Questions about Upper School auditions

Anna C

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/01/2018 at 11:19, SwaybackSapphire said:

My DD now at KS and it’s the best decision we made. She is so happy there, teaching and care is outstanding.  Feels like an extended family which was important to us as DD a very young 16 (August baby!)

Hi

do you know if the nursery offered with Kate Simmons is for each of the 3 years or do you have to reaudition ? Thanks 

21 hours ago, WillowBallerina said:

Hey guys quick question - loads of the upper schools' auditions include a physical assessment and I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience of what that tends to include?

Hi, The physical assessment for NBS lasts no longer than 10 mins if that. 

Consisted of the a flexibility test, lying on the bed and pulling each leg in turn up to face etc . 

General turn out. Hip rotation, Spinal examination (for curvature) and a discussion on injuries sustained and general health. 

Prior to the audition, unlike other schools you have to submit a GP certificate to confirm good health so it really is just a minor assessment. Nothing invasive (touched), it was completed without the parent being present. She was rather apprehensive before hand but at no time did my DD ever feel uncomfortable, over in a flash and very relaxed feel given off by the staff helped. 

Hope that helps you.  

• Like 1

Well that's first round auditions over for us as Dd has decided to withdraw from two auditions (the local btec back up & a school which although is a good name on further investigation doesn't seem to offer what she wants & has no DaDa funding anyway).  Bit of a cat amongst the pigeons situation at one college who turned her down for MT snd offered her Dance instead so lots to think about.

So roll on March & April for funding recalls. Good luck for those still on the rounds.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 6

Love these curved balls life throws at us ..  is the funding/costs  the same for MT and Dance ?

You can tell which way my mind works.  Money money money (and no, I'm not proud of it).  Have just sat down with No. 3 child and shown a spreadsheet detailing accommodation costs, living costs, expected student loan, money she can reasonably expect from us, expected travel costs etc.

Oh, and another spreadsheet detailing the annual cost per annum of all halls in her expected city of residence along with distances from main building an other main hall of residence (which is eye wateringly expensive).

Why did it take me until No. 3 to go through this?

• Like 1

Funding/costs are exactly the same.  In fact there were far more candidates auditioning for the Dance course than the MT course.  We had the opportunity to be given feedback which we took and they were very open and frank.  Said they could have offered Foundation MT but that would not have been in dd's best interests dance wise.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi, The physical assessment for NBS lasts no longer than 10 mins if that. 

Consisted of the a flexibility test, lying on the bed and pulling each leg in turn up to face etc . 

General turn out. Hip rotation, Spinal examination (for curvature) and a discussion on injuries sustained and general health. 

Prior to the audition, unlike other schools you have to submit a GP certificate to confirm good health so it really is just a minor assessment. Nothing invasive (touched), it was completed without the parent being present. She was rather apprehensive before hand but at no time did my DD ever feel uncomfortable, over in a flash and very relaxed feel given off by the staff helped. 

Hope that helps you.  

Okay thank you for that information - it definitely helps as I know have an idea of what it will be like! All sounds very reasonable.

Thank you again balletbean! <3

• Like 1

I thought I would just let you'll know that I got a recall from London Studio Centre and I couldn't be happier! I opened the email on the train home from dance on Saturday and cried as I had so much doubt that I would get a recall. I have ballet tonight and can't wait to tell my teacher. I still have five more auditions left (1 uni & 4 vocational) before it's recall season - fingers crossed that the others go well too!

Congrats to those who have already got offers and/or recalls, you are all awesome people and good luck with everything! <3

• Like 14

53 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Funding/costs are exactly the same.  In fact there were far more candidates auditioning for the Dance course than the MT course.  We had the opportunity to be given feedback which we took and they were very open and frank.  Said they could have offered Foundation MT but that would not have been in dd's best interests dance wise.

Wow, sounds like a very positive day!  Good luck to your DD wherever she ends up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WillowBallerina said:

I thought I would just let you'll know that I got a recall from London Studio Centre and I couldn't be happier! I opened the email on the train home from dance on Saturday and cried as I had so much doubt that I would get a recall. I have ballet tonight and can't wait to tell my teacher. I still have five more auditions left (1 uni & 4 vocational) before it's recall season - fingers crossed that the others go well too!

Congrats to those who have already got offers and/or recalls, you are all awesome people and good luck with everything! <3

Well done Willow! I'm really happy for you! I remember this feeling of getting a recall even though it was my DDs and not me and it's wonderfully exhilarating... Enjoy!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WillowBallerina said:

Well done that’s great news ! Has anyone auditioned for Bodyworks ?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, smallbythesea said:

My dd auditioned for bodyworks last week.x

Hi Smallbythesea

How did she find it ? We’re there many there and what was the standard like. I believe it’s a 3 weeks wait now ?

Would love to hear all about it 

shelly 

I believe there was 18 in the audition ranging from 15 to 20 years old.Got a very good feel for the place. Standard varied as you would expect from an audition, however the students were of a high standard and very hardworking. My dd watched a class whilst she was waiting for her singing solo and said that there wasn't one person in the class not giving 100% and they were being worked hard. 3 weeks is a guideline. Dd had an audition yesterday which quoted 2 weeks and she found out today.x

Edited by smallbythesea

17 minutes ago, smallbythesea said:

I believe there was 18 in the audition ranging from 15 to 20 years old.Got a very good feel for the place. Standard varied as you would expect from an audition, however the students were of a high standard and very hardworking. My dd watched a class whilst she was waiting for her singing solo and said that there wasn't one person in the class not giving 100% and they were being worked hard. 3 weeks is a guideline. Dd had an audition yesterday which quoted 2 weeks and she found out today.x

Thank you for that. Where did she audition yesterday ? I hope it was good news. A very tense time for all. Good luck xx

9 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

We are at the point where we are going to start turning places down - which is a bit scary but Dd is fairly sure of her decisions. 

Excellent, PITF - congratulations to your dd! :)

• Like 1

On 19/01/2018 at 09:16, arabesque1 said:

What a great position to be in! Where has she auditioned?

She has auditioned at Hammond, Abbots Bromley School & SLP College.

She has decided to withdraw from Arts Ed & Jill Clewes Academy auditions. The former she feels doesn't really offer what she's looking for she liked it because she could do A levels there but they don't actually offer the A levels she wants. The latter whilst being an excellent local course with a great track record is designed to get children into degree/Level 6 diploma colleges aged 18 whereas she's already got two such offers. 

Dh & i both think she should have tried for Bird & Perforners but she says she doesn't want to go to London. 

I am waiting on some paperwork as one offer/scholarship was verbal with no specifics of the amount unfortunately one scholarship is not enough financially, the third only considers bursaries after DaDa awards are given out. 

Her Dada recalls will he March & April. 

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 9

oops - I put this on the Lower School forum when really it probably should be on this forum.

Hi everyone

This is my first post on BalletcoForum but I have been a silent observer (ie over my wife’s shoulder) for some time as DD navigates the world of ballet.

DD is in year 11 and at ballet vocational school, wanting to pursue a classical ballet career. Little did I think when we ventured into this world of ballet what the future would hold. I want to do everything I can for DD to develop a talent she has and enable her to fulfil her dreams. I think it’s fantastic to know exactly what you want to do as a career and be completely focused on it.

However, it does come at a price not for just for parents but the rest of the family but that it what I supposed we have signed up for.

Having successfully negotiated the world of lower schools (rejections, offers, injuries and recoveries) I find myself staring into the abyss that is ‘Upper Schools’. I naively thought this would be straight forward – oh how wrong was I!

I wanted to share my experience so that it may help others as their DD’s and DS’s pursue their dreams. However, before I start, can I just say this is my opinion only (my lovely wife and DD don’t know I am doing this) and it relates to classical ballet only as that is all I have experience of.  

My advice to anyone looking at Upper Schools is as follows:

• Start looking early. When I say early I mean when they are coming to the end of year 9. I say this because its all about trying to get yourself seen well in advance of ‘audition year’ so schools are familiar with your DD’s/DS’s name and their abilities.
  • Every DD/DS has weakness’. Know what they are and work on them. Trying to get schools/teachers to have open, honest and frank conversations is very hard but do push for it. That way you know exactly what DD/DS has got to do. Of course, there are things like turn out that you can do little about, however compensating work can be done to help.
  • If possible, do not limit yourselves to the UK for summer schools/Upper schools. This does depend on how independent DD/DS is but there is a whole world out there with schools as good as the UK. It will broaden your DD’s/DS’s repertoire not to mention the life experience it brings.
  • One of the reasons my first comment say’s start looking towards the end of year 9 (at the latest) is really important, is if you’re thinking of international schools. 
    • American Schools – there are some great schools in America which should be considered but to do that you should be trying to get on their summer intensives in Year 9 and Year 10 (if not earlier). This way the schools see you and are likely to have a place lined up for you (if good enough) for their 'Upper School' equivalent. Scholarships are also available. If you leave it until ‘normal’ UK auditioning time, it’s likely to be too late (not impossible) but you won’t have any experience of the school you are applying for, which makes it nerve racking and the position my DD finds herself in. The downside to American summer intensives is that they start before the UK summer holiday begins so you will either need to take them out of school early and join the intensive late. In my opinion, if they want to pursue a career in ballet, then take the risk and take them out of school early in the summer (I can’t believe I’m actually saying that as it goes against everything my natural instinct is telling me but for a DD so focused on classical ballet, it would have been the right thing to do if only someone had told me).
    • European Schools – Like America there are some great schools in Europe which should be considered. Ballet classes in the more well known schools (apart from the odd exception) are taught in English so that’s not a problem. Summer schools in European (timing wise) are more like the UK so that’s not an issue. If affordable, it is good to give them exposure to other styles/methods of teaching and meeting other similarly mind ballerinas from around the world. This is the important bit - If you believe DD/DS can turn ballet into a career and they are good enough, then consider taking them to one of the top European schools early and do GCSE’s through online schooling. That way they are well placed to join the Upper Schools when the time comes. As with the American schools, I didn’t knew about this at the time but subsequently noticed what other people who are ‘in the know’ had done successfully.
    • UK Schools – Yes there are some great UK schools and if your DD can get into one they want then that’s fantastic. However, if they don’t and they want options then these are limited outside of remaining UK schools if you have not already considered what I said above re American and European schools.
  • Private Lessons – wow, now that takes expense to a whole new level. DD has had privates with some great teachers who have really helped her over and above the school she attends. Being in the middle of UK audition season right now I think it has been worth it as there were areas DD needed to improve on. Are they absolutely necessary – no they are not, as I have seen quite a few DD’s get great schools without the need for privates.
  • Body Shapes – as I am even typing this I nervous about saying the wrong thing but here are my views for what they are worth. European and Far Eastern DD’s tend to be thin, flexible with great on-stage presence from years of competitions and show performances.  That is what the world stage looks like and what a lot of International Upper Schools are looking for. There I’ve said it. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, that’s just the way it is (or at least what I have seen). There is a school for everyone, it’s a matter of trying the find the right one for them
  • Audition by DVD – DD’s/DS’s will never look as good on DVD as they do in person. Whoever is reviewing the DVD has the time to replay over and over again so all DD’s/DS’s blemishes are visible. Don’t take the making of these lightly. Whilst they are only there to get DD/DS in the door to be seen face to face, they have to be done properly. As painful as it might be, keep doing it over and over again until its right. Also, don’t do the audition DVD to early, try and get the timing right when DD/DS looks in good shape (physically and mentally) as it will come across on the DVD.

I am sorry this has been such a long opening post on the forum but it has been playing on my mind for some time to air what my experience has been so hopefully it can help others.

• Like 16

It's a very interesting post NaiveDad. As a mum to 2 elder DDs, I relate totally with what you said and especially with the part about body shapes that worried you so... and with the preparing early for Upper Schools too...

Edited by afab