Anna C

Questions about Upper School auditions

Yup, I would have gone for age as of Sept 2018, as that's the entry date they are applying for. 

Do they really rely on references at such a early stage of the procedure? Not keen that Head Teacher is made aware of plans, post 16 so early on. 

My DD has had to give an academic reference for Central and RCS . Her school are aware of her plans due to missing school for dance related activities and I wanted them to know it wasn’t just a hobby she was missing school for. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Loulou said:

My DD has had to give an academic reference for Central and RCS . Her school are aware of her plans due to missing school for dance related activities and I wanted them to know it wasn’t just a hobby she was missing school for. 

Same here - dd’s school is aware of her plans and the extra-curricular demands involved and are therefore more understanding when her homework is late or she has to miss after school events. Also, I have already made them aware that she will probably need to miss some school days this year to attend auditions. Haven’t gotten around to applications and references yet - that’s a job for half term. We do have the photos ready though :) 

• Like 2

DD went through this last year. Her academic school know within the first few weeks of Year 11 that we were looking elsewhere. It was made easier because if she had chosen to do A levels two of the ones she wanted to do they didn't offer ( dance and English Language!) 

They were fully supportive and gave her all the time off she needed, all the staff were informed and kept up to date. It made it much easier even though some of the staff didn't approve they still helped her. Results day was the most interesting because she got straight A/A* was one top in her year but isn't doing A levels, some of the staff simply blanked her .......

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Loulou said:

We are struggling with the request for references mainly because of the close knit school and word getting out about her auditioning. She just doesn't want the added pressure from others asking her about the upcoming events then how she has done and then how to answer if the outcome wasn't as hoped. Keeping quiet was her choice. Having to ask for references put an end to that private element. Just wondering how others have overcome this issue.   

• Like 1

Last year we found that the academic school DD attended was very accommodating and kept our request for a reference completely confidential, sending it directly to the person who had requested it.  It was a similar experience with the reference we requested from the dance school.

However, we found that as soon as school and/or dance lessons were missed (a necessary part of auditioning from where we live) the other students soon began to talk!  It's just part of spending so much time together for so many years.  I think it would be impossible not to tell your friends what you were doing if they ask you.  On the whole, people are genuinely interested in what others are doing and want them to succeed, and they are understanding and sympathetic if things do not work out as you had hoped.

I think the whole auditioning process is extremely useful in helping our DC to grow up and become more independent, hopefully before they leave home to start training vocationally.

• Like 5

I’m awaiting the reference from dd school but would be very surprised if they told anyone, it’s being done by her head of year. Her close friends know about her Ballet and her Ballet ambitions , they are intersted and supportive whilst not fully understanding, so if she didn’t get in anywhere I doubt they would react either way, except I would hope to offer sympathy if dd was upset. Anyone outside her small friendship group wouldn’t know or care. Dd does a fair amount of dance at school and wants people to know it’s not just a hobby. She actually did a Ballet solo in the school annual eistedford completion just so everyone had an idea of what she does and how hard it is.I would also add she  very shy and quiet at school and only has 2 close friends. 

Edited by Loulou
  • Like 5

Anyone any idea how long a Rambert preliminary audition lasts?? The email explains that the end time is very difficult to predict as some are asked to do solos or interviews or physio checks, so they advise not making any plans for the rest of the day. But we have to book a train to travel home that day, so with a 2.30pm start time what would be the latest finish?? 

The audition process appears to have changed  since last year with the addition of a second stage. Last year applicants were also invited to a talk by the principal after doing the audition classes etc. Might be best to give them a call as I am sure they will understand about booking trains etc.

The talk is before the classes now. Talk at 1.15pm, audition starts at 2.30pm. I’m surprised they are looking at solos and doing physio checks after a preliminary audition, but I suppose the more thorough they are with the first round the fewer people will be recalled, which means fewer people below the watershed wasting time and money on a second round, so no complaints :) 

Auditions are not automatically offered to all applicants so you are already over the first hurdle.

Usually the talk is in the middle of the day so that those who have auditioned in the morning and those who are going to audition in the afternoon can all attend.

• Like 1

We were there till 630 at night so missed our booked train, my advise would be to have a flexible return ticket, we got to solos, interview physio

• Like 3

On 16 August 2017 at 08:37, arabesque1 said:

Hi 

hS anyone's daughter had offers from Northern Ballet fir September 18 ? My daughter has had an offer and just trying to find others. She will be 16 so would be good for her to know someone. 

• Like 4

This thread may provide a couple of useful member contacts you could perhaps DM.

If your search the Forum on "Northern Ballet School Manchester" you may find other threads of use too.

21 hours ago, Shellz said:

Hi 

hS anyone's daughter had offers from Northern Ballet fir September 18 ? My daughter has had an offer and just trying to find others. She will be 16 so would be good for her to know someone. 

Hi. My daughter has also been offered and accepted a place at NBS for next Sept.  She will only be 16 next July. 😊. Happy to receive private message if you wish to chat further. 😃

• Like 2

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:52, balletbean said:

Hi. My daughter has also been offered and accepted a place at NBS for next Sept.  She will only be 16 next July. 😊. Happy to receive private message if you wish to chat further. 😃

Congratulations balletbean and super well done to your dd.

7 hours ago, mnemo said:

Congratulations balletbean and super well done to your dd.

Thank you. X

3 hours ago, SwaybackSapphire said:

I wish everyone good luck during this emotional, tiring, reaching for the gin process.  You’ll get through it, trust me xxxxx 

I’m bracing myself for it!! Dd has only done one audition so far with an offer from Ballet West. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, arabesque1 said:

I’m bracing myself for it!! Dd has only done one audition so far with an offer from Ballet West. 

Me too! Congrats on a successful start. We start on 8th Jan at Rambert! Have applied for 5 schools in total, so it's going to be a busy few months. No way am I attempting 'dry January'! 

• Like 3

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum for a while and have finally made an account so that I can get advice for you'll. I'm 17 and auditioning this year to university dance courses and those at vocational schools which means that I am applying to 10 places! Crazy, I know!

Anyways I was hoping that anyone with experience of either the auditions for or actually attending any of the vocational schools I am applying to could give me any advice on them or just a bit about your experiences with them that would be really gratefully appreciated. I am applying to London Studio Centre, Rambert, Northern Ballet School, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and Ballet West.

Oh also I have to wait till February to have my Ballet West audition due to my mum only being able to get time off work to go with me then and was wondering if when you have your audition for them affects your chances of getting in as I read early in this feed that someone has already got an offer from a November audition - will places be mostly offered by February?

Thank you all for your help, I have already had three of my University auditions but my first Vocational school one is next week and I am terrified that I'll be rubbish and rejected as I don't feel like I can face my dance teacher if I have to tell that at the end of doing all my auditions I haven't got an offer from anywhere.

Thanks again,

Willow

Good morning WillowBallerina, a very warm welcome to the forum and a wonderful year to you! I believe that being worried and afraid not to be good enough for Upper schools is part of the process. Try not to think too much about the end during the audition but try and enjoy it as much as you can and show how much you like dancing instead...

There is a thread on LSC in here somewhere where you can get good information but if you need more, I have 2 DDs at LSC. Any specific question, don't hesitate!

Good luck!

PS Found it! 

Edited by afab
  • Like 2

Hi WillowBallerina and welcome. I think its quite normal to feel afraid and worried that you are not good enough - most other candidates are probably feeling like that as well. I am sure your dance teacher is well aware of how tough it is to get in anywhere and will be supportive of you no matter what the outcome is. One thing to hold on to, is that a 'no' can be a 'not yet'. There are lots of accounts on this forum of people who got into their dream school  on their second or third attempt. As regards Ballet West, they do audition throughout the year, unlike other dance schools who have set audition dates; and will always have made a number of offers by the end of autumn term. That does not necessarily mean that everyone who gets an offer will end up going there.  Some applicants choose to audition there early to take the pressure off auditioning at Tring, Elmhurst, Hammond etc and those lucky enough to get multiple offers can only accept one of them in the end. I have been told from a credible source that Ballet West do generally have spaces available until around May - after all there would be no point in offering you an audition in February if they were already full. Do feel free to ask me if you have any more questions about BW as I have a dc there.

Thank you all for the welcome!

Hi afab, thank you for the advice - could you possibly ask them about how they found the audition when they did it if they can remember?

Hi mnemo, thank you for the information - that has put me at ease about their offers. Do you think you could ask them about what the audition was like if they can remember?

I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect at the dance school auditions as I feel that my experience of University ones that I've had so far are quite different to what vocational school auditions will be like. 

Hi, my daughter enjoyed it. She is 15 and felt she held her own. She also auditioned st Kate Simmons and gif idfered at both. She went back to Kate Simmons did a nursery audition and had been offered funding which we were surprised at. She has another in Feb so still deciding  

• Like 1

Hi again, my daughters thought that LSC audition was very nice. Of course, an audition is always stressful but the overall feeling at LSC is people are nice so they're also nice for auditions. They don't put the level too high to see and teachers try to make people comfortable... DD1 was auditioning for MT so she did ballet, contemporary, jazz, singing and I think maybe a monologue. DD2 was auditioning for ballet so she did ballet, contemporary and jazz. 

I remember them being happy with the auditions after they finished... They felt they were given attention in a fair way...

Good luck!

• Like 1