News from Upper School Auditions

JulieW

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD is Central first year and they have no knowledge whatsoever about the auditions for this September, staff don't discuss confidential matters like this with students.

Last year Central final result were postal - I can well remember seeing postie approach the house with it clutched in his hand !!

Results did come out in batches, which was horrid for those waiting (DD was in the first batch, which was so lucky for us), but this does happen with other schools too. One girl in DD's year was on reserve list until August, but she is doing so incredibly well, one of the best, so it really doesn't matter when it happens as long as it does !

It's far too easy to try and work out an order of things in the selection process - I did last year, which made it even more stressful and most of my assumptions were wrong. 

I have said this before, that I wish somehow auditions could be adjusted so that they don't interfere so much with the GCSE process - our DC's will focus on their dreams first, it's only natural !

Oh audsjcanuck, what wonderful news - doesn't it show that things aren't set in tablets of stone. Huge congratulations !!!

• Like 2

Fantastic news for your daughter Audsj, lovely to hear how well they have done. I suppose the schools have their own methods and reasons regarding how they give out results. I'm sure that they are not trying to be inconsiderate or cause further stress, they are probably doing their best. Fingers crossed for those still waiting to hear.

Bailarin - how are you going about choosing?

Does anyone have any tips for making a decision? My DD and I both love each of the schools she has an offer for and are swaying in the wind a bit.

We've made a decision based firstly on funding/lack of funding and also pure gut instinct!  It's 3 years of their lives and they have to be happy.  It's hard not to be swayed by what everyone else is doing but I have to trust she knows what she wants. 

• Like 2

Yes being offered the funding would have to play a major part in most people's decision making.

So if that's in place for both/all offers ......then location from home might be something to think about....and what sort of accomodation is on offer..... other than of course which school did DD's particularly connect with at the time.

This can be difficult if it's 50-50 of course! But sometimes there's just an indefinable something that may attract.

It's a bit like choosing a house!! Once you're in it you just get a feeling of whether you could actually live there or not ....and often difficult to say why.......and often not the house you thought you might like......from piccies and external information etc. It's actually being there which gives you the feeling.

It's a wonderful position to be in anyway so best of luck with choices!

• Like 1

Funding, gut feeling, plus graduate destinations and academic.

For such things, I like a spreadsheet (hiya Katymac) with headings on the various aspects, and a weighting for each one. E.g. If you think academic is very important, you might give it a weighting of 2. Something less important, like food in the canteen, maybe weight at 0.6. And so on - location, funding, teachers, graduate destinations, friends going there, facilities, pastoral care, boarding facilities etc etc

Then score each aspect out of ten for each option. You should get a score that reflects your feelings by multiplying the score by the weighting, and then totalling all the final scores.

Or just go with your gut feeling!!!

• Like 4

Regattah if you and dd both love the schools she has offers at I feel a Katymac spreadsheet needed!! Things I would consider are funding offers, parental contribution, distance from home and ease to travel to and from for both her and you to watch class etc. Also accommadation, any meals provided, class size, dance styles taught.

She is a lucky girl to have a choice.

Hope things are going well at the hospital.

• Like 5

Great tips! I think I may have to go with the weighted spreadsheet as two of them are so similar in terms of funding, location and our response to them. She is on the waiting list for Elmhurst, but I'm thinking that a lack of enough funding under DaDA would make a student loan a better choice for us anyway. So we've got Rambert and Central. The problem is she just can't decide whether she's more ballet or contemporary!

We are very aware of how lucky she is to be in this situation!

Edited by Regattah
  • Like 7

Gosh that is a difficult one Regattah as I think the training in both ballet and contemporary is very good at both these schools and ex pupils from these schools do seem to do well to get work down the line.

Don't envy you your choice at all though Ive got a bit of a soft spot for the Rambert but the training will be excellent at both!

• Like 1

Oh well, the "nos" are out for Central. My dd got hers through by email today at 1201.

Congratulations to all that have been offered places. Very well done and good luck for your future.

• Like 2

That's a shame Debs  but thanks for letting us know.  I gather they intended sending these last week (but who knows, as this happens every year).  There are some "waiting list" letters going out too, so maybe by the end of today they'll have at least contacted everyone.  Hope for the waiting list students that people turn down places that aren't wanted asap!  

• Like 2

Thanks yes it does seem to be about getting the right fit but also I think my dd is a step behind her peers which is reflected in the outcomes so far, good set of finals, set of no's, set of reserves. She has funded offer at Tring which is fantastic though and I hope will give her the platform to catch up!

• Like 11