Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/12/2018 at 07:11, balletbean said:

Ballet West is not boarding. It is self catering accommodation either on site or in village.

KS is Trinity Diploma with very limited funding. Accommodation in houses with all KS students and vetted landlords.

I was indeed referring to schools not in the Governement funding schemes.... though even these may have separate policies re: deposits (seem to recall at one MDS pupils pay deposit but refunded of place not accepted.... at schools discretion to refund or not non accepted non MDS places)

On 03/04/2019 at 23:06, Canary said:

Sarahw the landlords in local area where students organise renting rooms or houses together are not vetted by KS Dance. 

Oh sorry Canary I thought they were because of the U18s....

Most of the girls live at a queen Alexandra House in South Kensington - safe and with meals available ,  or homestay. With the move that will probably all change .... this is for ENBS

Edited by Kat09

5 hours ago, Kat09 said:

Most of the girls live at a queen Alexandra House in South Kensington - safe and with meals available ,  or homestay. With the move that will probably all change .... this is for ENBS

They are stating they may still use with the move due to ease of transport across London. They did not know much about accommodation available in the new area yet at Spring course.

• 1 month later...

Not an audition question, but could anybody with experience of Ballet West school please PM me? I understand we are not allowed to talk about it publicly, but I have been offered a place there and hope it is okay to ask. X I’m trying to compile a pros and cons list for the schools I have been offered.

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone could help me out, I have an audition tomorrow and the school requests a black camisole leotard. I have 2 black leotards with thin straps, one being a more classical camisole leotard with a small black flower detail on the front at the top (it’s not that big) from Bloch and the other leotard is a wear moi galate, which has slightly thicker straps and so I’m not sure if it counts as a camisole. I prefer the wear moi one but I was just wondering if anyone believes that it would be better to wear the Bloch one as it’s more traditional for what they are asking. Thank you x 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

I would take both! See what others are wearing and then decide! If the motif is not that noticeable I would go with that!

Good luck 🍀

That’s a very good idea! I’ll wear one and bring the other, I’ll have enough time after signing in anyway to change if needed, looking at the timetable of the day. Thank you very much 💕

• Like 1

For what its worth I would call the Wear Moi Galate a camisole leotard. And a very nice one at that. Remember that the panel are looking at YOU, not your leotard. Yes, ok, if they have asked for black camisole you would be daft to go wearing a neon pink tank leotard, but little details like a tiny flower or the width of your straps are not worth worrying about. Wear the one that you are most comfortable in and you feel you will perform best in. Goos luck, and enjoy the experience.

• Like 2

Just now, Pups_mum said:

For what its worth I would call the Wear Moi Galate a camisole leotard. And a very nice one at that. Remember that the panel are looking at YOU, not your leotard. Yes, ok, if they have asked for black camisole you would be daft to go wearing a neon pink tank leotard, but little details like a tiny flower or the width of your straps are not worth worrying about. Wear the one that you are most comfortable in and you feel you will perform best in. Goos luck, and enjoy the experience.

Thank you for answering. I did think that the wear moi was a camisole but I just wanted to double check! I think I’m going to wear that one, it’s actually my favourite leotard out of all of them (though my mum doesn’t believe that the number of colours I have in one style is justifiable!)  I will, I’m actually really looking forward to it! 

I do think Camisole is a very generic way to describe a strappy leotard. To avoid having to use no turtle necks no long sleeves no cap sleeves etc etc etc. 
Both leotards would fit the bill. I would certainly go for the one you personally feel more comfortable in. Straps that don’t slip and leg area that doesn’t ride up (hair spray on tights helps). If you feel comfortable in your clothing it will transcend into your performance on the day. 

Good Luck. 

ps. Best to avoid embellishments of any kind. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much meadowblythe. I’m auditioning for elmhurst, central, ballet west and btuk (I understand that the last two schools don’t wish to be spoken about publicly, but I’m not sure if it’s ok to mention the names - if not I can edit my post x). I have! I looked like I’d packed for my Duke of Edinburgh expedition all over again! But best to be prepared! My teacher has also mentioned Northern Ballet School in Manchester, but they I believe that they have  slightly later audition dates and so we’ll just see how I go, especially with mocks at school, etc. Best of luck to anyone auditioning this year. I wish you the very best 💕

Edited by BalletBear
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Could someone post how long it takes to get to London Studio Centre from Central London, e.g. Kings Cross. 

I'd say about 40 minutes. If you have any question about LSC, 2 of my daughters went there and graduated in 2019 and 2018. Don't hesitate and good luck!

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help advise where I can find accurate graduate destinations for the last couple of years?  With a few funding auditions secured, we're wanting to dig that bit further should we end up with a choice.  We all know that graduate success is the thing to look out for, but I'm finding it very tricky to find the information for some schools, with some highlighting alumni who are deemed 'celebrities', who may have graduated some 5-10 years ago!  Any help on where/how I can find more information on students from the last couple of years would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Don't most schools advertise this? I know my university department does, as it looks good and is reassuring to current applicants. Maybe ask the schools when you'r there for the auditions?

I've seen posts here in BalletCo listing where RBS graduates are going, for example. 

• 1 month later...