Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

Hi,

My dd is in a bit of indecision about what to do next year as she really wants to carry on with A-levels and dance.  We didn't get in to Elmhurst, waiting to hear from Tring.  She is now saying she's not sure she wants to audition at Central or Rambert as they don't offer any academics.  Does anyone have any experience of doing academic study at either of these schools and how to go about it?  I don't feel very positive about her Tring audition and I'm really trying to keep as many doors open for her as possible for as long as possible.  Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks, xx

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for replies, Bedes and Moorland are very far away, and probably too expensive (we get means tested out of any scholarships, but still can't afford them!).  I don't think she would be interested in YDA, she has had some interactions with girls that have gone there and so I don't think she would be comfortable.  I'm probably getting on for leaving it too late to apply to other places now anyway, maybe if we don't get Tring it's just the universe telling her to take another path for now! x o

Hi there, 

Does anyone have any experience of Upper School offers being made with deadlines for acceptance due before other audition results are through?  If so, how did you deal with it? 

Any insights would be appreciated. 

Many thanks

9 hours ago, Loulabelle said:

Yes. The year my DD auditioned we had to accept Tring and Central before having other results. 

We forfeited a deposit at Central in the end.

Thanks Loulabelle - I was hoping someone may have experience of asking them to wait and them

saying “yes” but think I’m being far too optimistic 🤣

Nice problem to have on the one hand.... multiple offers! But again the issue whereby those on limited income dare not risk losing big deposits & might feel awful pressure to accept/turn down in advance of all outcomes being known.... it plays into the hands of schools too in that those offering early in with acceptance deadline dates may just get first pickings....

I think all the schools should put their heads together & create an honour system whereby they all have similar dates/deadlines then a clearing system perhaps so people can choose based on best fit & informed decisions rather than maybe rushing & choosing based on finance.... more like Uni entry? I appreciate the schools/colleges are in many cases businesses too with cash flow projections etc but theses choices are so so massive & impactful on young people & families & really do shape futures.... 

Maybe this could be something addressed by government body that overseas DaDa’s for at least those schools ‘regulated’ under this funding scheme?

Good luck to all...already feeling anxious for next year....😧

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tutusrus said:

Thanks Loulabelle - I was hoping someone may have experience of asking them to wait and them

saying “yes” but think I’m being far too optimistic 🤣

My Dd was offered a place at Central prior to finals of Elmhurst, RBS and ENBS. We accepted her place, explained the situation and didn’t pay the deposit. It is worth asking. Good luck with the auditions xx

Edited by cotes du rhone !
  • Like 3

I think the issue arises when you are applying to a mix of privately funded, Dada funded and student loan courses. Dada funded courses are not allowed to make offers of funding before a set date.  I can't remember the exact date off the top of my head but think its the 31st March.

Dd had an offer of a place with a scholarship from what was essentially a private school.  The offer was made in January and we had 14 days to reply.  At this point she had an offer with a Dada recall elsewhere but hadn't even done her other auditions at that point.  We just had to turn that first place down and it all worked out OK as she was then offered another place with a scholarship and one with a Dada.

At one college she was offered a college scholarship on the spot as long as we paid a deposit and a Dada recall (they said the deposit would be refunded if she got a Dada there. )  Or she could not pay the deposit and just attend the Dada recall.  Thats what she decided to do in the end but was offered a Dada by her first choice elsewhere.

I think of not DaDa or MDS they can set own terms so read small print as expect some reserve right to keep deposits if place later declined.... I hear this is common place in the private school sector & that often parents will lay drposits for 2 or 3 schools in full knowledge that they will forfeit 2 of them but want to be in apposition  to choose...I think it is a common long established method of making money by these schools!!! I think the deposits are often lodged before common entrance exam even sat!!! Bonkers 

19 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I think of not DaDa or MDS they can set own terms so read small print as expect some reserve right to keep deposits if place later declined.... I hear this is common place in the private school sector & that often parents will lay drposits for 2 or 3 schools in full knowledge that they will forfeit 2 of them but want to be in apposition  to choose...I think it is a common long established method of making money by these schools!!! I think the deposits are often lodged before common entrance exam even sat!!! Bonkers 

Certainly if it is a DaDa, under the terms of the scheme they are obliged to give a refund (technically I don't think they are supposed to even ask for one). In fact we received a refund of a deposit ourselves after paying to reserve a place for our dd, and then subsequently turning it down as she accepted a place elsewhere. We did have to ask for it though!

In order to keep this thread for general questions and answers about Upper Schools, I have moved several posts specific to this year’s audition results here:  http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/19420-good-luckaudition-results-2019/

Please discuss 2019 auditions and results in the above thread.

Many thanks,

Anna C on behalf of Balletcoforum Moderators

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2019 at 10:03, Piepie said:

Hi,

My dd is in a bit of indecision about what to do next year as she really wants to carry on with A-levels and dance.  We didn't get in to Elmhurst, waiting to hear from Tring.  She is now saying she's not sure she wants to audition at Central or Rambert as they don't offer any academics.  Does anyone have any experience of doing academic study at either of these schools and how to go about it?  I don't feel very positive about her Tring audition and I'm really trying to keep as many doors open for her as possible for as long as possible.  Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks, xx

Hi, academics at Tring are amazing - extremely small classes with a great standard - they pride themselves on it.  Dancers have gone on to become doctors, lawyers etc.  They come out extremely confident with great social skills. 

Hi, is there a list/table describing upper schools (classical ballet, with a goal to join a ballet company, not teaching qualification) available on the forum? I tried to look for it but no luck. What I’d like to know is 

US offering Dada/MDS

- Tring, Elmhurst, Royal, Hammond, ?

US with students loan 

- Central, ENBS, Ballet West?

US with bording facilities, incl meals

- Elmhurst, Balet West, Hammond? 

US with A levels

- Elmhurst, Tring, Hammond, ? 

My list probably isn’t correct, please correct it. I think that Northern Ballet or Rambert also have a classical ballet course but I’m not sure.  

Just now, Happymum said:

Hi, is there a list/table describing upper schools (classical ballet, with a goal to join a ballet company, not teaching qualification) available on the forum? I tried to look for it but no luck. What I’d like to know is 

US offering Dada/MDS

- Tring, Elmhurst, Royal, Hammond, ?

US with students loan 

- Central, ENBS, Ballet West?

US with bording facilities, incl meals

- Elmhurst, Balet West, Hammond? 

US with A levels

- Elmhurst, Tring, Hammond, ? 

My list probably isn’t correct, please correct it. I think that Northern Ballet or Rambert also have a classical ballet course but I’m not sure.  

Hi. Central offer A levels but up to the individual pupil as they apply directly to the nearby college. Not sure what happens when they move south of the river. Classes are taken in the evening so finding enough time and energy to balance the two can be a challenge. Especially if they go on tour with the school. 

Nothern Ballet School (NBS) pupils choose between Classical Focus and Jazz Focus for their 2nd and 3rd yr of Level 6 Diploma. All 1st yr pupils train in all genres. They also encourage all pupils to complete their examinations in RAD & ISTD up to and incl Adv2 in the respective genres. 

No A level options available. Accommodation is provided independently by UniteStudents ‘Halls’ about a 6min walk from the school. All self catering. 

Happy to answer any more questions about NBS if required. ☺️

On 12/02/2019 at 18:27, Peanut68 said:

Hi Peanut68 - quick question re your MDS deposit comment.  So you know if this is accurate information - would be interested in understanding how one vocational school charging £155 for an MDS funding audition fits within the rules of the scheme. Apprexiate it’s a lower school query but fits with your response re deposits. Many thanks