The Royal Ballet: Manon, London, March-May 2018

1 minute ago, Rob S said:

I have often thought about trying to find a camera app that will allow a centred spotmeter to be set because I think the size of the iphone’s meter is simply to big to cope with getting a correct exposure for a close up of the cast even if you were sat in the first row 😫

I was in the front row for Act 3!  I agree, most of the closeups were way overexposed but I did get one that was OK.

IMG_6335.JPG

• Like 7

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that’s a decent enough souvenir of the evening. You’re going to be hard pushed to get anything better than that with a phone, I had similar shots  from mine when I sat in the same area a couple of weeks ago. I do wish they’d allow the use of a dSLR and a nice big super fast lens 🤣...or failing that how about they sell professionally taken shots of all our favourites during these curtain calls in the shop 💡 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

We, too, have just returned from a catch-up screening of Thursday's Lamb/Muntagirov performance in Saffron Walden.  Quite a pair, I must say, and a fine and eminently satisfying performance all round.

Ore Oduba and Darcey appear to be working more smoothly as a presenting pair now - but she is so much better when off-autocue and live with the dancers.  Oh, and that red star moment was still in the recording at the end of Act 1, as was Henry the vacuum cleaner.

• Like 4

Many thanks Jan McNulty for your post and photo and I'm delighted the performance made such an impression on you.  It's very good to see so many of the cast in your photo - I'd been meaning to say for some time how good Kristen McNally is as Madame.  Having had to dash away it's fabulous to see curtain call photos and there are also some great ones on Instagram.

A slightly frustrating Encore for me - I think we were such a sparse audience that the projectionist forgot about us so we didn't tune in until 2.15, just as the overture was starting - with no sound! A bit annoying as it sounds as though we missed an interview and some rehearsal footage with Muntagirov. Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed it once we got going. I think Manon (along with Marie Larisch) is Sarah Lamb's best role - it was a surprisingly wonderful performance with Rupert Pennefather and an equally (but less surprisingly given his exceptional talent) wonderful one with Vadim. Although not a particular favourite of mine, I am really pleased Sarah got the cinema showing - I sometimes feel that she is sometimes caught between the Osipova / Nunez and Hayward / Nagdhi axes, so good to even out the limelight a bit. As for Vadim, I am afraid he is beginning to unbalance performances for me - his dancing is so, so beautiful I simply can't tear my eyes away from him. I feel if a former Prime Minister were in the audience when he's dancing, he might simply say Muntagirov, Muntagirov, Muntagirov!!

I find myself increasingly intrigued by Hirano - he hadn't until recently made much of an impact on me but I thought he was an excellent (and quite nasty) Lescaut - he seems to get better all the time with his excellent Leontes and holding his own (no mean feat presumably!) with Osipova in Sleeping Beauty. The drunk dance with Itziar was very well done.  I am really quite excited about his Rudolf debut now.

Finally a mention for everyone else - Kevin O'Hare remarked how everyone has a a character on stage and the cinema screenings give a great opportunity to see some of the dancers in smaller roles in close up. It's really impressive how much effort they go to to create such believable characters - I particularly noticed the anguish of the transported women when they got off the boat, but all the acting 'on the side' is very well done and much more natural in my opinion than at the beginning of the run, when there was quite a bit of overdoing it.

Now for tomorrow's matinee ...

• Like 11

On 02/05/2018 at 15:47, MAB said:

Although people disagreed with me when I mentioned this before, in a Ballet Association talk many years past. Ms Penney claimed the role was largely created on her after Sibley backed out in the early stages of creation only changing her mind much later when the final form of the ballet was apparent.  Everyone will have a favourite Manon and both Seymour and especially Markarova seemed to live the role on stage, but I think Penney gave us more of the choreographer's intentions than anyone else.

I have just found my biography of Antoinette Sisley by Barbara Newman and in this she says she had to pull out of some of the creation of the role because of injury. " So before I started getting injured, we did the first Pas de deux, the bedroom Pas de deux, the bracelet Pas de deux, the solo, the Pas de trios, oh, we did a whole lot......So I had done those various numbers, but I hadn't done that adage with the boys and I hadn't done little bits where I'm concerned with other people because I'd never been with groups.I'd never put it together with anybody. I'd done the rest, except for the last Pas de deux - Jenny (Penney) created that - which I could never get together. I hadn't created it, so I could never remember it."

This doesn't seem to me to be someone who "pulled out" of it and then changing her mind. I know Sibley had a lot of time with injury and she seems to have had both hip and knee problems at this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WoodlandGladeFairy said:

Just got back from the encore screening of Vadim Muntagirov and Sarah Lamb in 'Manon' at the Trowbridge Odeon, thorough enjoyed it and was as good as when I saw them live back in 2014!

Special mention for Ryoichi Hirano as Lescaut, great acting, just the right amount of menace and the drunken pas de deux was funny and brilliantly danced with Itziar Mendizabal.

After having seen Shklyarov and Ospiova live on 13th April it was lovely to compare the two casts and for me they were superb but in their own ways, like I got enjoyment from both. I must say how strong the Royal Ballet is these days and the deep bench of dancers they have now, really a dancer or dance pairing for everyone and really lots of future talent as well, can't wait to see where it all goes!

Vadim Muntagirov continues to have the most beautiful lines in dancing today IMHO, Vadream indeed! He portrayed Des Grieux as a dreamy romantic poet and I felt really bad when he got strong armed by Ryoichi Hirano's Lescaut, like 'Don't beat up Vadim, he's so lovely!'.

I also liked Sarah Lamb, she was really good in the role and every dance step and action was clear and full of emotion.

And as usual the final pas de deux just gut punched me, everytime, combined with the soaring music.

Hope they bring this out on blu-ray!

Couldn't have put it better myself WoodlandGlade fairy! I too have not long got back from the encore screening which I possibly enjoyed more than the original screening as I was more tuned in to Sarah and Vadim and thinking less about the Osipova/Shklyarov performances which I loved. I think on balance now I am glad they filmed this performance and not the Osipova one (though it would be wonderful if they do that at the next Manon outing) Vadim is such a fabulous dancer with such elegant lines, especially in the fiendishly difficult opening solo I could watch him all day (Vadream indeed!) I did like Hirano's Lescault. However I did miss the bit of business in the first act when Lescault initially challenges the beggar about stealing the watch. However, I loved his drunken dance even though it was a bit OTT. The cameras really picked up his bemused expressions wonderfully.  The lady who was with me who hadn't seen the ballet before thought that was brilliant and said she'd love to see it again so lets hope for a dvd. She also said at the end it is now her favourite ballet! I still think Sarah's last act wig is too tidy and I realised later that Thomas Whitehead's expression reminded me not so much of Alistair Sim's Scrooge but the fabulous Jeremy Kerridge's interpretation of the same character in Northern Ballet's amazing Christmas Carol (if you haven't seen it get the dvd if it's still available) The final pas de deux reduced me to tears (again!) and despite the sunshine outside I wouldn't have missed it for anything and only regret they don't do Encore Encore performances. I could watch it every day and  hope the dvd isn't too long in coming. can't wait for next Saturday and seeing Francesca with Campbell as Lescault.

• Like 5

A couple of shots I managed to get last night, really wasn't sure I'd get anything decent with a very small light camera and a long focal length required in the amphitheatre but the first one looks like it was taken using 'Rob's Sacred Cow Recognition' setting :lol:....sadly this mode was completely defeated when a big bunch of flowers was in the picture too :unsure:

41034906615_485e23f858_o.jpg

40127176630_2b380cb635_o.jpg

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

I'd been meaning to say for some time how good Kristen McNally is as Madame. 

So'd I, so thanks for reminding me :)  And the makeup really seems to suit her, too.

5 hours ago, capybara said:

But I'm afraid you also gave me a good old laugh - I quote, "..... Alex Campbell had my attention the moment he walked on stage....."  Well, you did say ;)

And there I was doing my usual "oh great, I got distracted by all the onstage happenings and missed Des Grieux' entrance YET AGAIN!" :)

12 hours ago, JohnS said:

I must say I think James was brilliantly complemented by Yuhui Choe’s Mistress - fabulous dancing and a character fully presented without recourse to face pulling and very refreshing given the different take in the cinema.  I regret very much not having seen Yasmine Nagdhi’s Mistress but I found Yuhui’s performance a real gem.

Yes, it's good to see a different side of her.  I like her portrayal a lot.

3 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I still think Sarah's last act wig is too tidy

Takada's seemed to me to be pretty tidy too, on Saturday.

9 hours ago, alison said:

And there I was doing my usual "oh great, I got distracted by all the onstage happenings and missed Des Grieux' entrance YET AGAIN!" :)

I must have seen Manon at least 25 times all in all over the years and I think I can safely say I have missed Des Grieux's entrance every time! 

😂

• Like 4

9 hours ago, alison said:

10 minutes ago, standingticket said:

I must have seen Manon at least 25 times all in all over the years and I think I can safely say I have missed Des Grieux's entrance every time! 

😂

4 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Well, he doesn't really make an entrance, more a slither, when no one's looking!

Well, I was especially looking out for him and saw him "slither" onto the stage!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Well, I was especially looking out for him

Really??? :D 

I did actually manage to spot which wing Des Grieux came out of at one performance a few years ago, but am not sure I can remember which one it is now.

I’m glad it’s not just me who can’t clock Des Grieux’s entrance no matter how hard they try... I was really looking specially for it this afternoon, and suddenly it was the middle of the dance for the two courtesans and he was just THERE again! I’ve got just one more chance this evening.

A very impressive debut indeed from Reece Clarke this afternoon, aside from a minor slip and an inability to remove Manon’s diamond bracelet when required! I sensed his honesty and passion. It was great to see Lauren Cuthbertson dance Manon again, too; I breathed a sigh of relief as soon as that slide which caused her last major injury was over and done with. I’ll be honest, there are dancers in the principal ranks of the company now who I thought might put Cuthbertson in the shade in my assessment of this role, but I loved her from start to finish.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I’m glad it’s not just me who can’t clock Des Grieux’s entrance no matter how hard they try... I was really looking specially for it this afternoon, and suddenly it was the middle of the dance for the two courtesans and he was just THERE again! I’ve got just one more chance this evening.

....and me. The rest of the action ALWAYS causes me to lose concentration.

• Like 2

I'm afraid it was doing that at rather regular intervals this afternoon: "hang on, has GM found out his watch has been nicked yet?  Oh yes, that must have been a couple of minutes ago.  Oops!" ;)  "Oh dear, I should have been looking over there at that moment, but instead I was looking over here ..."

6 hours ago, alison said:

Really??? :D 

I did actually manage to spot which wing Des Grieux came out of at one performance a few years ago, but am not sure I can remember which one it is now.

The silly thing is that I can't tell you where he made his entrance I just saw him slithering on (great description) - I was sweeping my bins around the stage and just struck lucky.

• Like 1

Yes, I thought Reece Clarke did very well - minor mishap and a couple of partnering issues notwithstanding. Thought his solos were very well danced, particularly given it was his debut, so a great basis to build on.  For some reason Lauren doesn't quite do it for me in the big MacMillan roles (Manon, Mary Vetsera) as the passion just doesn't come across for me - I always think she has a very refined air on stage which makes her such a lovely Hermione (although conversely I think she is a fantastic Juliet)c

I happened to be in virtually the same seat as for the Osipova Manon and it was fascinating to watch the difference in the interpretations (albeit from a heck of a long way away so it may just be my imagination!). In the scene in the second act, when GM gives Manon the bracelet, it looked as though he was almost already getting a bit bored of Lauren's Manon while she was drinking to try and forget her sadness about what she had had to do to get where she finds herself (and keep herself there). In Osipova's performance GM seemed to be desperate for her attention while she was just busy playing with her bracelet and banging the table when one of the servants had the temerity not to serve her quickly enough, absolutely lapping up being the Queen Bee.  

How lucky we are to be able to enjoy all these different and wonderful dancers and their various interpretations.

And since the Lady MacMillan interview in the screening I am seeing skating moves everywhere!!

• Like 7

Lady MacMillan said that Kenneth MacMillan was really into ice skating when he was making Manon and wanted to incorporate skating moves into the choreography    - you can really see that in some of the turns when De Grieux lifts his arms like a skater and in some of the lifts -particularly the one (oh I wish I had the vocabulary to describe it) by the bed in Act 2 with a waist high lift where he spins round and while holding her lifts his leg off the ground.  Sorry if not very clear, Sim - did try!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Skating moves?  Sounds fascinating, please elaborate as I didn't see the screening!

Sim, here is the link if you want to access the Manon digital progamme:

http://www.roh.org.uk/publications/manon-digital-programme

This comes free if you give the promocode FREEMANON before ordering and, provided that you have signed in, it will be loaded into your My Library area. The interview with Lady MacMillan is one of the items in the digital collection.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

Damn it. Just out of this evening’s Act 1. I looked SO hard, at the expense of watching anything else in that scene, and yet still he just appeared as if by magic!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BMC said:

Yes, I thought Reece Clarke did very well - minor mishap and a couple of partnering issues notwithstanding. Thought his solos were very well danced, particularly given it was his debut, so a great basis to build on.  For some reason Lauren doesn't quite do it for me in the big MacMillan roles (Manon, Mary Vetsera) as the passion just doesn't come across for me - I always think she has a very refined air on stage which makes her such a lovely Hermione (although conversely I think she is a fantastic Juliet)c

I happened to be in virtually the same seat as for the Osipova Manon and it was fascinating to watch the difference in the interpretations (albeit from a heck of a long way away so it may just be my imagination!). In the scene in the second act, when GM gives Manon the bracelet, it looked as though he was almost already getting a bit bored of Lauren's Manon while she was drinking to try and forget her sadness about what she had had to do to get where she finds herself (and keep herself there). In Osipova's performance GM seemed to be desperate for her attention while she was just busy playing with her bracelet and banging the table when one of the servants had the temerity not to serve her quickly enough, absolutely lapping up being the Queen Bee.  

How lucky we are to be able to enjoy all these different and wonderful dancers and their various interpretations.

And since the Lady MacMillan interview in the screening I am seeing skating moves everywhere!!

I was at this afternoon's performance and thought Reece Clarke danced absolutely beautifully.  I found myself just as moved during his first solo as I was when I first saw Muntagirov dance DG in 2014. Clarke's lines and the way he uses his hands are really lovely.  

I saw the unfortunate (but very minor) slip, BMC - what were the partnering issues you referred to? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anna C said:

I saw the unfortunate (but very minor) slip, BMC - what were the partnering issues you referred to? 

My impression - I'd need to watch the video to remind myself properly - was that something went a bit awry late on in the bedroom pdd, and that because that happened (and where in the choreography it happened - a rather chock-full section) he then didn't have sufficient recovery time to get back on track before the next move, and then that possibly affected the one after that, so it was less than optimum, shall we say.  But that apart, it was a very good debut, and he danced his solos beautifully.

I must say, though, I'm not convinced about the (what the Germanic languages call) dark blonde wig Cuthbertson was wearing for the role.  Seen from on high, at least, it seemed to me to reflect (if that's the right word) the light too much, and left her features a bit washed out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I'm not sure how you miss Des Grieux’s entrance but I keep missing the point when everyone in the background freezes :lol:

Easily enough, since he rather wanders on, and is supposed to be a rather modest young man, rather than arriving on stage and going "here I am, look at me!", but yes, there have been times when I haven't registered the freeze until it ... unfreezes.