Anna C

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/01/2018 at 21:49, Shellz said:

Thank you for that. Where did she audition yesterday ? I hope it was good news. A very tense time for all. Good luck xx

Hi 

the wait from Bodyworks seems endless. Can I ask how long you had to wait for a response. This is a killer as it’s the one my daughter prefers x

KS Dance are holding a Vocational Audition at Pineapple tomorrow for all of their courses. You can simply turn up. 10 30am in London. If you are still undecided or want to audition for another Classical Ballet Vocational School that offer Bursaries then simply reply to this message or just turn up tomorrow ready for a Class with Kate Simmons and a member of their faculty who is a current Dancer at one of the UK's most prestigious companies.

10 00am Pineapple Dance Studios

www.ksd-online.co.uk

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder to please keep this thread for general (non-year-specific) posts/q&a about Upper Schools and auditions; it makes it easier to find information.  I have moved several recent posts regarding results and new starters to this thread:  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Shellz said:

Has anyone heard from Northern Ballet about Dada’s. Ive read on another forum that someone has heard but we haven’t. I think I’m taking that as a bad sign. Thank you Shelly xx

Hi Shellz,

I heard about my DaDa around a month ago, however I also know of another dancer who received their's only last week so you may still hear from them! Xx

13 minutes ago, Balletaddict said:

Hi Shellz,

I heard about my DaDa around a month ago, however I also know of another dancer who received their's only last week so you may still hear from them! Xx

Thank you, doesn’t sound like good news for mine but congratulations to yours xx

Some years ago I had a pupil who was offered a DaDa from Northern Ballet School, but was also offered places at other degree courses. However she hadn't had all the results back until later in May. So although she accepted one of these and released the DaDa it wasn't until later in the term, so there is still hope. If anyone is also on the waiting list for somewhere else higher up on their personal preference list things may still move.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 06:42, Pas de Quatre said:

Some years ago I had a pupil who was offered a DaDa from Northern Ballet School, but was also offered places at other degree courses. However she hadn't had all the results back until later in May. So although she accepted one of these and released the DaDa it wasn't until later in the term, so there is still hope. If anyone is also on the waiting list for somewhere else higher up on their personal preference list things may still move.

Hi 

Got a letter today and she has been offered a dada with Northern. Just wish all offers came at the same time as she still has funding audition for Bodyworks late May. Very tense time.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a DD starting at London Studio Centre on the Ballet Course in September. My daughter is going. There were about 23 at the Ballet recall audition but we are not sure how many will be going there.

Dd looking at applying for upper schools for Sept 2019 and after looking at websites and reading through this brilliant forum I am still completely confused by the whole process but need to get my head around it all in order to help dd make a decision. We completely agree with those that say go with the "feel" of a school but I am confused about whether she should be looking at the level 6 diploma or the BA hons degree? She would have to have funding as we are an average income household but does funding include the accommodation costs or do we fund that ourselves? How did you all start the process or selecting just a few schools to apply for? Dd is dance orientated not Mt although she doesn't mind doing it all for one year then selecting the dance route. Any advice please. 

• Like 1

Is your dd going to be 16 or 18?

Dadas are means tested awards for level 6 diplomas. They are not a loan but the amount you have to pay towards tuition depends on family income. Only families with an income under £30,000 get anything towards maintenance. If a child is wanting to start training age 16 then most dance courses are Dada funded except for a very few classical schools that are degrees. 

Student Finance is available for degree courses. You usually have to have a Level 3 qualification A levels or btec etc) to get onto a degree course so in practise most will be age 18. The exception as stated above is a handful of classical schools who accept 16 year olds onto their degree course. 

This is is where it’s gets a bit complicated. A student on a degree course can apply for Student Finance. This is a loan to pay for tuition & maintenance. If your course is at a university or being delivered on behalf of a university the amount you can borrow is just over £9.5k which covers the fees. 

If the the course is run by a private college & only validated by a university then the maximum you can borrow is just over £6k & you have to make up the shortfall. 

16 year olds going the classical route will often apply for both degrees & diplomas as will 18 year olds going the general dance/MT route although some will apply for degrees only if family income means Dada funding won’t be sufficient. 

16 year olds going the general Dance/MT route only have diplomas to choose from. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Boogalou said:

Dd looking at applying for upper schools for Sept 2019 and after looking at websites and reading through this brilliant forum I am still completely confused by the whole process but need to get my head around it all in order to help dd make a decision. We completely agree with those that say go with the "feel" of a school but I am confused about whether she should be looking at the level 6 diploma or the BA hons degree? She would have to have funding as we are an average income household but does funding include the accommodation costs or do we fund that ourselves? How did you all start the process or selecting just a few schools to apply for? Dd is dance orientated not Mt although she doesn't mind doing it all for one year then selecting the dance route. Any advice please. 

Google dada income bands. That will give you an idea of what you will have to contribute if dd does a level 6 diploma. Accommodation is then in addition and varies depending on where they train. For example Urdang is central London whereas Performers is Essex so accommodation is cheaper. Think KS dance in Warrington which offer private scholarships and bursaries (they Don't offer dada) may include a bursary for accommodation but limited info on their website. Likewise Madd in Nottingham are a charity, is level 6 but dont offer dada only their own private scholarships and accommodation up to £65 pw is paid for by the council. Not sure about the classical schools as dd didn't audition at those, although I am aware that Tring accommodation is 11k per year but they only have to stay in their accommdation for the 1st year.x

• Like 1

If she is 16 then most non classical courses will be the Dada funded Trinity Diploma.  The exception being Rambert which accepts 16 year olds onto its degree.  Rambert is a member of the Conservatoire for Dance & Drama scheme so you can access the full Student finance tuition fee of £9,250 per year.

Northern Contemporary is also a member but you need A levels or a Level 3 btec/equivalent to apply for their degree.  They do offer a one year Certificate in Higher Ed (previously known as their Foundation/Access course.  There are no fees for this course for students aged under 19 as it is classed as Further Education but they do emphasis it is only exceptional 16/17 year olds who are accepted onto the course.  Most would be expected to be older with A levels/btec.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 1

Hi Boogalou

Just to provide some additional information for your research 

Level 3 (equiv to an A Level) are RAD Grade 6 and above,

RAD Inter Fou and above

LAMDA Grade 6 and above

ISTD Grade 6 and above, all genres. 

There maybe other dancing examination boards that also are Level 3. Someone else on this forum may be able to help as I'm not familiar with those.

Diploma Level 6 is the Vocational equiv to a BA (Hons) Degree.   There are some Education Authorities that don't know this as well as the equiv qualifications.

Sad but true. 

Good Luck on your research. My only hint/tip would be, don't try to compare the different schools/colleges as they are all so unique in what they offer, just research each throughly. Qualification and course content, audition dates and process, graduate employment (closed auditions), accommodation, travel.  

The other research I did was to look at the profiles of dancers within each company (that fits your Dd style) and see where they trained. More out of interest rather than a deciding factor. 

Just on an additional note, whilst a qualification (Diploma/Degree) is important at this stage of research in reality when it comes to graduate employment most auditioning panels don't look at the Dancers profile (open auditions) and therefore have no idea what they were awarded. They are looking at the dancer themselves. 

PS RBS do not offer an qualification but then just having the school on any CV opens doors.......

Good Luck

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/05/2018 at 13:40, balletbean said:

Hi Boogalou

Just to provide some additional information for your research 

Level 3 (equiv to an A Level) are RAD Grade 6 and above,

RAD Inter Fou and above

LAMDA Grade 6 and above

ISTD Grade 6 and above, all genres. 

There maybe other dancing examination boards that also are Level 3. Someone else on this forum may be able to help as I'm not familiar with those.

Diploma Level 6 is the Vocational equiv to a BA (Hons) Degree.   There are some Education Authorities that don't know this as well as the equiv qualifications.

Sad but true. 

Good Luck on your research. My only hint/tip would be, don't try to compare the different schools/colleges as they are all so unique in what they offer, just research each throughly. Qualification and course content, audition dates and process, graduate employment (closed auditions), accommodation, travel.  

The other research I did was to look at the profiles of dancers within each company (that fits your Dd style) and see where they trained. More out of interest rather than a deciding factor. 

Just on an additional note, whilst a qualification (Diploma/Degree) is important at this stage of research in reality when it comes to graduate employment most auditioning panels don't look at the Dancers profile (open auditions) and therefore have no idea what they were awarded. They are looking at the dancer themselves. 

PS RBS do not offer an qualification but then just having the school on any CV opens doors.......

Good Luck

Thank you Balletbean, so does this mean that where a degree course requires A level or equivalent then its still worth DD applying at 16 with her RAD intermediate and ISTD Modern Intermediate? I was starting to think the degree courses were only for 18 yrs+.

As far as I am aware, if a course requires A level or equivalent, they probably wouldn't accept her ballet exams.  A "mainstream" university will require academic qualifications.  

However: A levels are not a pre-requisite for all courses. 

Dancewise, Central, Rambert and RCS all offer degree courses at 16.  You need GCSE's (or did when DS went).  You don't need A levels.

Some music students attend conservatoire with 1 (or none) A levels.

I'm not sure on the Hammond's set up regarding Foundation/Full degrees, but I'm sure Pictures and others will be able to tell you.  

Were you thinking of a dance or academic degree?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

A level equivalent means a Level 3 Btec or Cambridge Technical or the new RSA Diploma I’m afraid not RAD/ISTD exams. 

Thank you, so as Meadowblythe says its only Central, Rambert and RCS that do a Dance degree for 16 yr olds (Not heard of Dancewise).