News from Upper School Auditions

JulieW

Aside from the practicality, I can't see how any feedback given at an audition could be useful. If you've not been chosen then it's probably for a number of reasons, but listing them might make it seem as if there was nothing positive to say when that would rarely be the case. Additionally, as someone else mentioned, there would likely be hundreds of people trying to appeal the decision, saying that the reason given was unjust.

When it comes to finals, the feedback for everyone who didn't get a place would be "We liked you, but we liked someone else more." The differences are so small at that stage. Everyone has a suitable physique, musicality, good feet etc and indeed, very many candidates who don't get a place go on to have successful careers after training elsewhere so a rejection doesn't mean someone isn't suitable for dance or even for that school. Don't forget that at finals, there are often interviews as well, so it could end up being that which secures a place for one candidate over another.

Much of the time, it's probably difficult to put the reason for rejection into words.

I have three friends who auditioned for the same school. Two were accepted and one wasn't. Although it was stated that no correspondence can be entered into in the event of unsuccessful applications, her teacher called the school and said that she had been upset not to get a place and asked if she could have feedback. The school said she just didn't have enough experience. This wasn't particularly useful, particularly as one of those who got a place was less experienced! The school's probably meant that overall, she just wasn't good enough.

• Like 2

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst feedback is something I would personally appreciate, I can understand why the schools don't provide it. Aside from the logistic, as others have said, it could cause a lot of upset and trouble. Whilst there are many dancers and parents who would respond well to even negative feedback, one only has to look at some of the reactions to results at festivals to see that there are plenty of others who wouldn't. I can quite see why the schools wouldn't want to get into that kind of discussion. And actually lack of feedback isn't confined to the dance world. Way back in the mists of time I was rejected by my first two choices of university, much to the shock of all my teachers. They asked why but got the standard answer - no correspondence can be entered into. My 3rd choice turned out to be perfect for me anyway, so with hindsight maybe those first 2 admission tutors knew what they were doing! Sometimes I think we just have to trust their judgment, even if it's a mystery or not what we want to hear at the time.

• Like 5

Reading this thread has reminded me of a dance documentary that was on TV years ago. I can`t remember what exactly it was,but I don`t think it was ballet,although I could be mistaken. It was some sort of an audition for a professional contract. The male choreographer/artistic director was the main focus I think,throughout the whole programme. I remember it was a British documentary and the man was English. A girl walked into the studio to audition. It didn`t show her face. The camera stayed on this man. As soon as she walked through the doors,he said to her,"Sorry darling,your thighs are too large". She wasn`t even allowed to audition. Wonder if anyone else remembers it too?

I am in the 'no' camp for feedback. I love the idea of positive, healthy feedback which is constructive and helpful and that all parties respond in a mature thoughtful way. Well I fear that is very far from what would be reality. Many of the decisions for a rejection will be physical and I for one don't want my child thinking their ears are too big or their ankles are too fat. I am sure much of be feedback would be of the 'not strong enough', 'not mature enough', 'not experienced enough' variety, which tells you nothing.

The schools just don't have time for it to be meaningful. I can't believe the timetable of some of these schools and the ones in the audition, are most likely the most senior teachers of the school who are invariably involved in the internal assessments of the current students, and the internal competitions then their own teaching commitments and you would need at least 2/3 people's opinion for the decision to be more objective. Logistic nightmare and in the end of very little value.

I like the phrase 'what someone else thinks of me, is none of my business'. And I think it applies here. If you love to dance, dance. If you want to put yourself in the hot seat and audition for professional careers, then you have to build self reliance and self belief. If someone's snap decision based on a small timeframe defines what you think of yourself and dictates how you move forward, then the sooner you find a different career the better.

I see it that you have 3 chances to get into senior school 16,17, and 18. If you have to, take all 3 chances, get advice from anyone you can, from summer school teachers, from your regular teacher and associate teachers. If at the end of the day it's not for you you've given it everything. Only mentally tough people get to work in this profession. At the start it's all about the physical, in the end it's all about the mental.

• Like 15

Of the handful of schools i auditioned at, two, upon an email request, gave detailed feedback. One school rated each aspect of my technique from below average, average, to above average; the other school explained their numerical rating system, and gave significant, helpful feedback highlighting my strengths and weaknesses. I appreciate that not all schools may be able to give audition feedback, however I think that the feedback I received was a vital part of the audition process and aided my decision regarding "what next".

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations Swanprincess! What fantastic news-I'm truly thrilled for you-I've been following your ballet journey on the forum-I was delighted to hear of your summer school success...but now-wow-you must be over the moon!! Well done you for not giving up on your dreams:)

• Like 5

Swanprincess, as a newcomer I have followed your posts with great interest as they are always a good read. You make a super role model for young dancers everywhere, and I hope when the time comes for auditions  my own dd can share your courage and determination. Many many congratulations and every good wish for the next step in your dance career.

Oh SP....what brilliant news!  I know what you mean hfbrew....I think we all feel so much a part of SP's journey!

I'll be raising a glass for you later!

You must be over the moon....your hard work, dedication and continued enthusiasm has paid off for you.  Ballet West is a great place :)

Well done!!! 

• Like 5