmine Naghdi which might also be magical: two such musical dancers....

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 13

18 minutes ago, Sim said:

I agree about tonight Ninamargaret. Another wonderful and perfectly nuanced performance from this fabulous cast. I just couldn't take my binoculars off James Hay, especially in Act 2!

And if he hasn't danced Mercutio why not?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Texan said:

According to pre-curtain announcement, Reece Clarke was out for "injury" tonight. I have a ticket for Monday matinee.....

I understood the announcement to be that Gartside was replaced due to injury, Reece Clarke was replaced. Hope all's well for Monday.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Texan said:

According to pre-curtain announcement, Reece Clarke was out for "injury" tonight. I have a ticket for Monday matinee.....

I thought they just said he was replaced?  I was assuming he was being rested in preparation for Monday.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

And if he hasn't danced Mercutio why not?

I was thinking that tonight, too.  The ROH database says that he hasn't - unless I've got it wrong - and I thought not either but I can so clearly see him in Mercutio's costume ...  He has danced Benvolio, of course.

If there's a James Hay fan club, I'm joining it too.  Mesmerising performance last night along with the rest of the cast - marvellous.  I too, found my eyes drawn to him whenever he was on stage. There were so many acting nuances to watch, let alone the dancing. That made a conundrum, as Alexander Campbell also shone again as Des Grieux, so I was also fixated on him too.  What I like about seeing different casts in the a ballet such as this, is the different characterisations the bring to the role.  The ballet steps might be the same, but the interpretation changes. So, this Des Grieux was anguished, even at his happiest times  when falling in love with Manon and dancing with her. There were no smiles, as there were with Bolle for example: he was ardent, extremely passionate and serious.  I loved both interpretations. 

Bennet Gartside has injured his wrist, hence his non appearance last night     

• Like 4

11 hours ago, alison said:

I was thinking that tonight, too.  The ROH database says that he hasn't - unless I've got it wrong - and I thought not either but I can so clearly see him in Mercutio's costume ...  He has danced Benvolio, of course.

Mercutio? Some Benvolios move on to Romeo.

• Like 1

I’m so pleased I managed to make last night’s Manon - thank you Sim, RichardLH and others for your exhortations.  I don't think I can add more to the praise for Alexander Campbell and James Hay - dancing of such refinement, elegance and passion.  Alex’s beseeching look, pleading with Manon to give up GM and recognise her true love, in Act 2 was heartfelt.  I thought James’ Lescaut really well drawn, commanding in Act 1 and not over the top in Act 2.  His death really made the point where less is indeed more - no need for histrionics.  

I must say I think James was brilliantly complemented by Yuhui Choe’s Mistress - fabulous dancing and a character fully presented without recourse to face pulling and very refreshing given the different take in the cinema.  I regret very much not having seen Yasmine Nagdhi’s Mistress but I found Yuhui’s performance a real gem.

This takes me to Akane Takada’s Manon.  I certainly enjoyed her performance and would be delighted to see how she develops the role in further runs (and her one off Mary Vetsera).  But I don't think I was as moved as I expected to be - I’ve been really taken with her Giselle the last two runs and much else.  And I can't help but notice that the posts on this cast have tended to highlight Alex and James, with fewer words about Akane.

But a fabulous evening - what a series of performances we’ve been fortunate to see, in some ways similar to the run of Mayerling this time last year with such strong ‘must see’ casts.

I’m pleased the logistics worked, home by 6:00, although I don't think I’ll be making coach my preferred choice.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, alison said:

I thought they just said he was replaced?  I was assuming he was being rested in preparation for Monday.

I hope that's the reason - fingers crossed.  I've been looking forward to tomorrow's matinée!

• Like 1

I'm still on a high from last night!

It's one of those things isn't it ... one of my "sacred cows" was dancing last night so its pretty much a no brainer that I was going to enjoy the performance!  What can I say...

Well, Alex Campbell had my attention from the second he walked on stage - he was wrapped up in his studying and looked almost embarrassed to be surrounded by such racy company.  That was his starting point and his character moved on from there.  His reticence when he saw Manon and then was captivated by her, his almost guilt at feeling that attraction was palpable.  His ecstasy in both their first duet and the first bedroom scene was almost tempered by embarrassment at the strength of his feelings.  Then his horror and discomfort in the brothel coupled with his unquenchable desire for Manon...  In Act 3, he was horrified and stricken with remorse when he killed the gaoler and then his tenderness when he was trying to lead Manon to safety.  The final duet was so passionate and so tender that I was reduced to sobbing out loud!

I thought that Akane Takada was just right as his Manon.  She was the young girl discovering the power of her sex appeal.  She was seduced by the trappings of GM's wealth and thought she could have it all.  Despite the fact that he was pimping her you could sense her love of her brother Lescaut and in the final act, when reality hit home she was terrified and heartbroken.  Her duets with Alex were full of passion but there was a cold calculation in her dealings with GM and her other suitors.  She was an 18th Century girl making the most of what she had but wanting it all.

James Hay was superb as Lescaut - an out and out nasty piece of work of a pimp.  His drunk scene was not a comedy act; he was a nasty drunk.  He was nasty with his mistress (gloriously danced by Yuhui Choe) and yes even nasty with his sister.

Gary Avis commanded the stage as the Gaoler in Act 3 - his was a performance of subtle maliciousness.

The  whole cast was terrific and it was an evening that will be seared into my memory for many years to come.

I would like to say a huge thank you to the lady who insisted on swapping seats with me for Act 3 so that I could catch every nuance of this final section of the ballet.

IMG_7530.JPG

• Like 14

That's a lovely review, Jan McNulty.  So nice that you have captured Takada's superb Manon as well as the performances of the men.

But I'm afraid you also gave me a good old laugh - I quote, "..... Alex Campbell had my attention the moment he walked on stage....."  Well, you did say ;)

Not that I am taking anything away from his Des Grieux, of course!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Great review and fabulous photo! I have an iPhone 7 and every time I try to take a close up the cast looks washed out (it really doesn’t seem to like the ROH lights)...any suggestions? 

Are you touching the subject on the screen to set the exposure meter or just pressing the shutter button?

Just got back from the encore screening of Vadim Muntagirov and Sarah Lamb in 'Manon' at the Trowbridge Odeon, thorough enjoyed it and was as good as when I saw them live back in 2014!

Special mention for Ryoichi Hirano as Lescaut, great acting, just the right amount of menace and the drunken pas de deux was funny and brilliantly danced with Itziar Mendizabal.

After having seen Shklyarov and Ospiova live on 13th April it was lovely to compare the two casts and for me they were superb but in their own ways, like I got enjoyment from both. I must say how strong the Royal Ballet is these days and the deep bench of dancers they have now, really a dancer or dance pairing for everyone and really lots of future talent as well, can't wait to see where it all goes!

Vadim Muntagirov continues to have the most beautiful lines in dancing today IMHO, Vadream indeed! He portrayed Des Grieux as a dreamy romantic poet and I felt really bad when he got strong armed by Ryoichi Hirano's Lescaut, like 'Don't beat up Vadim, he's so lovely!'.

I also liked Sarah Lamb, she was really good in the role and every dance step and action was clear and full of emotion.

And as usual the final pas de deux just gut punched me, everytime, combined with the soaring music.

Hope they bring this out on blu-ray!

Edited by WoodlandGladeFairy
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

I used an iPhone SE.  I try to touch the screen to set the exposure meter but I find everything moves on so quickly.  I won't say how many I took to get 4 half way decent ones!

I have often thought about trying to find a camera app that will allow a centred spotmeter to be set because I think the size of the iphone’s meter is simply to big to cope with getting a correct exposure for a close up of the cast even if you were sat in the first row 😫

And don’t forget, taking loads of photos to get 4 decent ones is standard practice 🙂

Edited by Rob S