News from Upper School Auditions

JulieW

Hi Sarahw. No worries at all. I think everyone has a valid point to make, and I certainly don't take any personal offence at comments posted about schools etc. some of the experiences others have received are worthy of note but in no way to be taken as damning of the school.

People seem not to rate Tring highly as a classical centre, which is fine, but I think that is because it is Also so exceptional at performing arts in general. Those in the know, know. The training is there if the school suits the child. ????

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Tring students *have* chosen to leave Tring for the RBS though (unless they have been assessed out, of course).

Wow alieen...was this comment really necessary?  Perhaps that's the reason why those "preconceived" notions of a pecking order exist!!!!

So, is it OK to suggest that children may "choose" to leave RBS because they want a change of environment but heaven forbid the same might apply at other schools!!!!!!  

There is no escaping the fact that having RBS upper school on your CV will be fantastic and as has been said before by other posters, none of us would want our DC to give up the opportunity of having that...but is it really necessary to speak derogatorily of Tring in the process?  

As a Tring parent I take more offence at your comment above than any of the other comments seen in several different threads past and present over the last few days about schools / merits of / pecking orders. 

Why can't people just accept that not all schools will suit all people and that personalities will always hold a part in why a child either flourishes or struggles - alongside all the other elements that we all rationally know exist....talent, artistry, technique, performance ability, facility....the rest of the class cohorts' abilities, etc, etc.  

You simply cannot take away the fact that these Tring students have successfully auditioned for the RBS having trained at Tring Park and I think this is testament to the teaching / training / support they have been given (plus their own dedication, hard work and supportive families behind them).

That's it - I'm off my soapbox now.  I have refrained from joining in many of the "difficult threads" where opinions have made me think "What?!" but in this instance I felt I needed to.

• Like 9

Dancingdays, you appear to have misunderstood my point. These talented Tring students feel that their training would be best continued at the RBS rather than Tring, which is fair enough.

The RBS is one of the most famous ballet schools in the world and having it on your CV is very useful when it comes to auditioning for companies. The RBS has a very impressive graduate employment rate and the RB very rarely takes new graduates from anywhere other than the RBS. Those who don't get into the RB secure many of the contracts going at the other UK companies. Those are the facts, and that is why the vast majority (note: I haven't said all) of applicants would chose the RBS over any other school if they had the choice.

I didn't say anything derogatory about Tring and the success of these three applicants is testament to the high standard of the training there. However, they have chosen (as is their absolute right) to leave the school for the RBS presumably because they feel that this will give them the best chance of a job after training, which is a priority once you are in upper school. 

I don't see why you have taken offence at any of this.

The children who have been awarded a place at RBS US have certainly not been assessed out. They are considered, some of the best classically in their year group and if they want a shot at the Royal Ballet company (as EVERY other classical dancer in the world does) then pretty much, the only way to do that is go to RBS US.

I believe the discussion about school 'pecking order' was limited to junior schools - with the discussions going on at the moment on this forum, it can hardly be doubted that Tring is right up there for classical training. They clearly don't have 24 classical dancers in each year group as it is also catering for other very talented performing arts students. But the point is, if someone has the breadth of mind to see it, if they have the right material they can train it.

I think it gets more tricky at senior level as it is about getting a job at the end.

Edited by Harwel
  • Like 4

I had assumed that the Tring students who had secured RBS US places had not been assessed out but, as there is so much subjectivity involved in the audition process, it was always possible that the RBS saw something that Tring did not. I believe that Antony Dowson, a former dancer with the RB and former coach at ENB (the company), is a teacher at Tring.