DON QUIXOTE - ROYAL BALLET AUTUMN 2023

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

A friend who is a Friend got me into the pre show talk with Kevin O Hare

That might have been a good time to ask about his staging la Fille or not and get a definitive answer either if there was a Q&A or by cornering him afterwards. Definitely a missed opportunity 😉 Now back to Don Quixote…

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

I always have trouble identifying Lukas B for some reason ( the lead in the gypsy scene)

Lukas BB was also the tallest matador in Act 1 last night and also was lead Fandango dancer in Act 3. As gypsy lead he can be distinguished by the tattoo on his torso. He is getting some decent roles to dance this season and is currently the only dancer on the published cast lists for both Anemoi (first cast) & The Cellist (second cast).

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Does anyone know where I can find a transcript of what Mercedes and top gypsy bloke says...because to me it sounds like Lukas says 'thank you'  😄

when he get thems to calm down after the flare up in the camp he says "Tranquillo !!" or "Cool it !!"

in Act 1 the matador shouts Y Viva Espagna oops i mean Viva Espada!

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I am so looking forward to seeing Yasmine and Matthew on Saturday evening. Then it’s a long wait until November for Fumi and Will and then Matthew again but with Mayara on the date when whatever it is that we were supposed to have been told about weeks ago but are still none the wiser is happening.
These performances are so good that it’s just too long a wait between 14 October and 3 November. If the tickets weren’t so ridiculously expensive, I would definitely be snapping up something up between those dates. And I am now very curious as to who could be the bonus Espada dancing with Fumi and Will in the Saturday matinee, and assuming that the 3 November will yield the same Espada, so don’t let us down, whoever you are!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, PeterS said:

That might have been a good time to ask about his staging la Fille or not and get a definitive answer either if there was a Q&A or by cornering him afterwards. Definitely a missed opportunity 😉

Indeed so - when 'Fille' slipped out, you could almost feel the whole room bristle with the question - when is it coming back? (if not - why not??)

Yet none of us had the gumption to ask it aloud 😞

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Indeed so - when 'Fille' slipped out, you could almost feel the whole room bristle with the question - when is it coming back? (if not - why not??)

Yet none of us had the gumption to ask it aloud 😞

my intel is that Monica Mason was button-holed, asked the question and that she is now on the case....

back to Don Q...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I’m at a loss here! Did somebody mention Fille at that talk 🤔

There was a Q and A but as the talk was centred on Don Q I wouldn’t have brought up Fille then anyway! 
There was an interesting question about how partnerships were decided by the Company and how much say the dancers had etc. 

28 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m at a loss here! Did somebody mention Fille at that talk 🤔

At one point in his talk, KOH ‘misspoke’ and started to say ‘La Fille m……’ instead of Don Quixote. He quickly corrected himself!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 1

Yes a good job I missed that slip then or I would have been busy bristling as well!! 
Maybe next Spring when it’s nearly ready for next years season to be announced we should all email and remind we haven’t seen Fille for a while ☹️

Peter S I hope you are not being ironic! 

Edited by LinMM

2 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes a good job I missed that slip then or I would have been busy bristling as well!! 
Maybe next Spring when it’s nearly ready for next years season to be announced we should all email and remind we haven’t seen Fille for a while ☹️

They are very aware of that, but every mention on IG or asking the question of when we will see it again gets ignored.  Also, seasons are planned a couple of years in advance so I will be interested to see if Fille appears next season.  I'm not holding my breath, but I would so love to be wrong.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, LinMM said:

There was an interesting question about how partnerships were decided by the Company and how much say the dancers had etc. 

To which the answer was..............???

[Incidentally, it appears that only a select few were invited to book for this event. I wasn't aware that it was on!]

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

To which the answer was..............???

[Incidentally, it appears that only a select few were invited to book for this event. I wasn't aware that it was on!]

i believe it was primarily for Friends who had tickets for Don Q that evening.  It had been in the Friends newsletter either online or print copy, i can't remember which.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am in correspondence with Alex Beard around this and other issues and, as I have screenshots of the position yesterday and today, I will ask him.

Slightly more difficult is approaching people in those seats and posing the direct question. I will see how brave I feel on the day!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Having seen all the fabulous posts about Wednesday’s Nagdhi/Ball public performance and the Kaneko/Bracewell clips, I’m hugely looking forward to Saturday. And I think Friday evening will also be another treat given last Saturday’s O’Sullivan/McRae matinee. Before seeing the General Rehearsal and Opening Night, I had thought perhaps I was rather overdoing Don Q but with so many ‘must see’ casts and the Royal Ballet in such good form, I’m very pleased with my bookings. And the Royal Ballet’s weekend scheduling certainly helps make the most of overnight stays.

I do though wonder why the cinema relay is so late in the run - just three performances after the relay with two of those pretty much sold out. I’d assumed cinema relays helped generate sales so having the relay early in the run would be better. But I’ve never seen any data on this.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, annamk said:

So yesterday afternoon there were many unsold stalls seats for the Don Q matinee tomorrow and now they have all gone.

Funny, that. I suppose by now they must have a long list of those deemed worthy 😕  Are they still doing student offers? It would be sensible.

As I posted previously, I saw offers on todaytix for the opera, but haven't seen anything similar for the ballet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, annamk said:

So yesterday afternoon there were many unsold stalls seats for the Don Q matinee tomorrow and now they have all gone.

This evening's performance also suddenly looks suspiciously well-sold compared to the last few days. As someone currently nervously hovering over my computer praying I can get Friday rush tickets for tomorrow, because £52 is the maximum I can afford, it's a bit depressing to think that many in the audience will probably have got much better seats for much less money!

Added: At least I've got tickets for tomorrow. (I wish I didn't find ticket buying so damn stressful though. I'm all shaky from the anxiety right now.)

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 9

14 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

This evening's performance also suddenly looks suspiciously well-sold compared to the last few days. As someone currently nervously hovering over my computer praying I can get Friday rush tickets for tomorrow, because £52 is the maximum I can afford, it's a bit depressing to think that many in the audience will probably have got much better seats for much less money!

Added: At least I've got tickets for tomorrow. (I wish I didn't find ticket buying so damn stressful though. I'm all shaky from the anxiety right now.)

I thought that, there were so many tickets yesterday, including boxes, and a lot in the stalls, and now they're all gone all of a sudden? It seems very strange that they would all go last minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candleque said:

Is anyone a member of Central Tickets? I just stumbled upon their seat filler service. Don't know if they ever have ballet. An article in the Guardian (2018) says there are several agencies like this, but doesn't name the others.

I'm not on this group but am on another seat filling group and haven't ever seen anything for ROH.

TimeOut offers has previously had ROH deals but not this season (yet).

My daughter is YoungROH but no offers - unless they are only sending to people who haven't booked yet.

Could be an NHS list?

• Like 1

I’m on holiday at the moment so won’t always have access to Forum but regards partners ( somebody at the talk can correct me if wrong) I thought Kevin said that with the big classics he usually pairs the dancers ( though he did mention another name who also has a say on performances….was it somebody in charge of staging? 
Anyway they seemed to have noticed how good the Naghdi/Ball pairing was on many levels so obviously want to show that pairing …I’m sure he also said like Fumi and Will!! 
But dancers can have say on some pairings (but I inferred that still at the over sight of the management) 

If somebody else remembers more that’s great as some of the time I wasn’t fully paying attention and drifted off at one point trying to remember ballets I’d seen Leanne Benjamin in …particularly recalling Requiem! 
My friend was a Friend going to Don Q that night so not sure if that’s how she got the invite. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’m on holiday at the moment so won’t always have access to Forum but regards partners ( somebody at the talk can correct me if wrong) I thought Kevin said that with the big classics he usually pairs the dancers ( though he did mention another name who also has a say on performances….was it somebody in charge of staging? 
Anyway they seemed to have noticed how good the Naghdi/Ball pairing was on many levels so obviously want to show that pairing …I’m sure he also said like Fumi and Will!! 
But dancers can have say on some pairings (but I inferred that still at the over sight of the management) 

If somebody else remembers more that’s great as some of the time I wasn’t fully paying attention and drifted off at one point trying to remember ballets I’d seen Leanne Benjamin in …particularly recalling Requiem! 
My friend was a Friend going to Don Q that night so not sure if that’s how she got the invite. 

Thanks. Very interesting to read! 

I am 'doing the double' tomorrow and would love to meet any forumites who would like to say hello.  We will be sitting right next to the small staircase that goes from the Floral Hall into the old part of the House.  As you look at the stairs we are usually immediately to the left of them.  Even if there are a few of us please come and say hello if you fancy it.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am 'doing the double' tomorrow and would love to meet any forumites who would like to say hello.  We will be sitting right next to the small staircase that goes from the Floral Hall into the old part of the House.  As you look at the stairs we are usually immediately to the left of them.  Even if there are a few of us please come and say hello if you fancy it.  

I'd love to say hello again :) 

• Like 1