Anna C

Questions about Upper School auditions

London Studio Centre has a classical stream and ex-students end up working in different ballet companies. It has funding through Student Finance.

On 12/02/2019 at 18:27, Peanut68 said:

I think of not DaDa or MDS they can set own terms so read small print as expect some reserve right to keep deposits if place later declined.... I hear this is common place in the private school sector & that often parents will lay drposits for 2 or 3 schools in full knowledge that they will forfeit 2 of them but want to be in apposition  to choose...I think it is a common long established method of making money by these schools!!! I think the deposits are often lodged before common entrance exam even sat!!! Bonkers 

Hi Peanut68 - quick question re your MDS deposit comment.  So you know if this is accurate information - would be interested in understanding how one vocational school charging £155 for an MDS funding audition fits within the rules of the scheme. Apprexiate it’s a lower school query but fits with your response re deposits. Many thanks 

As it says at the beginning of the bit you have quoted, Peanut68's post was specifically about schools which are NOT offering DADA or MDS...

Posted (edited)

Will reply once reread strand 

Edited by Peanut68
Sorry - need to reread strand

On 15/12/2018 at 07:11, balletbean said:

Ballet West is not boarding. It is self catering accommodation either on site or in village.

KS is Trinity Diploma with very limited funding. Accommodation in houses with all KS students and vetted landlords.

I was indeed referring to schools not in the Governement funding schemes.... though even these may have separate policies re: deposits (seem to recall at one MDS pupils pay deposit but refunded of place not accepted.... at schools discretion to refund or not non accepted non MDS places)

Sarahw the landlords in local area where students organise renting rooms or houses together are not vetted by KS Dance. 

On 03/04/2019 at 23:06, Canary said:

Sarahw the landlords in local area where students organise renting rooms or houses together are not vetted by KS Dance. 

Oh sorry Canary I thought they were because of the U18s....

Does anyone have any experience at ENBS please? If so, I would love to hear about suitable accommodation for 16 year olds, experience of living alone in London, expenses etc.

Posted (edited)

Most of the girls live at a queen Alexandra House in South Kensington - safe and with meals available ,  or homestay. With the move that will probably all change .... this is for ENBS

Edited by Kat09

5 hours ago, Kat09 said:

Most of the girls live at a queen Alexandra House in South Kensington - safe and with meals available ,  or homestay. With the move that will probably all change .... this is for ENBS

They are stating they may still use with the move due to ease of transport across London. They did not know much about accommodation available in the new area yet at Spring course.

Not an audition question, but could anybody with experience of Ballet West school please PM me? I understand we are not allowed to talk about it publicly, but I have been offered a place there and hope it is okay to ask. X I’m trying to compile a pros and cons list for the schools I have been offered.

• Like 4